Thoughts on L'nL Nations at War / World at War series?

Started by Crossroads, September 03, 2016, 09:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I have the World at War:Blood and Bridges game and I have to say, like other games from LnL, I found the rule book poorly laid out and difficult to understand in places. I don't think there was an example play through either.

I love the map. I love the counters. I love the mechanics - I just couldn't understand the rules. I think I done an AAR around here somewhere...or started one and you can see my confusion.

Caveat - I do tend to overthink rules sometimes, resulting in questions that perhaps others either don't think of (because they aren't really issues - I made them up) or my bad memory gets in the way.

In fact - here it is
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8072.0
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 19, 2016, 02:08:02 AM
I have the World at War:Blood and Bridges game and I have to say, like other games from LnL, I found the rule book poorly laid out and difficult to understand in places. I don't think there was an example play through either.

I love the map. I love the counters. I love the mechanics - I just couldn't understand the rules. I think I done an AAR around here somewhere...or started one and you can see my confusion.

Caveat - I do tend to overthink rules sometimes, resulting in questions that perhaps others either don't think of (because they aren't really issues - I made them up) or my bad memory gets in the way.

In fact - here it is
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8072.0

Thanks!

I am quite easy on the rules, I play it often with a there-or-thereabouts attitude, and of course the more you play one system the better you learn it. I'll let you know how our game went, once we played it! I expect lots of wrecks and mayhem all around  :knuppel2:  :smitten:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JudgeDredd

Yeah - I should've probably stuck with it. Trouble is, like anything you want to enjoy, if it's fighting you, you find something else (to relieve the frustration...borne from the game or yourself) and move one...sometimes never to go back.

I've still got thew map in a perspex frame...so I haven't given up on it totally. I liked the idea of the long range stuff and modern warfare
Alba gu' brath

Crossroads

Just finished a Thursday Wargaming session against Tinkershuffle playing "Angels of Death", from Blood and Bridges. Was a proper mayhem, with wreck markers left right and middle  :knuppel2:

What looks like an innocent looking map corner will soon turn to a burial site for Soviet armor. Here's my first lambs to the slaughter!

I believe we managed 97% of the rules, some odd details like if a disrupted unit retreats from minefield to another mine hex and receives another disruption, should it take a step loss? We'll continue with the series for another scenario some coming thursday. I'll see if I have the time to put a little AAR here, to clarify (and perhaps ask) some rule issues.

What's the rule set you guys use with the series, which one is the latest? I don't believe there is a living ruleset available as of yet?

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Thrawn

Hi Guys,

Here is the new v2.0 rules edition for the Nations At War series.  I have included the PDF here and a link for you to download.

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/nations-at-war-living-rules-final-edition.134/

I will post some of the Beta v2.0 Rules at a later date once we have them better put together.

David

Crossroads

Quote from: Thrawn on September 22, 2016, 02:31:11 PM
Hi Guys,

Here is the new v2.0 rules edition for the Nations At War series.  I have included the PDF here and a link for you to download.

http://forums.lnlpublishing.com/resources/nations-at-war-living-rules-final-edition.134/

I will post some of the Beta v2.0 Rules at a later date once we have them better put together.

David

Thanks David! Do you mean with the bolded quote you'll post WaW Beta rules? That would be appreciated, more than happy to give them a go and provide some feedback  :)

Meanwhile, LnL sells Battles within Battles as a digital download, does that come with a latest ruleset, or what's the deal there?

Thrawn

The whole series is getting a MAJOR reboot.  The will be no more made up places or unit formations, the story and the battle areas will be more historical.  Of course, this is (thank God) a war that didn't happen so there will be some creative things we will do.  As many of you know, the maps are getting a redo and well as the counters.  The counter size will NOT be changing, but the font will be MUCH easier to read.  I will post the new counters sometime next week.

If you interested in trying out the new rules please post inthe LnLP forums in the World At War 85 section for Keith to add you to our list.

David

Crossroads

Here's the A-10 Warthog playing his part of "Angels of Death".

My MANPAD team was Ops Completed for the turn, as it had attacked (and missed) one the US Gunship flights earlier this turn. I had my Shilka in vicinity, of course I did, but it duly missed in turn now.

So, at the end of turn 6 it was time to call the attack off.

Some of the formation impulses could have gone more my way I guess, but first I did get west of river, and did cause some dents in US armor as well.

:)

Crossroads

Quote from: Thrawn on September 22, 2016, 03:21:21 PM
The whole series is getting a MAJOR reboot.  The will be no more made up places or unit formations, the story and the battle areas will be more historical.  Of course, this is (thank God) a war that didn't happen so there will be some creative things we will do.  As many of you know, the maps are getting a redo and well as the counters.  The counter size will NOT be changing, but the font will be MUCH easier to read.  I will post the new counters sometime next week.

If you interested in trying out the new rules please post inthe LnLP forums in the World At War 85 section for Keith to add you to our list.

David

Thanks, did that! I've preordered The (new) Untold Stories, so any news yet if it will be of the new format, or the original? I am good either way btw  :)

Crossroads

Oh, quite happy the counters remaining the same size. Good call!  O0

Thrawn

A lot of gamers felt it was too small, so we are also going to provide playing cards of the formations for those who eyes are not as good as they use to be.  We will also be providing formation cards so gamers can use those instead of the activation chits but we will be providing the chits as well.  Any pre-orders will, of course, be for the new game.

I also included a bigger map samples.

David

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Thrawn

The whole Nations At War series is currently at the printers and here is a look at the new counters and maps.  I already posted the new core rules a few post back.

David

Crossroads

Quote from: Thrawn on September 22, 2016, 07:58:45 PM
The whole Nations At War series is currently at the printers and here is a look at the new counters and maps.  I already posted the new core rules a few post back.

David

David, getting back to World at War;

Quote from: Crossroads on September 22, 2016, 02:33:37 PM

Meanwhile, LnL sells Battles within Battles as a digital download, does that come with a latest ruleset, or what's the deal there?

Does Battle within Battles come with a full ruleset, or is it only for that battle pack? More than happy to buy it should it have the latest official ruleset.

Thrawn

Hello,

No , Battles within Battles does not come with a complete rule set it is an expansion.  The latest rule set is not available yet and will be a free download.  There will also be a printed edition you can purchase as well.  The full rule book will also be included in the new games.

David