Save me, for I have become FROZEN...

Started by Cyrano, August 30, 2015, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

So, as I shared elsewhere, this came in the mail for me earlier this week:

The problem is that the game is mint...pristine...unpunched...it even has its original customer response card and the original 10-sided die...

I really want to punch it and play it, but somehow I feel I would be making a ruin of something really, really nice.  After all, it sat, what, 30+ years in this state...would this not be a manifestly unjust act?

My beloved thinks I've near lost my mind...she's thought that for some time for other reasons...

What say you all?

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Bison

Barthheart

Play it! It's a game, who's sole reason for existence is to be played, not stored on some shelf some where.

PLAY IT!  :knuppel2:

bbmike

Yeah, something that obscure looking no one else is gonna play it anyway! Play it!  :coolsmiley:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

Read through the rules and see if it's something you want to play. 

JudgeDredd

I went through something similar when my daughter bought me an old model aircraft...to make it or not to make it.

In the end I made it because - that's what it was for. I wasn't doing it any justice sitting in the box...it was meant to be made.

The game was meant to be played - play it - that's what it was designed for.
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

You can always buy another copy for play and keep this one as an investment.

(although I'm not sure there will be another generation which appreciates these games as we do)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

DoctorQuest

Play it! Life is too short for "mint-in-box".
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GJK

Scan everything and make a VASSAL or Zuntzu module out of it.  If nothing else, scan the countersheets before you punch them so that you have a manifest in case you need it some day (or in case you do decide to make a digital conversion).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

LongBlade

Quote from: GJK on August 30, 2015, 10:09:10 PM
Scan everything and make a VASSAL or Zuntzu module out of it.  If nothing else, scan the countersheets before you punch them so that you have a manifest in case you need it some day (or in case you do decide to make a digital conversion).

Sage advice.

GJK

Then after you've scanned the countersheets, spray them with 2 coats of Krylon clear kote (Matte) to help preserve them and to deaden the glossy shine that makes them hard to see under the lights.

After you've carefully removed each strip from the sprue, carefully cut each individual counter out, trimming any side nubs for each on all four sides.  Strategize a method to sort the counters using something sturdy and spill proof.  I prefer Plano 3801's (thin style) myself.  For the Plano's, I use modeling glue to seat each of the compartment dividers and then I glue a piece of felt or rubber shelf matting to the underside of the lid.  This prevents counters from spilling over into adjacent compartments, even if you tossed the thing down a set of stairs.  For an added bonus, I like to thermal label each compartment with an ID of what is contained in it.  This aids in the resorting process after a game.

Finally, a decision will need to be made on whether or not to round the corners.  This is a personal preference but for me, I think that the pieces look so much cleaner with a very gently rounded corner.  I use the 2mm corner rounder from Oregon Laminations.  If this is your choice too, you'll need to round all four corners of each counter before returning it to the storage tray.

After you've photocopied the rules, put them in page protectors and a 3-ring notebook, you are ready to read them and then actually set up a game!  First though, you'll want to cover the map with a piece of plexi.  This will help to keep it lay flat and it will protect it from any drops of moisture.  Of course, it won't save it from a spill so remember "no drinking glasses on the game table!". 

Oh, I almost forgot!  I like to heat laminate with a 3mil thick lamination pouch any and all of the charts.  This will help preserve them.  Another option is take the originals to a printer (Kinko's, etc) and have copies made on thick card stock.  Then you can laminate those copies and safely store the originals.

Ok, any other questions on what to do with the game before you're ready to play it??
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

The nerd is strong in this one.....  :idiot2:

LongBlade

Gently rounded corners?

Who are you, Hilary Farr?

GJK

Quote from: LongBlade on August 31, 2015, 05:43:03 AM
Gently rounded corners?

Who are you, Hilary Farr?

Not sure who that is but judging by google images, I get your point. 

Yes, "gently".  3mm is too much for a 1/2" counter and I strongly urge against using a nail clipper or the C4 counter clipper unless you like playing with "stop signs". 

I should edit the post above, but it's actually Plano 3701's (thin case) that I prefer and I of course forgot to mention to the OP that you'll want to check BGG and/or the designer's website to find any errata or 'living rules' updates.

And of course, if the OP doesn't have a place to safely set up and leave in place the game for any extended period of time, I'd highly recommend my thread on building the perfect wargaming table (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13182.0).   :crazy2:
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer