What Ifs? in wargaming

Started by Jamm, May 24, 2016, 06:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamm

Hey Grogs,

What Ifs and alternate histories have always piqued my interest in wargaming.
I have a few in mind I'd like to embellish with OST, but what are some ideas that interest you guys?

Any scale, any battle and any eras, any thoughts?
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

bayonetbrant

Germany retains a controlling interest in the Middle East after WWI.

Pulp-era shootouts between post-Ottoman French Syria and British Jordan on one side, and Babylonian Germans on the other
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Spain grants access to the Germans through its borders for an attack on Gibraltar.  With control of the Med, Hitler moves in bulk into Africa where he attempts to completely remove the Allies from the area.  With Africa secure, he then invades the mid-East and into Turkey where he then prepares for the assault on Russia through the Caucus area in an attempt to immediately gain oil supplies.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Uberhaus

Trotsky wins the power struggle with Stalin and becomes leader of the Soviet Union.  No officer purges in the 30's with Barbarossa occurring as normal.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Uberhaus on May 24, 2016, 07:03:43 PM
Trotsky wins the power struggle with Stalin and becomes leader of the Soviet Union.  No officer purges in the 30's with Barbarossa occurring as normal.

ooooh, that's good
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

Martian tripods with beam and gas weapons versus an ad-hoc early-post-capitulation mix of Canadian armored infantry and 'seconded' German troops in the Scheldt estuary.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

France and/or England provides various levels of support to the CSW during the ACW- either in arms and materials or in arms, materials and manpower.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

The French have machine guns at Agincourt.

Napoleon has B-52s at the Battle of Waterloo.

Eleanor Roosevelt can fly in 1941.

Staggerwing

Czechoslovakia resists in 1938 and sends it's few LT vz. 38 (aka Pz38t) tanks up against the more numerous early German weenie-panzers.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

GJK

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 24, 2016, 07:28:08 PM
Czechoslovakia resists in 1938 and sends it's few LT vz. 38 (aka Pz38t) tanks up against the more numerous early German weenie-panzers.

There's an ASL scenario for that already IIRC.  :)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

The British, after defeating Napolean at Waterloo, mount a full on invasion of the US from Upper Canada in retaliation for its earlier invasion.

Barthheart

ChiComs, seeing weakness when the Berlin Wall falls, invade Siberia for the resources.

Staggerwing

(1) After taking down Norway the Germans decide to use the ancient 'Konung's Weg' route from Jarvik into northern Sweden in order to gain control of the strategic iron mines before the Allies can persuade the Swedes to stop exports to Germany.

(2)The Soviets transit a pacified Northern Finland and descend into the Swedish iron ore territories in order to not only cut off Germany from the vital raw material but also gain it for themselves.

MetalDog

If Subutai and Batu had stayed in Europe rather than go back to Mongolia after Ogedei's death to elect a new Khan.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bob48

The period from 1864 to 1871 is pretty neglected, so some games that deal with the war against Denmark, The 7 week war and the France-Prussian war would be good. Also, how about the land part of the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!