CS Middle East: The Crossroads (West Bank, 5 June 1967) -- DAR vs Berto --

Started by Crossroads, December 19, 2015, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

IDF Turn #21 (of 45); [Night] - Hill 402

It's been a struggle for sure, with not many rewards for the painstakingly slow advance so far. Let us look at the situation at Hill 402, where the vanguard of my flanking move is hard pressed to move closer to put Qabitiya under threat.

Let us recap, with an overall map from turn #4, depicting the epic journey the 45th was set on.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

So here we are, at Hill 402 then. I am mostly encountering Jordanian recon units there, no doubt trying to figure out the extent of my forces in the area. Skirmishes with the lightly armed units mostly cause racket, and an occasional retreat. Not much happening here, apart having my men mostly jump of their halftracks, and continue on foot.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

And so it continues, here's the area a few unit moves later:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

To finish the turn in this sector, I target the enemy positions with mostly the light 60mm mortars my troops carry with them.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

That's it, for this turn, in this sector.

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

IDF End of Turn #21 (of 45); [Night]

Plenty of small unit action, come to think of it! Next, the final preparations for the coming next friendly turn.

At Jenin, I set all my heavy artillery to pound the remaining bunker I am to capture. Mortar units to pepper the open hexes in the area  :knuppel2:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Otherwise, not much to show for my efforts. No Pattons destroyed this turn, albeit, no Shermans knocked out either.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Strength Points wise, my troops have performed very bravely, but the toll has been heavy. Losses have been at a same level per Strength Point, but for Victory Points the IDF is taking a heavy hit as their units are often considered more valuable than that of their counterparts. The Objective points should balance the score, but as I am only occupying Jenin at the moment, the situation remains grim from that point of view.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

But that is not the point of view I am taking! The friendly press contacts of mine are printing out huge headlines as how the Jenin has been captured, and how the strong IDF formations are deep into enemy ground. Any questions about losses, or of Military objectives, are met with a wall of silence  O:-)

Indeed, if I can even manage a Minor Loss here, after the disastrous strategy choice, I just might retain my Commander's cap for the next mission  :D

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

IDF Turn #22 (of 45) [Night]; Jenin

As the dawn approaches, the action is toning down a bit. It is obvious Berto's consolidating his forces and a catching a breath too, while no doubt his reinforcements are entering the area during the nightl. His artillery hit the no-man's land in between our forces in and around Jenin, so he is still expecting me to still push forward. Nope, consolidating my hold of Jenin, that's it.

Speaking of that, his troops give up the remaining bunker without a fight:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

That is good news, I move forward to take over, and perform a few firing missions at the retreating Jordans. Turns out the Bunker was well defended, as obvious from the Target Dialog:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

One SP kill and a Disruption. Firing at the disrupted unit again, hoping to wipe out more strength points from it:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Some skirmishing at the hills next to Jenin, then it is all about plotting the Artillery for the next turn. I am targeting his consolidation area with mortars, while my heavier artillery is all set firing at the remaining bunker in hostiles hands, next to Jenin railway station:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

All done here!

Crossroads

IDF Turn #22 (of 45) [Night]; Qabitya sector

At the lower right of the map, I am ever so slowly approaching Qabitya. Berto's been screening the area with recon units, armored cars at most. But there's the first infantry platoon there now, as well as two Patton troops in a selected hill with a great firing arc, at the edge of the map.

Not much to do here but to keep advancing in the cover of the night, while raining light mortar shells on his spotted units:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

IDF Turn #22 (of 45) [Night]; Butcher's Bill

First, let us look at the overall situation. Here's the tactical map. I am quite worried about my northern flank, as I have only the thinnest of screen there. My artillery, at the top map edge, is very vulnerable even to a small hostile mechanized task force sweeping the area...

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Here's the Zoom-out view of the lower right map quadrant, where all the action is taking place. I still have a few night turns to sneak closer to Qabitya, before the sun rises and visibility improves dramatically.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Right, butcher's bill. Lots of fire fights in the night, scoring hits in them blasted Pattons as well, but retreats only. The tank duel saldo continues to flatter the Jordanians:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

As seen from the Victory Dialog, the Strength Point kills are even, but the IDF can't afford any losses due to higher VP values of the units. Kill, and don't be killed. Not doing very well in that aspect, as I have failed to envelope Jenin, allowing the Jordanians to retreat in good order.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Continues to be a blast though, enjoying this I am! Over to Berto  :)

Commander Cody

Great AAR! This looks like a great game. Also, thanks for reminding us to bring engineers along. ;)

Cheers,
CC

Crossroads

Quote from: Commander Cody on July 19, 2016, 10:29:37 PM
Great AAR! This looks like a great game. Also, thanks for reminding us to bring engineers along. ;)

Cheers,
CC

Thanks CC! Never assault without your combat engineers :smitten:  :knuppel2:

Crossroads

IDF Turn #23 (of 45) [Night]; Jenin

Two more night turns to go, as the dawn will break at turn #26!

Turn 23 ends with the main objective at Jenin remains at enemy hands. My lack of heavy artillery means that the battalion of 105mms was not able to even disrupt one of the defenders. I have move tanks closer to the bunker, so hopefully next turn will see the combined arms make mince meat of the hex. We shall see.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

On display is the current Strength Status. The Jordanian reinforcements have arrived in strength, they are consolidating around Hill 402 and knocked plenty of my halftracks out as target practice. I am beyond caring about lost VPs though, so what matters is the Jordanian Patton vs IDF M51 status. I believe we both managed to knock one out from the opponent tally, so no change there either.

It may be he is reinforcing his infantry on a push towards Jenin. The turn replay saw his artillery mostly hitting the no-mans-land between us, so it seems he's still expecting me to push forwards. My artillery scored plenty of hits in his bivouac area though. So there!  :knuppel2:

Plotted the artillery to same area again.

Crossroads

IDF Turn #23 (of 45) [Night]; Qabitya sector

It was this area where Jordanian Patton's made a show of their strength. They're mostly retreated in their scoot-and-shoot tactic out of sight, but there they are. I ordered my brave troopers to dismount and push on, so that is what they did, firing a few flares to display the hostiles a bit better.

My remaining halftracks are removed from the area. No room for soft skinned vehicles there!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I called an airstrike on the spotted Pattons there. Hopefully they are feeling all invincible after seeing no IDF tanks there, and will remain in my LOS for the next turn...

So this is it for this turn. The point tally is way down, and my opponent actually requested if I want to continue, or ask for a truce to end the battle at the current score.

"Nuts!"

Over to you Berto  ;)

Crossroads

IDF Turn #24 (of 45) [Night]; Qabitya sector

I have now reverted to CS:ME v1.03 alphas (EDIT: CS:ME 2.00 alphas, as the versioning turned out), so what you are seeing is again incomplete work-in-progress. For instance, the 2D graphics are being redone to support a consistant look between all biomes available under the Campaign Series games (Desert, Tropical, Steppes, what not).

So game on, it is. More and more Jordanian Pattons make their appearance, but covered by the night, most of their shots miss their targets. I lost another Sherman though  :tickedoff:

Finally, as I really have not that many Night scenarios under my belt, I remember the vital use of Flares if no Night Vision equipment is not available as is the case for my IDF troopers here. So watch this, illuminated by several flares my brave troopers fired around the hostile tanks, my Sherman crews have a definitive lock on some of the Pattons now.

See this:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I select my single SP3 Sherman troop to fire the first shot, to get the maximum out, at hostile #1: Reduced & retreated! SP3 second shot, hostile #2: Reduced & retreated! Take that!

The remaining single tank troops join in (sheesh I have been badly mauled here) 3xSP1: first shot no effect, second shot: Eliminated!  O0

And this:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Second screenshot: 2 SP2 Sherman troops take their first shot: Reduced 1 retreated! 2xSP2 second shot: No effect. Oh well, that was fun while it lasted  ;)

To add an injury to these insults, my Engineers manage to disrupt one Patton troop next to them. 

That's six Pattons burning out there, ladies and gentlemen. Payback time!  :knuppel2:

Crossroads

IDF Turn #24 (of 45) [Night]; Jenin sector

Not much going on at Jenin this turn. Since my arty park again failed to make one single Disrupt at the enemy bunker, I call my attack off and set on defensive. The hostiles here do get share of my new improved shooting skills under the illuminated night skies, as several Jordanian infantry squads are taken casualty.

Here's the end game at Jenin come turn 24, with Specials On Top display option toggled on, to display the various defensive structures present in the area.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Having given up on my futile attacks on the remaining enemy bunkers around Jenin, I concentrate all my artillery at the bivouacking Jordanians (or so it seems) at the road towards Jenin. Take that! Too! Ha.

It seems my shuffle of commanders by previous end-of-turn is paying dividends, for my troopers are packing a fight with a newly found enthusiasism. Given how badly I goofed up in with my maneuvering into positions, attacking at 1:1 odds at most places, I am again almost at Par with SP losses. Not bad!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Tank kill ratio don't look half bad either, anymore. 34 Shermans vs 30 Pattons. I can almost live with that  O:-)

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

This is it. Back to Berto! I believe it is Dawn come next turn, will need to see if it is time to call off this operations, or whether there's sense to carry on...

Crossroads

IDF Turn #25 (of 45) [Night]; Overall View

Into the final night turn! Instead of showing small unit action, I thought I'd show the overall situation at this stage. Here it is, at the end of IDF turn #25.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

During the replay, I observed his artillery mostly falling in front of his Bunker complex just west of Jenin, so good thing I pulled out, I would have been blown to pieces. At Hill 402, his tankers returned the fire, firing on my muzzle flashes, but again, since he had no close support from infantry, no flares to illuminate the targets, no casualties. A couple of retreats, so a close call! To my satisfaction my OpFire killed one more Jordanian Patton, as they stood there, firing under my friendly flares illuminating the skies. To top the feeling, my light mortars shelling his tank positions managed to disable another Patton, so they are paying dearly now as they need to fight a more static battle!

Also, he seems to be pulling out south of Jemen, to defend the Crossroads from my flanking move no doubt. My artillery barrage seems to hit it quite nicely, despite that I am solely placing my artillery By Map (you need to have the optional rule on to do that). Nice. Go Arty!

Into the friendly phase, I basically rinse and repeat what I did last turn. My troopers close to his tanks again fire flares, and my Sherman crews pay their compliments by knocking out several more Pattons. The overall score everyone is watching (Right? Right!) is now 34-35 to my advantage! Go Shermans! Boo Pattons!

Here's the Strength Report:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

And, here's the Victory Status.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

These two past turns have certainly been a boost for my morale. I almost took his offer to call this the quits, glad that I didn't. He's lost 12 Pattons during the past turns, that must hurt him. Scrolling down the Strength Dialog, I noticed he's lost a Bde HQ at some stage as well, so some of his units might be in difficulties with recovering from Low Combat Efficiency. An important kill, to my artillery no doubt. So again I plotted down a proper barrage to hit his forces hopefully on their way south from Jenin...

Yet, I am dearly paying in the VP values of my forces vs Jordanians. IDF citizen soldiers are valued highly at 6VP per half-squad, to that of 3VP of Jordanian forces. And they bled dearly taking Jenin in a frontal assault, without the support of the 45th. I am still reeling from that decision...

Looking at the map, this is getting interesting again. If he continues to pull out south of Jenin, worried no doubt about my 45th Mech finally entering the fray, I will then start slowly advancing with the forces from the 9th Infantry.

Enjoying this a lot! Over to Berto  :)

Crossroads

IDF Turn #26 (of 45) [Day]; Jenin

Dawn it is, visibility jumps to 4 now! The map switches back to Day Graphics as well.

I have been playing with the Night Graphics a bit for the eventual 1.03 UPDATE, trying to see how everything would look like through a layer of greenish-blue "nightvision" goggles, but not quite there yet. Here's some new vegetation though, for instance Shrub is now "3D" as well, instead of map symbol shrubs.

