DC3: Barbarossa Barthheart vs JasonPratt - No Jason

Started by Barthheart, November 28, 2015, 11:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

So this will be my side of the story. I won't be a fast paced story because, as usual, I have too many things going on at the same time. The game turns themselves don't take that long but the write ups sure do.

And Jason should leave now.  :knuppel2:

Oh and there could be spoilers in here... ie some decisions that you may not have seen during you playing, if yer playing.  ;)

Barthheart

I mean it Jason. Bye bye.  :knuppel2:

Ok, is he gone?

Right let's get started.

Barthheart

This is the pre-start turn of the game. Here I have to decide what my victory conditions will be and several other initial decisions. These are not always the same for each start.Sometime you have fewer decisions, sometimes more.

Here we can see the effects of one of the options we chose before the game began. No Mr Nice Guy in this war!

There is also a nice short paragraph about Frederic whom the operation is named after, and a short paragraph reminding you that this is a pre-game 'set-up" step.

Last thing, before the decisions requiring our attention, is the effects of us choosing to have a pre-history with other "players" on our side of the Battle. These are realistic random possible outcomes of my history with some of the people from the first parts of the war. They can be both positive and negitive. Luckily I got 2 positive histories, although only minor bonuses. These will come into effect when I have decisions thta involve these individuals.

From the first screen you can see there are 6 decisions awaiting my input. Let's see what I can do to influence the outcome of the battles ahead.

Barthheart

The first decision is the big one: What am I trying to achieve to win.

First we get a short description of the decision and at the bottom you can see the Political Point (PP) cost for each choice. As this is the decision sets the victory conditions it cost nothing but can net me some additional PPs base on the choice.

Next is a comment from "The Corporal" requesting my input on how to run the operation.

Then I am presented with the 3 options to choose from.

First option is to bow to the Fuhrer's obvious strategic genius and allow him to dictate the plan. This will give me the most PPs to work with through out the game but also comes with the most interference from the top.

The second option is to just go straight for Moscow because that's the capitol and that's how you get the enemy to surrender. This will erk Hitler somewhat and I'll get fewer PPs to work with. But it comes with slightly less interference from Him.

The last option is to pick my own target. This will piss off Hitler and I won't get very many PPs at all. The upside of this is that he won't interfere at all and I only need to hold my objective(s) for a month and not all the way until the end of Jan. '42. I can also get fired and lose immediately however.

Since I'm still new to the game and because I don't think JP will expect it, I'll choose option 1 and get the most PPs I can to start and try to force my will on Hitler as we go. Should be exciting.

Barthheart

The next decision I have is one of the random ones that may or may not show up. This time you can see at the bottom that there are PP costs for some of the choices.

Most every decision will have some input from the people most affected by it. these can give you clues as to how each will respond to a given choice. Funk, here, is worried we don't have enough fuel, which we don't.

Bock, rightly, points out that holding things up could be a bad idea.

There are also usually some interesting historical facts added in which is a nice touch.

Lastly there is a page that shows how the PP costs are calculated. Each choice has a base cost and that is modified by your relationship with the parties involved. Have positive relationship and the costs usually go down for the choice the principal wants you to take. This becomes more important as the game progresses and I start to piss people off.

In the end I chose to gamble on maybe catching the train. It costs nothing to choose this option and 2000 barrels really isn't that much, about 4 days operation of half a Panzer Group in Blitzkrieg mode. I get a lucky roll and didn't piss off Bock.

Barthheart

Next up is the planned routing for the Railway Pioneers to change the railway gage as we advance.

Keitel helpfully points out that I should be busy elsewhere.

Some info about the work to be done.

And a handy map showing where the decision affects things so I don't have to keep going back to the main map to have a look.

I choose to get involved because I don't entirely trust my Chief of Staff to get right what I have in mind.

---page---

Now I need to decide the same type of thing for Army Group Center.

Again I need to intervene to make sure things are going the direction I need them to.

Barthheart

Next is a report about the status of the manpower of the Railway Pioneers.

And the every helpful... nudge... from those above me.

Here I agree that there is nothing to be done which pleases my boss but not the man in charge of the Railways. Oh well.

Barthheart

Last we have yet another report about railways... I think a certain General Gercke likes complaining.

And F.M. Keitel chimes in with his 2 pennies.

I again I side with my betters, cause it's free to do so, and annoy the train guy. Her you can also see one of the many helpful mouseover help bubbles that lie beneath those question marks.

Barthheart

With all that done I end the pre-start turn and send the turn back to JP through the PBEM++ system.

One last shot that show the strategic map of our forces and the locations of their HQs.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Dammit Carl!

The snarky notes from Keitel sells this one for me; eagerly awaiting more!

Silent Disapproval Robot

God damn it!  No dessert for you until you've finished your Wing Leader!

Dammit Carl!

Keitel is that prick who gave me grief over not being some clean-shaven super soldier while we were pulling 75-50 percent security in MOPP gear in Iraq in May/April in the '03 kickoff.  I can just tell.   >:(

Barthheart

June 22, 1941
0300 hours

It's a great time of day to start an operation. Love these diary excerpts, no effect on play but interesting to read.

And just in case I forgot what I am supposed to be doing here's my formal orders from our glorious leader.

Barthheart

But what's all this? A huge pile of paperwork to plow through before we get to stomp on some Russians.
Oh well, this is what it's like at the top... well at least the middle top...

Weather Dudes are promising no rain for a while... wonder if they're using better darts these days...

Seven hard choices to make before the fun starts but first I need to check up on who my Chief of Staff is.
Damn! Korber... His job title should PoS not CoS... best not let him make too many decisions for me eh?