Free Tile Mapping App, Dungeon Crafter tiles fit it.

Started by gameleaper, August 09, 2016, 07:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwg1l-y33WTRbmhwX2VDdXZfVHc/view?usp=sharing

I have a free mapping program, but you have only a few tiles with it, you need to get tiles online 20x20 and 40x40 , dungeon crafter tiles fit, but any of the correct size will work and there are trillions, you can resize any tile file to the correct size in MSpaint, also there are hex tiles, the Map created can be huge, and you can mix small tiles, big tiles and hextiles snap to grid or freehand.

bbmike

I was able to create a custom map fairly quick:

The interface is a little wonky and it could use a few more features (borders, text labels, etc) but it might be handy for quick maps. It's certainly light, fast and portable.  :)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

thx bb, I'm glad its of some interest, did you notice the shift key allows out of position placement of tiles. I did it with dark basic pro.

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on August 09, 2016, 08:42:07 AM
I was able to create a custom map fairly quick:

The interface is a little wonky and it could use a few more features (borders, text labels, etc) but it might be handy for quick maps. It's certainly light, fast and portable.  :)

I had a think, the borders can be put in with a small square tile around your desired map area of hexes,

then one of the hextile sheets can contain text labels and all the hex grid changed to the pink transparent color, you can then use the shift key to freely place text.

You can mix squares and hexes so you can put a planet and a set of small squares showing resources etc at the planets base(just an idea) you can lay many tiles over each other(just make sure the pink is there for the lower tile to show through)

its not a fix but its a sort of way of getting the results, also did you notice the cursor keys move around the big map.

you could also make some small squares letters and numbers on a pick backround and lay down names that way

and I just noticed what you said about it being portable, never thought of that really, but its going on my flash drive :)

deleteing tiles is just passable if you make a mistake you have to relay two or three tiles around the area concerned, but it works.

I could not distribute tiles with the program, unless I drew them myself, that's why there are only a limited number

gameleaper

PS: I like your star map, its really giving the map program some new angles to use

bbmike

I figured out it was easy to change the borders. I use Paint Shop Pro and recolor the border before creating the tile. Also, once I create the map it's easy to import it in PSP and add labels, etc. The neat thing about The Keep is I can attach a file in it and open it within the program. That way I can even create moveable icons for the maps (through PSP layers) if I want to. It also works with their Fractal Mapper maps.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on August 09, 2016, 10:27:29 AM
I figured out it was easy to change the borders. I use Paint Shop Pro and recolor the border before creating the tile. Also, once I create the map it's easy to import it in PSP and add labels, etc. The neat thing about The Keep is I can attach a file in it and open it within the program. That way I can even create moveable icons for the maps (through PSP layers) if I want to. It also works with their Fractal Mapper maps.

I could not figure out how to put a moveable in fractal, can a be a pain and ask if you could point me the right way? I can edit a map , and put symbols on it but I don't know how Id move them , unless your saying you move them while in edit mode?

I found in the keep properties external file links rather than store in the keeps data bases, this allows you to run external programs, I got a dice roller I wanted as an external file.

What I found good about the keep it encourages you to create your own adventure, you can do everything from one screen.

bbmike

Yes, you have to move them when in edit mode. I wish that weren't the case but it does work.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on August 09, 2016, 10:44:41 AM
Yes, you have to move them when in edit mode. I wish that weren't the case but it does work.

I'm managing to do a selection tool rectangle, then use pointer tool to move, am I doing it right? it seems to work ok.

gameleaper

Ive got it now, the program runs app that are registered in windows to open an image, I had elements not photoshop, but I was creating the images in manga studio, I was wondering why this was happening, its windows reg stuff. I just dropped a bmp and mspaint opened, I'm getting the hang of it.

bbmike

That's how I do it. You can also copy a tile/icon in your paint program and paste it into Fractal Mapper and move it around.

Another tip you might like, you can create a worksheet for Mythic in Character Sheets and put add it in The Keep. Here's one I use.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on August 09, 2016, 11:23:22 AM
That's how I do it. You can also copy a tile/icon in your paint program and paste it into Fractal Mapper and move it around.

Another tip you might like, you can create a worksheet for Mythic in Character Sheets and put add it in The Keep. Here's one I use.

yep just installed it and worked great, thanks.here is a tip too, I am getting maps from vassal, just rename the vmod extentions to zip , and unzip them and get the mapboard. just got dawn patrol as a good map for rpgs

gameleaper

Quote from: bbmike on August 09, 2016, 11:23:22 AM

that's a great tip, I didn't know you could add external art to fractal, it worked great thx

gameleaper

http://www.vintyri.org/CSUAC/download.htm

I know already bb that you will have seen these, but incase, here a link to thousands of fractal mapper 8 assets to install. I do know your a keen RPGer so I probably going to think you know THERE FREE TO USE NON COMERCIAL

bbmike

gameleaper, thanks for posting your mapping app! Now that I know my way around it I can create floor plans really quick. I've add it to my RPG flash drive. Here's one I did on the fly and loaded into Fractal Mapper. Notice the old school Klingon counter I copied into it. Makes encounters/combat easy.

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak