Main Menu

Gateway to Caen

Started by Philippe, August 22, 2015, 11:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

I know a few people here have played this.  Is it worth getting?
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Apocalypse 31

For H2H, yes.

For SP, no.

The AI is horrible. Same AI from the past 10+ years.

Rayfer

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on August 22, 2015, 12:49:06 PM
For H2H, yes.

For SP, no.

The AI is horrible. Same AI from the past 10+ years.

LOL....AP31, I have no doubt you were being honest about your experience with the game. I found it the SP aspects challenging. But then, I am a tactically challenged wargamer. I find all such games challenging!

Cyrano

I'll pick a middle ground here...

There are times that the A.I. is silly, but this is easily the best in the series since, well, a while.  It's a fine "bow" for this iteration of the engine before it moves into 3D and well worth the price you can get it for.  I think I paid $10 for it and have never regretted it.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Cyrano on August 22, 2015, 09:54:01 PM
this is easily the best in the series since, well, a while.

I will agree and say that this one is the best we've had in a while. The graphical effects from explosions and smoke are a much needed improvement. Infantry and tank animations are still sub-par though.

spelk

If you want to assess how it plays by watching games, I can recommend Agrippa's Gateway to Caen playlist on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfm9XNvwBFG_C2wZgbgFgDF4g2-a5WdBb

FlickJax

was just about to buy and then noticed was already in my steam library doh

spelk

Quote from: FlickJax on August 24, 2015, 03:10:20 AM
was just about to buy and then noticed was already in my steam library doh

Heh, I'm always doing that. Forgetting about something I picked up, possibly in early access, seeing it is released, someone mentions it, I search and stick it in my cart only to find it already in my library.

Too many games, so  much money thrown away and not enough memory to remember them all!