Unsung Vietnam for ARMA 3

Started by Jarhead0331, May 27, 2016, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The beta version of this outstanding mod was released today. They call it the "bravo" version. This thing was in alpha for a very long time. I discovered it some time ago and was impressed, but what they have accomplished with the bravo release is simply breathtaking. There are two maps representing the jungles, swamps, rivers and hills of Vietnam. They are extremely lush and very well made. The mod really shines, however, with the period unit skins, vehicles and weapons. There must be hundreds of different skins available...Viet Cong, NVA, US Army, USMC, MACV, special forces, New Zealand/Australian, south Vietnamese forces, etc. They've incorporated some awesome Huey variants, Choctaws, ah-13s and an extremely impressive list of fixed wing aircraft, as well. Thunder chiefs, Skyhawks, aardvarks, Broncos, intruders, corsairs, and bird dogs. All loaded with various different armaments. I'm not sure if all of these models are all scratch built by the mod team, or if some were ported over from ARMA 2, but either way, they are all awesome to look at and interact with. The attention to detail is amazing...beer cases, playboy posters, and my favorite...are you ready for this....you can play war songs when flying helos, including Ride of the Valkyries!!!

Anyway, like most major mods, there are not a lot of missions available, but I've been setting up some basic skirmishes to test everything out. Having an utter blast so far.

Totally worth a look....

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191070-the-unsung-vietnam-war-mod-30b-bravo-released/

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

Wow! Thanks for sharing. That does look pretty darn good.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

This Bravo version still considered alpha?

Grim.Reaper

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on May 29, 2016, 02:48:36 AM
This Bravo version still considered alpha?

No. I believe it is the beginning of beta.

I've been playing around with this some more and the units really are superb. The maps need some work, however. I frequently get CTDs when playing on the Vietnam maps, and some of the terrain features are not on par with the other arms 3 terrains. Still, a firefight in the thick Vietnamese jungle is really intense. You only get a glimpse of the enemy here and there as he dashes from cover to cover. Maybe you'll see tracers or muzzle flashes, before you die. Really chaotic. I'm really enjoying the mod and look forward to some really good user made missions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Swatter

I would love if the ALiVE team were pick this up and support it.

Jarhead0331

^My understanding is that this is in the works.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Silent Disapproval Robot

The SimHQ guys play a co-op session of this every Saturday starting at 1PM PST.

Grim.Reaper

So stupid question....downloaded and installed the mod, think that part worked since when I start the game, I have the Vietnam start screen.  But how do you play it?  When I start a campaign, it doesn't show up and nothing is listed for scenarios.  Can you only create something in the editor?  Or am I missing something?  Thanks!

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 30, 2016, 05:35:11 AM
So stupid question....downloaded and installed the mod, think that part worked since when I start the game, I have the Vietnam start screen.  But how do you play it?  When I start a campaign, it doesn't show up and nothing is listed for scenarios.  Can you only create something in the editor?  Or am I missing something?  Thanks!

No campaign and scenarios.  You go to Editor and make stuff yourself.  Or look at workshop and see if someone has already made scenarios for it.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks...I tried some user made stuff, but got crashes most of the time...certainly looks interesting and will be keeping an eye on it.....

Toonces

I can't help but wonder why ARMA 3 removed that fast mission creator thing that was in ARMA 2.  That was a good way to just kill some time, and would have been hella fun to do in a Vietnam map, with all the Unsung stuff in ARMA 3.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni