The Storm Guard: Darkness Is Coming

Started by Nefaro, August 25, 2016, 08:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Just left Early Access.

Turn-based roguelike RPG indie, in 3D isometric view.

Feature list & reviews point to it as being closer to traditional "roguelikes" regarding game mechanics....

.. but with some Darkest Dungeon style group/character management in between delves.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/409910/

Still on PC gaming hiatus, but it's fairly high on my list.

Rayfer

LOL....I know I'm in the minority here, but any game description that uses the phrase 'challenging roguelike' is an instant not-interested for me.

FlickJax

Quote from: Rayfer on August 25, 2016, 09:02:20 AM
LOL....I know I'm in the minority here, but any game description that uses the phrase 'challenging roguelike' is an instant not-interested for me.

I agree Roguelike should be an option not an ingrained feature :(

Rayfer

Quote from: FlickJax on August 25, 2016, 09:24:33 AM

I say this only from my own experiences; challenging roguelike equates to frustratingly difficult.

FlickJax

Quote from: Rayfer on August 25, 2016, 10:54:20 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on August 25, 2016, 09:24:33 AM

I say this only from my own experiences; challenging roguelike equates to frustratingly difficult.

I stand by my statement :)

-budd-

Agree,challenging  roguelike in the description gives me pause but challenging roguelike with permadeath = no thank you, don't want to spend my gaming time frustrated.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

More for me then!

I don't mind permadeath at all if there is a wide variety of player builds and procedural generation of the world to explore, making each run different. 

Just right for somebody so alt-tastic as myself, wanting to try out all styles of builds in some hack & slash without spending long hours on an extensive storied campaign.   :)

I also tend to lose interest pretty quickly if I don't feel challenged, in my games.

FlickJax

Fully Understand that Nef, however my leet days are over and I have to admit that i get attached to characters.

Developers shoot themselves in the foot when they only cater for one or tother!!!!

DennisS

The only way I will do a rogue like is if there is some sense of progression. Die after 20 minutes, but you get to keep ... something. Exp, gear, etc.

Nefaro

Quote from: DennisS on August 26, 2016, 10:41:44 AM
The only way I will do a rogue like is if there is some sense of progression. Die after 20 minutes, but you get to keep ... something. Exp, gear, etc.

Some are like that. 

Makes it too weird, for me, because the game ends up getting easier the more you play it over the long-term.   Pretty rough when the most punishing difficulty is focused at the point where you first start playing.

I'm fine with it becoming easier only due to learning from my past mistakes.  Of which I make many.