Armored Warfare open beta........

Started by AchillesLastStand, September 30, 2015, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Nefaro

I picked up a starter pack and have been playing like mad over the past week and a half.   Between the premium time and the extra bonus from the package, I already unlocked the M2 Bradley and Leopard 2AV. 

Took a little bit to get into my groove but now that I've improved on getting hull down, and got a feel for the detection ranges, my ability has shot up.

Loving the Bradley thus far, despite being a bit more visible than the BMD-2 was.  Gotta choose my TOW ambush spots well.  :)

Windigo

Started playing, liking it so far. Like the more detailed terrain, slower more methodical nature of battles.

The name is Windego online.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Dread Rlyeh

Is it possible to be completely behind a hill, fire an ATM, and guide it to your target based on another units spotting? 

Nefaro

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on November 05, 2015, 02:44:27 PM
Is it possible to be completely behind a hill, fire an ATM, and guide it to your target based on another units spotting?

Not really.  But from what I've seen, you aren't restricted by barrel depression limits on many vehicles with ATGM optics mounted higher on the turret.

On many, the POV changes when you switch to ATGM.  I especially noticed that on the BMDs/BMPs/Fox/Etc which have their launchers mounted higher on their turret.  The ones with barrel-launched missile capability such as the Sheridan, Starship, and some Russian MBTs, can also fire with their barrel pointing upward and then guide them back downward to some extent, limited by your optic POV.

So you can be mostly turret-down behind a ridge and guide a missile if your point-of-view is still above it. 

I think there may be a little leeway though.  I guided a missile in for a hit against one I could barely see in first-person gunsight view, using  the external 3rd person to lase.  It wasn't easy but may have been easier that way than using the sight to target a moving vehicles viewports on top of it's turret.

Dread Rlyeh

Thanks.  I may experiment a bit in some blowout matches to determine exactly what the (and my) limits are.

Nefaro

Biggest part of it is learning how far away you need to be in the specific vehicle (re: it's Camo Factor) in order to fire and stay hidden.  In many of the light vehicles (AFVs, TDs, etc), it's best to stay at longest range possible, bar spotting needs, to remain undetected.  But enemy scouts have such long spotting ranges, they're often your worst enemy in this case.

There's an interesting little sub-contest involving spotting from the Scout vehicles.  If the enemy team doesn't have a scout on a good perch, within it's view range of your position, then you can blast away and remain unseen.  But if one of their scouts is anywhere near and within LOS when one of you fires, then it's time to boogie outta there and relocate before getting dead.  Because they'll likely see you after firing.

I've enjoyed running AFVs/Scouts for this "spotting war" side show quite a bit.  If the MBTs don't have a scout watching for enemy light vehicles, then they can take some serious hits without being able to respond very effectively. 

You can still hit invisi-firing enemies by watching where the fire comes from, of course.  But that's generally only feasible if they're not firing at you, but someone else.  Firing ATGMs at unseen enemies isn't as effective as a gun, though, since your lase point will likely be targeting the terrain far behind whatever ridge the sneaky bastard is hiding on.

Nefaro

You can get an extra (free) tank for logging in right now..

QuoteIn honor of Veterans Day, Armored Warfare is proud to announce the T-62 Veteran Main Battle Tank, free for all players who log-in before November 22nd.

Windigo

It's not a bad little tank for a freebie. Needs the upgraded shells and engines though before it gets to be what I call a fun tank.

One aspect I like about AW over the other tank game is that limited gun depression in some vehicles is a real thing. It hasn't been arcaded away

jomni

Nefaro

I wonder if the Bradley got a nerf in recent history. 

Picked it up awhile back.  It's decent at many things, and the additional reactive armor can occasionally help.  But it's damage output is weak compared to other IFVs near it's tier.  The per-round damage is abnormally low, including with the TOW missiles.  :knuppel2:

Just a heads-up.  I'm guessing they'll eventually review & update it or something.  You have to play the Russian BMDs to get to the Bradley and those have more punch in AW oddly enough.

Some of my favorites have been the early IFVs w/ 20mm cannon.  Those things can wreck in the early tiers.  Likewise, the M41 Walker Bulldog is pretty beastly at Tier 2.  And despite not having armor for shit, the Leopard 1 variants all ended up being enjoyable for me since they were so quick & agile for an MBT.  The Italian variant, the OF-40 seemed to be the highlight of those Leo 1s.  The BMDs are great, but easily killed, so you gotta use your camo or speed to stay out of trouble as needed.  BMPs almost as much fun but their gun depression is atrocious.  T-64 and M60 are monsters in their tiers, if you can get hull-down and don't have to move too quickly due to the 64's almost non-existant stabilizer, and the 60's slow speed.

MengJiao

Quote from: Nefaro on November 17, 2015, 03:10:19 PM

Picked it up awhile back.  It's decent at many things, and the additional reactive armor can occasionally help.  But it's damage output is weak compared to other IFVs near it's tier.  The per-round damage is abnormally low, including with the TOW missiles.  :knuppel2:

Just a heads-up.  I'm guessing they'll eventually review & update it or something.  You have to play the Russian BMDs to get to the Bradley and those have more punch in AW oddly enough.

Some of my favorites have been the early IFVs w/ 20mm cannon.  Those things can wreck in the early tiers.  Likewise, the M41 Walker Bulldog is pretty beastly at Tier 2.  And despite not having armor for shit, the Leopard 1 variants all ended up being enjoyable for me since they were so quick & agile for an MBT.  The Italian variant, the OF-40 seemed to be the highlight of those Leo 1s.  The BMDs are great, but easily killed, so you gotta use your camo or speed to stay out of trouble as needed.  BMPs almost as much fun but their gun depression is atrocious.  T-64 and M60 are monsters in their tiers, if you can get hull-down and don't have to move too quickly due to the 64's almost non-existant stabilizer, and the 60's slow speed.

Interesting!  I guess I'll see what happens when I get into this tonight.  I've been watching the videos and the game looks pretty fun!

Windigo

Quote from: MengJiao on November 17, 2015, 03:59:10 PM

Interesting!  I guess I'll see what happens when I get into this tonight.  I've been watching the videos and the game looks pretty fun!
about a 12-14 gig download so give it some time.

MengJiao

Quote from: Windigo on November 17, 2015, 06:35:04 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 17, 2015, 03:59:10 PM

about a 12-14 gig download so give it some time.

I did the monster hi-res download (= about 19 gig?).  What a beautiful game!  And perfect for my current gaming interests( Things that blow up and stuff that happens fast on neato maps without too much talking and planning).  I guess it is "arcady" but so far mostly in a good way.
I've been playing in the PvE missions -- which are nice and the bots are fun to blast.  I'm MengJiao in the game and you may see me blowing up bots at half the average rate and getting knocked out before anyone else.