Game purchase advice

Started by Millipede, October 09, 2015, 05:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millipede

Hi all,

First of all, I feel like I know all of you but you're saying to yourselves... who in the heck is this guy? I've been lurking for decades, first over at Wargamer and I finally figured out were everyone went about 6 months ago (I know, just a little slow  :-[).

The reason I finally decided to speak up is that this seemed like a good place to get some game purchase advice. Like many of you, my HD is crammed with games, many of which I've yet to invest adequate time with. As a result I'm trying to exercise some restraint in new purchases and I currently have 3 games that I'm eyeing... Beyond Earth - Rising Tide, This War of Mine and Invisible Inc. I'm leaning toward postponing BE-RT for a bit so I would like recommendations for the remaining two in hope of picking just one. 

bbmike

Welcome to Grogheads, Millipede!  O0
I've just downloaded Rising Tide so I can't recommend it yet. But I'm sure someone will be along with some advice.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

I have no practical experience with those titles, but I hear Rising Tide is good. 

And of course, welcome to Grogheads Millipede!

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bbmike

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 09, 2015, 05:31:09 PM
I have no practical experience with those titles, but I hear Rising Tide is good. 

Why did I click the 'play' button on that video?  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bbmike on October 09, 2015, 05:34:56 PM

At least Millipede now has a strong suggestion for his avatar as well as game advice.  O:-)
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Millipede

Quote from: bbmike on October 09, 2015, 05:34:56 PM

Wow! I'm wondering the same thing. I may have to reconsider my avatar.  ;)

Nah... I'm sticking with it.

-budd-

Welcome

I only have experience playing "This war Of Mine"  if your talking about buying,man it just went off sale. I enjoyed my first and only play through, i didn't survive the whole way. It's an interesting take on survival. It presents some interesting choices for you to make i.e. total scum bag do anything to survive or totally helpful nice goody two shoes or somewhere in between. Both ways have there drawbacks, don't want to spoil much because finding out along the way is part of the fun. I enjoyed it and will be having another play through sooner of later. They just added workshop, but so far only for people to design characters, the modding tools are on the way. Should have a lot of legs once the community gets the modding tools and can mod all the stuff. I've watched a lot of Invisible lets plays and the only real complaint i've read about is how short the game is, I'll be picking that one up sooner or later.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Greybriar

Welcome aboard, Millipede.

The only game I own of those you mentioned is This War of Mine, which I bought on sale and haven't gotten around to playing yet. The only suggestion I can make (which you are probably well aware of) is to wait for a sale.

It's good to have you with us.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

I will also recommend This War of Mine, it's really good.  But if you have a hard drive stuffed with unplayed games I wouldn't advise buying any more at all. ;)  You don't want to end up like me!

"Oh, I can't decide what to play.  I know, I'll buy a new game!"  Madness.

-budd-

What roughly 7 weeks until the sales start. O0
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

GJK

Switch to board wargames so that you can stuff your shelves with a bunch of unplayed games there too.   8)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Nefaro

I've played Invisible, Inc a number of times.

It's a great Stealth game.  Turn-based and procedurally generated so that made me happy.  Very happy.

Despite being turn-based, it still pushes me to the edge of my seat.  I actually stop playing my sessions due to the steady pressure I feel when attempting to sneak around and not be caught stealing stuff by the Corp guards.  Trying to time my movements, and all the other options, with the security measures.  In most roguelikes, I just shrug and start a new game if I die but this stealth thing manages to get me a bit stressed, despite being a slow-paced game.   That's probably good, because they achieved such a thing with a turn-based game, and bad because I tend to only run 2 or 3 missions before feeling the need to take a breather and let my thinkmeats cool down a bit.

Your mileage could vary.  I've only been running it at Normal difficulty, since that's what it was set to when I first played it in Early Access IIRC.  It can get quite challenging and, as with many roguelikes, quite deadly if you make a wrong move.  But there is an Easier setting too and all but the more difficult ones have a "rewind" feature that lets you go back and try a different turn (a limited number of times per mission).

EDIT:

The Grogheads forum thread on it:  http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=10964.0

MetalDog

Welcome to GrogHeads, Millipede!  I'd hate to have to buy shoes for you ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

sandman2575

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 09, 2015, 06:15:30 PM

It's amazing how hard it is to resist this impulse...  Steam really does seem to tap into some primordial instant gratification instinct...

Millipede

[/quote]

Man, isn't that the truth.... been there, done that!

"Switch to board wargames so that you can stuff your shelves with a bunch of unplayed games there too."

Before there were computers (got my 1st in 1980, an Apple II+) there were board games and I filled up my HD, uh make that my closet, with 30+ Avalon Hill games in addition to 10-15 other brands. In other words, the madness has been going on for decades.

Other than that, thanks to all for the suggestions/advice and my take is that I'm trying to choose from 3 good games.