Author Topic: The Weekend's Feature: Comparing Waterloo Games  (Read 3334 times)

Offline bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
The Weekend's Feature: Comparing Waterloo Games
« on: April 23, 2016, 06:06:21 AM »
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Online JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
Re: The Weekend's Feature: Comparing Waterloo Games
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:33:47 AM »
Looking forward to the next entries!  O0
Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Strategic Werewolf Axe-chopping Simulator video AAR!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 10:26:16 AM »
My very first wargame was Waterloo after the American Heritage series. Things are MUCH improved today. I think my very favorite Waterloo game was SSI's Battles of Napoleon version where my strategy of going after the Iron Duke's weaker Dutch units was shredded by the AI's counter moves and ended in the bloodbath it was historically. Great article.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline bayonetbrant

• Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 06:14:35 AM »
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline panzerde

• Order of the Square Button
  • Condottieri
  • Enjoy my attractive medals!
    • Cry Havoc!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
Wow, I haven't seen a mention of Universal Military Simulator for decades. The hours and hours I spent with that game...

Another excellent run down of what's available. Waterloo 200 is almost enough to overcome my aversion to block games.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Offline bayonetbrant

• Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 11:01:44 AM »
Wow, I haven't seen a mention of Universal Military Simulator for decades. The hours and hours I spent with that game...

There was the interview w/ Dr Sidran last month ::)

Offline panzerde

• Condottieri
    • Cry Havoc!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 11:11:03 AM »

There was the interview w/ Dr Sidran last month ::)

Honestly? I went straight to the game's web site and didn't read the article here.

Offline Cyrano

• Man-at-Arms
  • AKA Kriegsspiel 6
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »
My conceptual continuity is lost on the unenlightened.  MetalDog would understand.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Offline panzerde

• Condottieri
    • Cry Havoc!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »
My conceptual continuity is lost on the unenlightened.  MetalDog would understand.

You hoped for conceptual continuity with this audience?

The election is over and you've started drinking again, haven't you?

Offline bayonetbrant

• Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 06:56:39 AM »

Offline GJK

• Condottieri
    • www.the-proving-grounds.com
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 09:01:24 AM »
Nicely informative article and well timed for me, having recently acquired a copy of LABAT "Les Quatra Bras" (the battle of 4 bras).  I'm still working my way through the "Regs".  One major roadblock in that series has been deciding on which set of rules to use for it.  There's the RAW that came with the game (aka "La Bataille ME" (Marshall Edition), Regs M-L (Marie-Louise, the "ASL-SK" style as mentioned in the article), full "Regs" (the most widely used) or any one of the various house rule sets ('Tactiques Napoleon' being a popular one).  Each have their own strengths and weaknesses but it's a shame that the players of the games can't come to a consensus or standardization on the rules.

As for the article, my only suggestion for the layout would be to have the title and producer of the game listed in bold heading above the related paragraph(s) in order to distinguish the paragraphs apart better (the italic font within the paragraph doesn't stand out well enough I don't believe).

Good stuff, congrats to Jim on the very informative piece!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Offline Cyrano

• Man-at-Arms
  • AKA Kriegsspiel 6
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 06:20:16 PM »
Thanks, GJK.  I will say that I've managed to lure a few remote opponents with promises that the M-L is a more sane variant and they've (three souls) agreed.  I'd happily play either.

I tend to resist home rule sets lest I lose a prospective opponent at a con or the like.  On-line, of course, is another matter entirely.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Offline MetalDog

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
  • Central Scrutinizer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »

You are correct, sir!  I do understand :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Offline bayonetbrant

• Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent

Offline Barthheart

• Arquebusier
  • Looking for walkie-talkies in 1809.....
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »
 O0
PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

I'm not a drunk, I'm just Canadian - Shawn Germain