New game from original X-Com creator: Phoenix Point

Started by IronX, March 18, 2016, 10:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I'm just saying that Epic is showing more sleaze than the typical amount we are used to seeing. It's anyone's perogtive to use any service they want, clearly. But knowing what I know, including what JH just posted above, will continue to see me avoid Epic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

And more controversy surrounding the Epic Store.
Apparently it was caught collecting private data from the users' systems, including data from Steam, such as friends-list, game saves and more.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on March 18, 2019, 10:49:50 AM
Apparently it was caught collecting private data from the users' systems, including data from Steam, such as friends-list, game saves and more.

I've heard Epic is denying these allegations. What's the proof?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 18, 2019, 11:05:15 AM
Quote from: Tpek on March 18, 2019, 10:49:50 AM

I've heard Epic is denying these allegations. What's the proof?

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/198430/valve-on-epic-games-store-and-steam-data
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/epic-promises-to-fix-game-launcher-after-privacy-concerns/

Vogel also stated that the Epic Games Launcher is also designed to track some user behavior, as well as to send some select information to the company's servers, but nothing that is not covered by the program's privacy policy or that would be considered privacy invasion.

Epic Games CEO and Founder Tim Sweeney also chimed in to answer some of the gamers' questions on Reddit, stating that "Since this issue came to the forefront we're going to fix it."
Sweeney said that the current way of collecting client Steam info from users' computers is actually his fault:
You guys are right that we ought to only access the localconfig.vdf file after the user chooses to import Steam friends. The current implementation is a remnant left over from our rush to implement social features in the early days of Fortnite. It's actually my fault for pushing the launcher team to support it super quickly and then identifying that we had to change it. Since this issue came to the forefront we're going to fix it.

Pete Dero

Snapshot Games announced today as part of Microsoft's Inside Xbox presentation that Phoenix Point, the upcoming sci-fi strategy game from the creator of the original X-COM series, is expected to launch on Sept. 3, 2019, on the Microsoft Store and with Xbox Game Pass for console and PC, as well as the Epic Games store for PC and Mac.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/200920/phoenix-point-in-september

Pete Dero

https://www.strategygamer.com/reviews/phoenix-point/

Phoenix Point works, and is overall pretty good - the strategic layer puts you in charge of multiple squads, vehicles and bases while at the same time conducting diplomacy, research and managing logistics. Truth be told, I almost wish that I could play Phoenix Point without the tactical battles, as at the moment the tactical layer feels sterile, and can be a bit obtuse. For all its highs, it also boasts some serious lows, and the end result is equal parts interesting and slightly off-putting.

Rayfer

Jarhead0331

I've got it. played through only the very early opening sets. So far, I'm enjoying it. Nice break from flight simming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

I think it's OK.  Not bad, but not particularly good or memorable either.  There are some strange LOS issues, but aside from that the tactical battles are competent.  The strategy layer hasn't really clicked with me yet but maybe I just need to spend more time with it.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on December 04, 2019, 03:05:13 PM
I think it's OK.  Not bad, but not particularly good or memorable either.  There are some strange LOS issues, but aside from that the tactical battles are competent.  The strategy layer hasn't really clicked with me yet but maybe I just need to spend more time with it.

I've heard it takes a few hours to really "open up" and get interesting.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 04, 2019, 03:11:11 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on December 04, 2019, 03:05:13 PM

I've heard it takes a few hours to really "open up" and get interesting.

I'll have to give it another chance, for sure.  I've also heard it takes time to "un-learn" Firaxis X-COM, so you'll have some trouble at first if you're used to playing that.  For example, I read that Phoenix Point troopers can't peek out of cover the same way they can in FXCOM, but rather you need to utilize the incremental movement points to have your guys sidestep around cover to take shots.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

I love this type of game, but will probably wait for a release on gog or steam.

al_infierno

Now that I'm playing the full release version, I'm really digging the tactical battles.  I think the tactical system actually resembles the original X-Com more than Firaxis X-Com because of the incremental movement points and free-aim shooting, and each bullet being modeled individually for damage/hits.  I also really like how you set overwatch direction, which feels reminiscent of saving action points in the old game.  You definitely still need to use a lot of cover like FXCOM, but overwatch from behind cover limits your LOS in a way that reminds me more of OGXCOM.  So far it's a really nice mix of ideas from both games.  Like somebody else mentioned somewhere, it would be nice if you could crouch manually like the old games.

The free-aim also potentially solves a big problem I had with FXCOM.  When your own unit panic-fires, they could only fire at set targets like enemies, friendlies, and obstacles.  I haven't seen any panic fire in PP yet, but I'm hoping it's more like the original game where they just fire in random directions and maybe happen to hit enemies and maybe happen to hit friendlies.

Also gotta love that battlescape music sounds just like the original game!!

- MengJiao

ArizonaTank

Been tinkering around with this recently. There have been several DLC that are now included in a "complete" bundle.

The game basically uses XCOM as its template, so comparisons are definitely appropriate.

The game is somewhat "rougher" than XCOM2, but also more succinct and to the point in many areas. It almost seems like someone who really loved XCOM, but didn't like the fluff put this game together...and in fact that is what seems to have happened.

Tactical combat has some really nice additions to the path that XCOM put down. The addition of Armored Personnel Carriers that have rocket launchers, and a tactical system that allows for the player to see what their soldier sees and aim for specific body parts...but whiel the game does have cinematic cut-scenes, they just don't seem to contribute to immersion like they do in XCOM. 

The strategic game sees the greatest differences. Strategy is much deeper than XCOM2, with the user having to balance not only the war against the aliens, but also the wants of three human factions who don't really like each other. This makes the game much more repayable since factions you align with will give you their research, unique weapons, armor and playstyles. There is also a fourth group out there in the shadows that the player can align with early in the game. To ally with one of the factions, the player will likely have to raid the habitats of the other factions, stealing technology, damaging production or lifting vehicles; oh...and the aliens are still out there. 

Anyway, I am enjoying it. For fans of XCOM I highly recommend it...but I would wait for a sale.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

For some reason, I just could not get into it. It is one of the first games i got through Epic and I've tried to give it a chance periodically over the years of its development. I can't even put my finger on why I don't like it. Is it something about the aesthetic? The aquatic nature of the enemy? The stereotypes of the different human factions? I just don't know, but it feels like there is no "soul" to it. I agree that it incorporates some really good features and when looking at its parts individually, you would think the sum would be very good...but for me, it falls short.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog