Lets Play - Master of Orion III

Started by Jarhead0331, February 19, 2016, 11:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Here is part 1 of what I anticipate will be a multi-part series. I'm running Moo3 with patch version 1.2.5 and what I believe is the last version of the Tropical Mod.

I'm really just giving an overview of the game and trying to explain why I like it so much, and why it has completely captured my imagination. I simply love it and think it is one of the best 4x games of all time.

I once again apologize for the poor audio. I really need to stop being so cheap and spend some money on some real movie making software.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Anguille

Jarhead0331

Shadowplay. It's native to the GeForce Experience.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Anguille

bbmike

Windows MovieMaker is free. I haven't used it yet so I don't know if it's any good or not.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Although I'm not sure MovieMaker will record on-screen stuff. I have and recommend Snagit. It isn't free but it does a good job.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Moviemaker doesn't capture as far as I know. I do use it to edit, though. Sometimes I capture and then record the commentary with WMM.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

JH I do believe there is a setting under Shadow Play that you can use to adjust the volume of your microphone.  I haven't tried it yet because I'm too chicken to record my voice onto my gaming videos but I know it's there.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

sandman2575

Cool vid -- (just need to get the volume balance right -- hard to hear what you're saying over the game's ambient sound -- but you know this)

I deleted MOO3 from my HD a long time ago -- this is making me think I should reinstall (although getting Tropical up and running is kind of a headache IIRC)

bbmike

JH, I don't have the graphic glitches you have. Maybe it's a setting somewhere?
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on February 20, 2016, 08:12:50 PM
JH, I don't have the graphic glitches you have. Maybe it's a setting somewhere?

Dunno...I've experienced them on my last 2 or 3 rigs. They are pretty minor.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on February 20, 2016, 07:48:54 PM
Cool vid -- (just need to get the volume balance right -- hard to hear what you're saying over the game's ambient sound -- but you know this)

I deleted MOO3 from my HD a long time ago -- this is making me think I should reinstall (although getting Tropical up and running is kind of a headache IIRC)

The mod is extremely easy to install. Just unzip it into the game directory, ensure you have the moo.dll file and run the moo patcher program.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PAK

Well, on You home planet Yaddith IV planetary AI is building tons of infantry, but on the NEWLY colonized Yaddith III it started to build system colony ship, with time of completion of 90 turns (31:13 - https://youtu.be/Qq0XI8RAe9Q?t=1874:uglystupid2:
I've played MoOIII few times and I REALLY, really wanted to like this game, but either You are sinking in the micromanagement quagmire or You're you are doomed to face idiotic decisions of planetary AI... And, imho, space combat is not good enough to make up for it...   

Jarhead0331

Quote from: PAK on February 21, 2016, 04:53:22 AM
Well, on You home planet Yaddith IV planetary AI is building tons of infantry, but on the NEWLY colonized Yaddith III it started to build system colony ship, with time of completion of 90 turns (31:13 - https://youtu.be/Qq0XI8RAe9Q?t=1874:uglystupid2:
I've played MoOIII few times and I REALLY, really wanted to like this game, but either You are sinking in the micromanagement quagmire or You're you are doomed to face idiotic decisions of planetary AI... And, imho, space combat is not good enough to make up for it...

I don't think that is a fair critique. The planetary AI only has two options of what to build at this point in the game in its military build slots. Infantry, or colony ships. That's all. So it's going to pick what there is a need for out of the 2, and if I don't like it, or I want to build something specific, I can intervene and order exactly what I want. I don't see the beef. I suppose it could prioritize it's build management based on what is cheapest and fastest to build, but I think building what is more needed is a reasonable approach, even if it leads to a long build time. Again, everything can be changed and directly managed by the player.

Yes, it's still an AI, so it's not going to be perfect, but compared to other games, it's at least on par.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog