Main Menu

Comparison please?

Started by Flywheel, July 21, 2016, 07:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flywheel

The last small squad game I played was Close Combat 3: The Russian Front, a superb game that I wish would be updated for Windows 10. Anyway, I have been going through reviews and YouTube videos for John Tillers Campaign series and Tigers on the Hunt. Both games seem similar, but Campaign series is older. That to oneside, both seem to have fairly comparable reviews.
So I was just wondering from those of you who might have played both, which would you say is the better game. Tigers is £40 compared to Campaigns £25.
Any thoughts on this would be so welcome :)
Hold my beer and watch this!

Barthheart

First off they are slightly different scales of combat.
JTCS is platoon scale and is more like a minis game converted to PC.
Tigers on the Hunt is squad level combat and is very much like ASL converted to PC.

I've played a lot of JTCS and think it's a great game. Lots and lots and lots of scenarios to play.

I've not played Tigers but it seems to be well received and has a ton of user made content for it already.

So I guess it would really depend on what scale you're looking for and what style of play.

Warhorse

I have both, I've been playing Campaign Series since East Front first came out, and I started modding the Series a few years later. As you can tell, I LOVE that series! Tigers is cool too, but I sway towards the CS every time, I don't regret the purchase of Tigers though. As was mentioned, there are a ton of extras for Tigers, but then CS is being expanded as well, we have a lot planned down the road for it!! I recommend both, as they are so different in scale.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Flywheel

Looks like I might have some expense ahead of me then. I wondered if I might as reviews seem such a close thing, idjester has put his heart into portraying these games

-budd-

I own both, like both but CS would be my choice, East front, west front and pacific in one package. Not to mention battle generator for each front and campaigns. If you liked what you saw in the videos, you'll be playing CS for years. As mentioned above they are different scales and play quite differently.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Flywheel

Just your three comments have tilted it in favour of JTCS so that is the first I will get, and having just had a look at the mods from Warhorse, well, shame to see those go to waste as well! ;)
I appreciate the replies, great help. Thank you.

acctingman

Where are these mods for JTCS? (Warhorse ones in particular)

Thanks

Nevermind.....found them  :uglystupid2:

Warhorse

Any problems/questions, please give a shout! Always up for some PBEM!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

acctingman

The 3d maps....any chance you have a screen shot of that? Curious what it looks like compared to the original game map.

I didn't see any screenshots, but I'm kind of slow, so I could have missed it  :uglystupid2:

Warhorse

Here is a map I made for the WW1 Mod, with textured 3d terrain enabled-

And here without, same area. Slight change to the appearance of the open terrain, to appear more undulating.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

acctingman

Quote from: Warhorse on July 22, 2016, 07:26:21 PM
Here is a map I made for the WW1 Mod, with textured 3d terrain enabled-

And here without, same area. Slight change to the appearance of the open terrain, to appear more undulating.

Did you forget the link in the fix example?

Warhorse

Sorry, had to F%&$ around till I found out how to scale properly! My apologies!!

EDIT-Grr, still looks better in-game! There is shadowing that isn't showing in the post properly.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

acctingman

No worries!

Thank you Warhorse!  O0

This is going to be a definite buy for me now (well, once I see it go on sale).

Speaking of that....is Matrix the only place to buy JTCS?

Warhorse

I believe so. Saw it on Amazon, but think it goes through Matrix anyway, and another from Japan, waaaay high!! The newest game in this series, as it were, is the Middle East, lots of new enhancements from the older games in that. Next is Vietnam, which we are working on now, coming in 2017.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Flywheel

I now have JTCS and learning it pretty good. I don't mind the £24.99, I've spent more on some right crap in the past.
What with JTCS on the one hand and trying to tackle Gary Grigsby's two monsters on the other, I think my next few weeks are well taken over.  :2funny: