Mercs: Recon

Started by Nefaro, August 24, 2016, 03:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Didn't someone, here, pick up one of the core games of Mercs: Recon a short time ago?

http://megacongames.com/games/mercs/mercs-recon/

Had it on my watch list a couple years ago, when it was still around KS time, but never quite jumped (not big on KS backing in general).  Forgot about it until I saw Rob Oren mention it as one of the games he picked up at Gen Con, on his YT channel.  He's actually painting some of the minis this afternoon, on there.

Anyway.. it looks like a fun and quick-playing (1 hour?!) tactical sci-fi "Megacorp" Raid Team type of game.  Co-op and solitaire = big plus. 

Saw some KS backer complaints about some missing or damaged pieces in some boxes, but figured I'd check it out since the Assassination Protocol core box is only $40 right now.  Wondering if there were any big component issues for whomever else got a copy of it, here.

Had been thinking of busting out the Sergeants minis game lately, but I've been more in a futuristic cyberpunk-ish mood, on that scale.  Plus painting.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Barthheart

Finally got all my KS loot. 142 minis to paint!  :o

Played a couple of times already and it's fun solo. Tense, lots of tough decisions to make and yer missions can go south in a hurry. Really want to get my game group to play but I'll need painted minis for that to work well.

I never had any of the production problems that others did... just lucky I guess... or the problem really weren't that widespread. I'm happy with the detail on the minis. I'm way out of practice in painting stuff this small but it's slowly coming back. I'll try to post some picks of what I've got done so far... not much...  :P

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on August 24, 2016, 07:43:27 PM
Finally got all my KS loot. 142 minis to paint!  :o

Played a couple of times already and it's fun solo. Tense, lots of tough decisions to make and yer missions can go south in a hurry. Really want to get my game group to play but I'll need painted minis for that to work well.

I never had any of the production problems that others did... just lucky I guess... or the problem really weren't that widespread. I'm happy with the detail on the minis. I'm way out of practice in painting stuff this small but it's slowly coming back. I'll try to post some picks of what I've got done so far... not much...  :P

I'd like to peep your finished minis, when you're ready to post them.

This game definitely looked like a lot of Solitaire fun, from the vids I've seen, without taking up a huge amount of time.  Other than the time spent painting all the minis, of course, but that is it's own kind of enjoyment.

Also looks like it would require enough teamwork to make the co-operative side fun too.

I only picked up the Assassination Protocol box, right now.  The other starter box must be in short supply nowadays because there aren't many retailers carrying it, and the company's website doesn't have it in their store.

If I enjoy, then hopefully there are still some of those Mission Box add-ons left in the future.