Draft Day Sports: Pro Football 2016 Announced

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 09, 2015, 02:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Looks like Wolverine Studios throwing their hat into the ring with an American football game...seems they partnered with the developer from the Professional Football Simulator game.  Not much detail yet, but here is a brief blog on it.

http://www.wolverinestudios.com/2015/10/09/are-you-ready-for-some-football-simulation/

Nefaro

Awesome news.

Especially that Brooks is also working on it too.  I don't know how well the game outcomes were with Wolverine's college football game, but the later version of Brook's PFS had some very believable stat outputs.  The problem with PFS was some of the UI and the weird fits-all-types player rating system.  Hopefully those latter bits will be alleviated with Wolverine's far better UI & such.

Wolverine's been talking about doing this for years.  I suppose after getting their old Bowl Bound college game up on Steam recently, it lit a fire.

Grim.Reaper

Bowl Bound College is actually from Greydog, not Wolverine...different animal:)

Although I want a good football game, not as encouraged as you.  Really never thought PFS got over the hump but maybe that can change with this new partnership.  But that is where my biggest concern is, with Wolverine.  I personally don't believe they have a great track record, although they put out interesting games.  The cycle is usually something like this...

1)  Announce a new exciting game, lot of hype and even some beta testing....high excitement at this point
2)  For a short time after release, some reasonable support and patches....but doesn't seem to last long
3)  The developer disappears from the forums and its like crickets, even though issues seem to remain
4)  All of a sudden, the next version is announced and the cycle begins again

Just can't see that being different since every game has been that way.....although I hope I am proven wrong in the end.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 09, 2015, 07:18:51 PM
Bowl Bound College is actually from Greydog, not Wolverine...different animal:)

Damn, I get those two mixed up all the time.

Although I want a good football game, not as encouraged as you.  Really never thought PFS got over the hump but maybe that can change with this new partnership.  But that is where my biggest concern is, with Wolverine.  I personally don't believe they have a great track record, although they put out interesting games.  The cycle is usually something like this...

1)  Announce a new exciting game, lot of hype and even some beta testing....high excitement at this point
2)  For a short time after release, some reasonable support and patches....but doesn't seem to last long
3)  The developer disappears from the forums and its like crickets, even though issues seem to remain
4)  All of a sudden, the next version is announced and the cycle begins again

Just can't see that being different since every game has been that way.....although I hope I am proven wrong in the end.

Being mistaken about one part of the dev team, this may not be as great a proposition as I originally imagined.  But I'll be hopeful because we desperately need some new developments in this genre.

You're right about PFS not quite being finished.  It was still missing features.  Hopefully these guys can collaborate to get something new to a satisfactory finish.

Grim.Reaper

Greydog is also working on a football game as well.....so at some point we'll have options from OOTP, Wolverine, and Greydog.....the question is, will any of them actually finish their game:) 

bbmike

I know it won't happen, but I would love to see graphics in this.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper

Reading some more on it...seems like big portion of the game will be pfs with improved gui.  I'll take any football game, but this one has me least excited.

Grim.Reaper

As suspected, seems like it mostly will be the pfs engine wrapped in wolverines user interface....some recent info from the developers.  If they can improve the engine and actively support the game after release, I'll certainly keep an eye on it.....mostly wondering how close they are to being complete, I am guessing likely in time for next season, but who knows...maybe they surprise us.

Introduction to Draft Day Sports: Pro Football

Hello! I'd like to introduce myself as the latest developer to join Wolverine Studios. I've spent several years as a developer working on various sims, including a football sim called PFS. WS approached me recently and we decided to join forces. With the successful sim engine I've created, combined with the outstanding UI and features that Wolverine Studios is known for, we expect to launch a very exciting new game.

Some of the main aspects of the game include:

Updated and easy to use UI
Single Player, Online Multiplayer, or Sandbox Simulation modes
Fast and accurate sim engine with dozens of detailed statistics and reports
2-d game engine to visualize in-game action
Dozens of settings for customization, allowing for many different league structures, financial settings, and statistical output
Highly integrated multiplayer makes it easy for both commissioner and players to participate online
Historically accurate rosters and teams

Please keep an eye on this blog and the site forum for more details. Over the coming days we will be releasing screenshots of the game as well as diving in to the details of features. Don't forget to head over to the forums and discuss DDS:PF 2016 there as well.

I'm extremely happy to be a part of the Wolverine team, and we're looking forward to working with the community to release Draft Day Sports: Pro Football 2016!

-Brooks

Nefaro

I'll jump on this after it's released.

The biggest thing PFS needed was an improved & better looking UI.  Hopefully this provides that big leap.  Sure, it could still use some more features, but all the basics were there and the game results didn't have some of the weird anomalies others did (such as FOF's runaway Fumble rates & nutty formation-play AI picks).

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on October 27, 2015, 04:25:42 AM
I'll jump on this after it's released.

The biggest thing PFS needed was an improved & better looking UI.  Hopefully this provides that big leap.  Sure, it could still use some more features, but all the basics were there and the game results didn't have some of the weird anomalies others did (such as FOF's runaway Fumble rates & nutty formation-play AI picks).

I don't know...from the last version I played, remembered some odd stats and questionable use of players.  Maybe they cleaned it up in a later version I didn't try.  Every sports game has its warts but certainly willing to give it a try since it is football, but I also have to see this publisher support it and not dsappear like the other games.

PanzersEast

Funny thing is I did the logo for PFS years ago. 

PE

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: PanzersEast on October 31, 2015, 06:09:23 AM
Funny thing is I did the logo for PFS years ago. 

PE

Nice....hopefully they are paying you royalties:). Do you actually play pfs?  Any thoughts on it?  Seems like this new game will just be pfs in wolverine ui.

Grim.Reaper

Maybe closer to release than I thought....quote from the developer.....

"Our goal is to release it soon - I will give an exact date once I have one"