Main Menu

New DOOM

Started by JudgeDredd, April 27, 2016, 01:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

This is due out mid May - is anyone getting it?

Multiplayer seemed entertaining (for a change for me)

meant to say - a bit steep at £39.99....I'm not sure how much enjoyment is in there for that price.

Also watching one of the videos, the devs are explaining that you have to keep moving. Sometimes, I enjoy that mechanic. It's sometimes too easy to sit and wait until you've killed everything - but - it can also get tiring.

It looks pretty manic though...maybe a bit ala Serious Sam?

Looks great though.

Oh - and those Revenants always scared the crap out of me!
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I spoke to a guy at work who played the BETA about a month or so ago.

He wasn't very complimentary on it. He did admit he had only played multi-player, but said his overall online experience of it was poor.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Did you enjoy the original doom? If so, you will probably enjoy this because it's the same crap.

I never cared for the doom series. The original doom I may have played because I was a kid and there weren't many other fps options out there. But once I became a more mature gamer and the genre expanded, I saw no point to play any of the games in the series. Even trying to call the good guys space marines couldn't entice me.

It's a hollow, twitch based multiplayer focused shooter. Next.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Like you, I liked the original. It was a great LAN party game to play at college.

When the reboot came out, I liked the creepiness of it - however, it had lost something. perhaps it was because it was the original with new clothing.

This one doesn't seem like it'll float my boat for any length of time. It certainly seems more "twitch based" (good phrase for it) than it's predecessors with the "keep moving" and swapping out weapons in a heartbeat.

Whatever it plays like, it's not worth £40 to me.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Yes. Probably a game I will buy once on sale and steeply discounted.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

-budd-

I'll get it when its $4.99 at the holiday sale ;D . I tried twice but couldnt finish the reboot, too many corridors and to much backtracking. I still play brutal doom from time to time , truth be told i have quite a few games in my FPS backlog and just picked up the new Duke Nukem a couple weeks ago to add to the backlog.When i get it i  might venture into multiplayer if it has CTF, not interested in DM. My twitch skills ain't what they used to be.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

I never played any of the originals.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Swatter

These games that focus on multiplayer are just too easy to make when compared to one that offers some sort of story experience. The developers can focus on pushing the graphics and physics envelopes while using well established patterns to create a (hopefully) balanced multiplayer experience. Compared to games that offer some sort of campaign or sandbox, these games are much easier to make and cash in on. Rainbow 6: Siege is to me the prototypical game that does this. While the game mechanics, physics, and destructible environment are brilliant, the game is dominated by highly experienced marksmen that push out casual players immediately. Its a shame because it has some of the best FPS game mechanics I have seen. I would love to see this game attached to some sort of campaign.

As for Doom, its all about brand and bucks. They get two big names associated with it, slap together a slick shooter, and watch the money roll in.

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on April 28, 2016, 04:15:20 PM
I never played any of the originals.
Nor me.

Plus I'm usually pretty hopeless at FPS and have an unintentional death wish whenever I try playing Red Orchestra... although surprisingly I'm not too bad at the various Call of Duty games, and Mount and Blade... but generally I just suck at FPS... :-[
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

TripJack

doom 1 & 2 were masterpieces, sadly the id that made them is long dead

a consolized cash-in on the doom name doesn't interest me

Redwolf

I don't see how this is like DooM and DooM II any more than New Trek is like Start Trek. Yes, there is lots of little reminders and lookalikes.

But the original DooM was fundamentally different in feel and gameplay from later 3D shooters in a number of ways. Simplicity. And you have large numbers of relatively simple enemies coming at you. With the incoming 3D graphics cards almost no later games did that, because they wanted cool monsters with high poly count, and you can't draw many of them.  Gameplay is fundamentally different depending on whether you try to pick off one monster after another in an efficient manner, and the DooM style which requires some form of tactics to deal numbers.

The demo looks to me like standard issue modern 3D shooter with no multi-enemy tactics, with just bringing back some pictures of things you might remember.