Magic the Gathering:Duels

Started by MetalDog, July 30, 2015, 02:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

My great good friend, Bison, turned me on to the fact that this game is now free to play.  I downloaded it last night and have played a couple of hours.  So far, I like it.  I've been playing MtG since '93 and I've been looking for a good PC version to play for almost as long.  This offers full deck building, albeit, with cards you have to unlock by playing tutorials and battling the AI.  Not sure if there is a pay feature that gets you cards faster, but, I am content to grind for what I get.  If anyone is interested in a Duel and you see me online, ping me.  If I have the time, I'll surely play :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

There are two ways to gain gold to purchase booster packs.  1. Grind, grind, grind.  2. Pay money to get gold to use to purchase booster packs.

My understanding is that you when you buy a booster, either way, is that you will never end up with more than a play set (4 cards) of any one card.  This is nice. 

It is also my understanding that this version of MtG will be a legacy game, which means that Wizards will allow Stainless to add more cards over time from previous or current blocks of cards to the game.  So unlike past versions, your collection of cards will only grow. 

I fully expect like all things.  People will bitch and complain that Wizards isn't allowing the good cards or enough cards or charging too much (I guess free isn't cheap enough for some assholes.\).  I also know that there will be the "power" MtG players, who rather than play paper MtG or MtGO will create the best decks from the available pool of cards and just make everyone else miserable with their metagame bullshit.

Me?  I'm grinding the hell out of the game and playing Metaldog and Bob.  Eventually we'll all get better cards and make different decks and I'm sure have fun playing the game and doing some old fashioned smack talk.

bob48

Yup - its not bad at all, and you really can't complain when its for free.

It does seem to be having server issues at the moment - I assume its due to overload.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Oh dear lord. And I thought the ftf game was bad enough :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

Quote from: mirth on July 30, 2015, 04:51:13 PM
Oh dear lord. And I thought the ftf game was bad enough :P

You've already expressed your hate for this.  Go rain on someone else's parade :P

Nefaro

Hrmm... free you say? 

Looks like another one I'll be checking out soon.

bayonetbrant

somebody mocked up a Lady MacBeth card over on FaceBool

The lady in the picture is actually a really good friend of ours here in town; the picture is from a recent run of MacBeth at local outdoor theaters.
She's the mother of one of Bayonet Jr's team-mates that's played with him for 4 of the last 7 years, and they live about 1/2 mile from us.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

That was excessively awesome, Brant!  :smitten:

So, is this MTG2015? Or something new?  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

it's not real - someone was just picking around with a Lady MacBeth card, but the actress they chose happens to be a friend of mine.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Are you guys still getting connectivity issues with MtG:Duels?

Now that the weekend's here, I expect it will only get worse.

bob48

I was yesterday, but I got on OK today (so far).

'Clip those corners'

JasonPratt

I only just dl'd it this morning while at the office (once I learned it apparently wasn't MTG2015), so haven't tried yet. Curious about server issues, too; but hey, free.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

MetalDog

Earned my first Booster pack this morning.  3 Black, 2 Red and a Blue.  I'm playing White/Green right now, so, no help.  I have defeated 4 opponents with a deck that I made and earned 60 Coins, which put me over the top for the Booster.  I have also won a Duel on each of the three difficulty levels.  I have noticed that the first Duel of a level is usually a loss for you.  Then the next is a win.  The bad thing is, that makes it feel contrived to me and if that is so, then the game is cheating on purpose.  And I don't like that.  I get that the A.I. can never be as 'smart' as you, but, I hate feeling manipulated.  It could also be that what I have experienced is random and means nothing at all.  Such is life.

JasonPratt

Spent a few minutes playing the first skill quests  ::) in the campaign. Wish I could skip those, but it doesn't matter as the servers are down or overcrowded or something so it wasn't saving my progress anyway.  :buck2:

Still, aside from the happy-chirpy tutorial narrator (who sounds like an expo girl hired to give a presentation on things she's trying hard to sound interested in ;) ), the presentation seems decently operative.

Still wish Shandalar would be remade. sigh.

bob48

I also got my first booster, and have been tinkering about with deck-building. Managed a quick game with MD last night and the mechanics are quite straight forward.

As you say, Jason, it is a little tedious but at least you can earn some gold by doing the skill quests.

'Clip those corners'