Combined Arms Operation Series

Started by Xenophon, April 30, 2016, 03:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenophon

As i mentioned in my introduction post, I am currently working as a developer on a World War Two Simulator called CAOS. Since CAOS is currently in beta and we're all strategy gamers here, I thought I'd give it a proper introduction.

The Combined Arms Operations Series (CAOS) is a detailed operational level turn based World War 2 simulator with meticulously modeled historical units, for the old time board gamers out there, imagine a mixture of Panzer Leader and Campaign for North Africa. CAOS features historical and hypothetical battles ranging from small division level actions to campaigns involving multiple armies between 1936 and 1945. Use units off the order of battle as they come 'out of the box' or break them down into smaller parts and use them to create custom battlegroups - for instance take a battalion of King Tigers, throw in a battalion of Panzergrenadiers a mortar company and a Wespe battery merge them together to make your own custom unit.

There are several historical battles such as Gazala, First El Alamein and Operation Husky, the Allied invasion of Sicily in 1943. In addition to numerous hypothetical scenarios ranging from small skirmishes where each side receives reinforcements every turn to massive army level pitched battles. Feel free to indulge in historical what-ifs like, French versus British in 1940 or Americans against Soviets in 1945 or perhaps Italians versus Germans in 1936. Even more radical combinations like 1942 Soviets versus 1945 Italians are possible, the combinations are boundless.

At the moment, CAOS is focused on 1v1 player versus player game modes, although a multiple player team mode is ready to be implemented later in the beta. Currently there is no AI (though one is in the early stages of development) which can make getting into the game a bit daunting at first, for the moment we recommend playing a few practice games against yourself or with a friend to learn the mechanics.

Since the game is still in Beta it's totally free so if you'd like to give it a shot you can sign up at: http://www.ns2games.com/

Any and all feed back is welcome, what you like, what you feel could be improved we want to hear all of it. And you can find more info in the official trailer or in Hoftstadter's introduction to CAOS:

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Tinkershuffle

Teamplay sounds great, looking forward to it. :)

Xenophon

Quote from: Tinkershuffle on May 01, 2016, 08:56:47 AM
Teamplay sounds great, looking forward to it. :)

Teamplay can be silly fun, we did a 2 versus 2 team test game a few months back. Americans and Germans against Brits and Russians, there were Shermans EVERYWHERE! Including one rather hilarious battlegroup of a Tiger battalion with 2 Sherman battalions attached to it (you can transfer control of units to your allies in team games).