Halloween Games 2016

Started by JasonPratt, September 27, 2016, 11:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I don't care that it isn't October yet, even on that other side of our planet opposite Tennessee.

Might as well get the thread started!  :smitten:

I shall start by not literally composing silly songs again out of love for Sang Froid: Tales of Werewolves, for which I expect to be handsomely thanked. But which, being quite the baroque operator, I shall mention as always anyway. (Also, as always, I feel an urge to play Batman: Arkham Asylum, which is the most Halloweenish of the Arkham games, being set entirely in and around what might as well be a 'haunted mansion' trail where people dressed like ghouls pop out to scare you. Except you get to hunt and scare and pound them as the freaking Batman.  ;D )

But what's new for the 2016 season this year, or other worthy standbyes from years of old? Castlevania: Lord of Shadows? (Not so much LoS2, for me.) I haven't gotten even fully started on Alien: Isolation yet! -- note to self, should get on that and maybe do a literary AAR tying it to Warhammer 40K....
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

I think I'll use the Halloween season to give Alien Isolation a good outing - lights out and all.  :idiot2:
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

If anyone hasn't gotten into 7 Days to Die yet, its early game is strongly Halloweenish. I'm a bit burned out on it right now, though.

In an unexpected way, Red Dead Redemption hits a lot of the Halloween notes for me -- and that was even before the excellent alternate-ending epilogue campaign Undead Nightmare.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Greybriar

I wonder how good a Halloween game Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers 20th Anniversary Edition would be? I bought it from GOG awhile back and never got around to installing it. Its predecessor was a great game back in the day and this 20th Anniversary Edition has an 8.1 User Score at Metacritic. Halloween might be just the time for me to install it and check it out.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

I dunno, but the sequel about the werewolves was pretty tense the first time I played it through. (I've beaten it twice, maybe three times. Never played either of the other two.)

For that matter, Quest For Glory IV has some really nice Halloween aesthetics (though it isn't at all scary of course.)

Meanwhile...

0.) Sat down this afternoon after work to play Alien: Isolation

00.) Thought about where I was in the game already, and how to design a visual-narrative AAR from it.

000.) Realized I was delaying.

0000.) Realized I was delaying.

00000.) Realized I can't even continue playing Rake, and that's a crappy indie FPS.

000000.) Reconsidered my life choices.

0000000.) Hoped GoG will fix The Saboteur soon and found an Arkham game to play.

:buck2:

Gusington

Damn I'm getting older and slower. I usually start this thread :(

I whole heartily recommend Witcher 3 because it is filled with monsters, wraiths and darkness.

I played Lords of Shadow three Halloweens ago and liked it a bit, but it was very very much on rails. If you can look past that, you'll probably like it.

Also try Grim Dawn (which I like a lot and must get back to now that it's complete) and I want to try SOMA because a lot of people soiled themselves playing it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Con

jomni

WITP. Get scared by this monster game

chemkid

halloween's just the right season to give the latest Dwarf Fortress another try. again...  :-[

(now with 64bit support and so many more features than my last try... it's SCARY!)  O0

JasonPratt

64 bit DF does sound scary, whew! HOW MANY ASCIIS CAN YOU CRAM IN WITH 64 BITS!?

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on September 27, 2016, 05:40:00 PM
I whole heartily recommend Witcher 3 because it is filled with monsters, wraiths and darkness.

Yep, I should think any of the Witcher games would work well.

Maybe Skyrim, too; it's pretty dark fantasy, and the outland woods, being far northern, seem aesthetically right -- most of the aesthetics really.

I mentioned to someone else that Lord of the Rings Online should be doing its Fall Festival soon, which in the past has including turning Bilbo's home into a Haunted House attraction.  :))

mirth

I own, and have long been meaning to play, Eternal Darkness - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Darkness
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I 2nd Skyrim too...now my 2nd favorite RPG of recent times.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I managed to find something a little Halloween-ish. Pillars of Eternity- The White March. There's a guy who has the thing, to get into the thing, to find the thing and you go to his house and underneath is like a Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory of dark, winding hallways filled with traps, rooms with abandoned body parts laying around, sparking electrical equiptment still running, and specimen tanks. All guarded by 'constructs' of various kinds. Some with body parts wrongly attached or mannequin-like bodies without heads or arms roaming around. Some that explode into fireballs or toxic gas when they die and such. It's not THAT spooky, but at least it makes an attempt. And it's fun.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Dammit Carl!

If I can pry my fingers from the W,A,S, and D keys, the spacebar, and the Shift key (not to mention the 1 through 6 keys too) during my current WoT fascination long enough, I'm certainly going to cue up all my zombie related games at some point - and boy howdy do I have plenty to go from.

Look forward to see if and how any of the current multiplayer games I've got use the season to showcase some scary bits.  Would be sweet if Verdun could get something spooky going in the trenches.