Some of Steam's Best Strategy / Wargames Currently On Sale.

Started by davidshq, December 22, 2015, 10:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidshq

Hi All,

Steam is having another one of their big wargame sales. I've curated a list of some of the most interesting games on the list. You can find it here:
http://www.freewargamer.com/2015/12/23/steam-sale-almost-free-games/

No, I'm not a Steam affiliate, so I derive no revenue from any purchases you make through Steam.

Enjoy!

Dave

gameleaper

Quote from: davidshq on December 22, 2015, 10:05:09 PM
Hi All,

Steam is having another one of their big wargame sales. I've curated a list of some of the most interesting games on the list. You can find it here:

No, I'm not a Steam affiliate, so I derive no revenue from any purchases you make through Steam.

Enjoy!

Dave

thx Dave

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

davidshq

Wow! That is impressive! I have a good percentage of them, but not all. I just picked up a bunch in their Autumn sale (which was new this year I think).

Thjan

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

I think that some games are missing from that list, for example:

- Horizon (classic 4x)
- Hegemony games (3)
- Battle Academy collection
- Imperium Romanum (great city-builder)
- Space Empires IV and V

Shelldrake

"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

amandachen

Quote from: Anguille on December 23, 2015, 09:31:39 AM
- Horizon (classic 4x)
Oh yeah, that eventually turned into a great game.

Now I gotta think of some games to add to the list. Hmmm.

NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Sphere of Influence (still kinda pricey at 50% off)
Sengoku

davidshq

I've been off and about celebrating Christmas and feeling sick :P so it has taken me a little while, but I updated the post with your suggestions and did a few hat tip mentions. :) You can see here, under the heading "Other Recommendations":

AmandaChen - I had considered including Nobunaga's Ambition in my original list but skipped over to it due to price. Your recommendation pushed me over the edge and I've listed it under other recommendations along with HT to you.

Dave

jomni

Nobunaga's Ambition is a steal if you know how much Japanese games are going for in the market.

GroggyGrognard

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Anguille

Some other great games:

Armada 2526 Supernova
Grand Ages Rome Gold

They are so cheap, it's almost a sin not to buy them...

Rayfer

Quote from: Anguille on December 30, 2015, 04:17:20 AM
Some other great games:

Armada 2526 Supernova
Grand Ages Rome Gold

They are so cheap, it's almost a sin not to buy them...

Agreed, Armada with Supernova add-on is a great 4X space game that's not too terribly complex but still has a lot going on. Do the tutorial and you'll be up and running without a steep learning curve.

Martok

I'll always second any recommendation of Armada 2526 (especially with the Supernova expansion).  Great game. 

On the flip side, Distant Worlds: Universe is currently 50% off during the Steam sale (I'm sure because it's part of the Matrix/Slitherine sale as well).  A significantly steeper learning curve than Armada, but still a hell of a lot of fun. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces