Where are the new CM games?

Started by RyanE, November 24, 2015, 07:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

I tried to find any thread about new products coming out but only found one comment from BFC that CM: Bulge is close.  But it still seemed somewhat vague.  Its coming close to a year since the last of anything was released.  I saw that a battle pack was supposed to be released awhile ago and I can't find any mention of it in a couple months.  I haven't even seen any mention of new modules either.  It might be a year with no new products released at all.  Seems strange for a company that talked about a couple new games and a couple new modules a year.

Is my info out of date?

Toonces

Maybe Combat Mission got bought up by DCS?   ???

Oh wait, if that was the case there would have been many more promises....   :o   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

undercovergeek

bulge and another Italy one is all i know

sandman2575

I do find it odd that there hasn't been an updated announcement of any kind on the Battlefront main page since May 1....  ??

IronX

It seems that Bulge is nearing release, with some AARs likely to hit the forums soon. BFC expects the release of the game to happen relatively quickly after announcement. IIRC, the earliest that has happened is about four weeks, with six to eight weeks being the norm (Black Sea being an exception). So there is a slim chance we may see it this year.

As for the Battle Pack, the delay appears to be partly related to real life events affecting the designer, although that was some months ago. He says all is good, but from what I have read there is still no indication as to when we might see it.

My perception, which could be quite wrong of course, is that BFC's release tempo is slowing down. I remember an ambitious claim just a few years back when they had expected to release four products a year. It went down to two and in recent years down to one or one and a bit.

The delay in the Bulge game is curious as initially it looked like releasing in the first half of the year. Given that it's not a new engine and a lot of the models are already made I'm not sure why it's taken so long. Gremlins, I'm sure. Nevertheless, I know I'll be hitting that download button as soon as the game is released, whether it's this year or next.

sandman2575

Quote from: IronX on November 24, 2015, 12:49:16 PM
My perception, which could be quite wrong of course, is that BFC's release tempo is slowing down. I remember an ambitious claim just a few years back when they had expected to release four products a year. It went down to two and in recent years down to one or one and a bit.

That sounds right to me. It feels almost like BF has been maintaining radio silence since the launch of Black Sea. The forums are active as ever, I suppose, but in terms of BF's wider outreach...it just seems strange... and a little worrying.

Elvis

I thought that Steve made a post recently but I can't seem to find it. In it he talked about Bulge, the first Battle Pack, the next module for CMFI and the first module for CMRT. If I remember correctly, he discussed how the Repository is being moved to be hosted by a third party (or actually 2 third parties...I think). It's weird that I can't find the post though.........

RyanE

If someone from BFC can't find it, how are your customers/potential customers gonna find it.  Now that's good marketing.

Elvis

RyanE

Elvis

Turns out it was under my nose the whole time and pasted all over the forums. It's older that I remembered (July).
http://community.battlefront.com/announcement/15-brief-overview-of-where-cm-is-headed/

Nothing newer than that information can be expected because it sums it up pretty well.

Elvis

I was using my dead sexy phone when I made my last post. Now that I'm in front of a compuiter I can confirm that it is on every page of the forum. Doesn't matter which part that you're in.

It doesn't surprise me that there is no newer information because everything that is laid out in the announcement is the same now as it was then. If it helps at all.......I can say from first hand knowledge that multiple things in that announcement are in the hands of people, below my pay grade, right now.

RyanE

Actually, that post is why I wrote my question.  Its from July...its almost December and hadn't heard anything.  My point was that its gone from 2 games and 4 modules a year as a plan on a steady slide to almost nothing in 11 months (close to a year).  The only information out of that post was the order things are being done.  There is some vague reference to medium-term and long-term.  But I really didn't expect to go almost a year without a game or module.  I was also suprised the battle pack wasn't out yet.  That seemed like a short-term thing yet has dragged on for months.

The short of it is...that particular post didn't really answer my question.

Elvis

Quote from: RyanE on November 25, 2015, 09:07:32 AM
Actually, that post is why I wrote my question.  Its from July...its almost December and hadn't heard anything.  My point was that its gone from 2 games and 4 modules a year as a plan on a steady slide to almost nothing in 11 months (close to a year).  The only information out of that post was the order things are being done.  There is some vague reference to medium-term and long-term.  But I really didn't expect to go almost a year without a game or module.  I was also suprised the battle pack wasn't out yet.  That seemed like a short-term thing yet has dragged on for months.

The short of it is...that particular post didn't really answer my question.

I had to look it up because I thought Black Sea was released this year. But it looks like it was last year (man, the late 70s/early 80s did a number on my memory). Yeah, a year since release does seem like a long time. Of course, last year there were 2 new "families" released 7 months apart. But a year is a long time.

I have thought for a long time that 2 full games and 4 modules a year would be a bad thing. I couldn't imagine that the ROI would be high enough to support it, even if they could do it. But a year is a long time.

IronX

Your memory isn't playing tricks on you, Elvis: Black Sea was released in late January, 2015.