But back to the battle...

Quote from: Crossroads on August 22, 2016, 10:50:08 AM
Looking at the map, this is getting interesting again. If he continues to pull out south of Jenin, worried no doubt about my 45th Mech finally entering the fray, I will then start slowly advancing with the forces from the 9th Infantry.

No sign of that, instead seems he's concentrating more forces south of Jenin! His artillery is still on defensive though, blasting the no-mans land around his threatened Bunkers there mostly. My artillery plotting was spot on it seems though, plasting at his stacks of units in the area. He's taking a lot of casualties there.

Here's the view on Jenin before I move about:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

And here's Jenin at the end of IDF turn #26:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

He's got plenty of armor around, seems he is cautiously advancing as well. My turn to set those ambushes in place, see the Visible Hexes there from my positions  :knuppel2: One hex forward, little Pattons, that's all I am asking...  O:-)

Crossroads

IDF Turn #26 (of 45) [Day]; Qabitiya

I am close enough Qabitiya to call this sector just that, right?  :)

Here's the situation before I move about:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Not much going on, maneuvering around trying to avoid contact here. My forces are still badly positioned due to my earlier plan of swinging to the very southern edge of the map before turning east. Now I am slowly positioning a push bypassing his strong defences in Qabitiya, in order to make an effort to Qabitiya Crossroads instead. Perhaps. He's got plenty of tanks in this area as well, so I am carefully moving about, seeing if I can ambush a few of them if he ventures in to a particular dangerous spot where I have visuals on.

I am using my small cal Mortars to shell his tank positions, in case I get lucky and get a Disable, but mostly to unnerve him to move about. Let us see how it goes.

Here's the situation at the end of IDF turn. I have turned the Strength Point losses to my advantage as well, while still having a smallest of edge on tank kills. IDF has been delivered a most bloodied nose here, but you'd never know that listening my propaganda right  ;)

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Over to Berto!

Crossroads

IDF Turn #27 (of 45) [Day]; Jenin

As the sun rises, the visibility continues to improve. It is now 6 hexes, or about a mile, for LOS purposes. On today's episode of Improved Graphics Berto just pointed to me all the regular NATO military icons are missing their Platoon strength indicator of three dots, while the Coy, Bn, Regt, ... leaders and HQs are properly marked with theirs.

During the Battle Replay, the Jordanian artillery continue to briefly harass the areas in front of his bunker, but my inaction has made him to plot some of my static infantry platoons as well. I need to get moving! His tankers keep firing at my infantry, causing casualties here and there. None of his tankers move forward though. The master of ambush that he is, he refuses to step into any of my traps...

The friendly artillery is a success again. I have kept firing at his tank positions with my mortars, and I am causing yet another two Disables, one in the road towards Jenin, the other south of Hill 402. My heavier artillery, set at the road network just south of Jenin, runs havoc on his massed troops again. Casualties, retreats, it is not a happy place!

Here's the situation around Jenin, after the Battle Replay and friendly artillery:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

That's quite a mass of men and vehicles on that road there!

And here's how Qabitiya sector looks like.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

It is quite a game of cat and mouse! My two reduced Sherman troops are spotted from three directions, so I have a decision to make. Should I retreat immediately to stay alive, or should I take a shot at one of the Patton troops spotted, no doubt receiving Op Fire from all of them! Sherman M51s lose badly on armor, while their guns are a threat:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I decide to take a shot at the Strength 3 Patton troop south of Hill 402, but find my shots bouncing off their armor  :tickedoff:  No returning fire though! I will retreat to... oops, not enough Action Points to move to any of the Rough hexes behind them.

I send my Mech Inf Pltn to recon the area a bit, and of course they then bump into more Pattons! What is it with Jordanian armor, don't they ever run out! Of course the unidentified hex marked with "?" fired at them too, that was 5 more Pattons. There's now 34 of them all in all, and that is only the spotted ones  ???

I continue to have 29 runners in my tank strength, so no need to get careless here any time soon...

That's it from today! To be continued tomorrow, or on Friday  :smitten: