Gamma World

Started by bbmike, July 28, 2015, 05:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

I was just reading through the introduction to Gamma World (1st edition!), a game I played back in the early 80s, and was reminded of something that kind of bothered me about the game's premise. It stated that man had reached the stars and that there were starports and starships before The Apocalypse happened. If that's true, why was Earth abandoned those other worlds?
If I remember correctly, we changed the setup so that mankind had reached the stars and had starships but encountered an alien intelligence that, for unknown reasons, destroyed all of man's advancement in the galaxy and on Earth in the same way as described in the intro.

I know there have been many versions since then. Did they ever explain what happened away from Earth?

NOTE:  I know it's Gamma World and there's a lot that defies explanation in that game  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

I don't have the answer to your question Mike though I dabbled with GW back in the late 70's/early 80's.  We never roleplayed it though, just did the combat.  It was always kind of cool fighting mutants which brings me up to why I'm even bothering to post here (:) )...

My son is big on this Zombie shooting portion of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.  I can't get in to shooters, especially on the Playstation but I wanted to become involved with this new fascination of his so I was doing some research and came across a nifty set of combat miniatures rules that reminded me a lot of GW.  There's Zombies and Mutants and some roleplaying aspects to it if you choose.  The game is called "This is not a test" (named after an old sci-fi flick is my understanding) and can be found here:  http://worldsendpublishing.com/this-is-not-a-test/

I bring it up in case you were thinking of getting back in to GW or wanted something similar perhaps.  ;)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

GJK why not look into either Zombicide or Dead of Winter?  I'd think both of these games would fill the zombie and/or post apocalyptic world requirement you are describing.

I'm interested in both games, but my family is more into the Plants vs Zombies type undead.   :(

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on July 29, 2015, 08:48:17 AM
GJK why not look into either Zombicide or Dead of Winter?  I'd think both of these games would fill the zombie and/or post apocalyptic world requirement you are describing.

I'm interested in both games, but my family is more into the Plants vs Zombies type undead.   :(

Those are both fun games, without a bunch of brain-busting rules or double digit amount of hours needed to finish.   O0

Zombicide is fully co-op and easy enough that even under-10s can participate.  Good 'ole fashioned zombie smashin' dice roll crawl with a little looting, level-ups, and lots of minis - fun for all.  Dead Of Winter is pretty awesome but it has more reading and hidden knowledge facets.  Despite also being co-op, there is some secret hoarding (it's really all about finding supplies for the group's survival) and even a possible traitor mechanic that makes for less straightforward goals and gameplay.  It's great.. just more sophisticated than Zombicide, despite most of the rules being fairly easy.

I'm thinking Zombicide would be the droids he's looking for, since it's the objective-based Zombie Kill-Fest, much like said FPS.

Some people may not be familiar with playing co-operative games, but they tend to have fun as long as you can keep from pushing them into your own strategy all the time.  So if you have a forceful group personality (you can be "bossy" like me when it comes to planning) then just remind yourself to ask the others what they think the group should be working towards at any one moment, when their turns come up.  Makes for a lot of fun.

GJK

Zombicide looks like it might be one to pick up and without knowing, I actually picked up one of the packs of 25 zombies that I guess you can buy as an expansion for use with our miniatures zombie killing that we'll also try out (in fact, been painting all day). 

Zombicide looks pretty much like what I'm trying to accomplish with those rules that I linked to above.  They are simple to learn but have a pretty neat activation system and lots of different types of weapons (present and futuristic) as well as skills and mutations so it can (and is meant to be) expanded so much more beyond just zombie killing.  A playthrough of it can be seen here:

And if he likes that, I'm actually looking to up the combat model by incorporating some stuff from Phoenix Command (hit locations and damage tables) just so that I stay interested in it.  Zombicide looks like something that I'd get bored with after a few playings - or at least I'd start wanting to houserule it as well but maybe not, I'm still checking it out (I found a video of a playthrough of it as well).

Thanks for those suggestions and sorry to hijack this thread about Gamma World!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Arctic Blast

Zombicide is basically Left 4 Dead : The Boardgame. It is fun, but it is something I could see getting old if you over-play it.

Of course, this is coming from someone that did end up buying both Season 3 retail boxes, and who now needs one of these to store everything in something resembling a manageable state...  ::)

GJK

That's the exact tackle box that I have for my ASL gear when I portage it off to our monthly game day.  In fact, you can see it (and the sister tackle box for my ASL SK travel kit) in this picture:  http://www.garykrockover.com/uploads/WGT_26.jpg
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

Some friends went off to GenCon to demo Zombiecide. They were asking for people to come over to play to help them get their demoing skills up...I didn't have the time. Now I'm looking at that game and wishing I'd made the time.

With Gamma World: I think...and it's been a while, mind...but I think that the original idea was to build out the RPG into space opera themes eventually. I had the 2nd edition and don't recall the local game store really having a lot of GW stuff other than the boxed 2nd edition. However, and this is important, most of the following versions changed the backstory a great deal, from version to version. I can't imagine how much it's changed from 1st ed to 7th ed (in 2010). I never looked at it much past 2nd ed and played a few adventures with a couple of friends, but didn't get heavily into it.

I like those post-disaster RPGs. I wish now I had grabbed 'Price of Freedom' when I had the chance. That and the Indiana Jones RPG.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: GJK on July 29, 2015, 10:47:50 PM
That's the exact tackle box that I have for my ASL gear when I portage it off to our monthly game day.  In fact, you can see it (and the sister tackle box for my ASL SK travel kit) in this picture:  http://www.garykrockover.com/uploads/WGT_26.jpg

I wonder if the people at Plano realize how many of their kids have been put through college by gamers buying storage boxes?  ;D

bbmike

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 01, 2015, 10:26:10 PM
I wonder if the people at Plano realize how many of their kids have been put through college by gamers buying storage boxes?  ;D

Ha! They should start making special board game boxes. Coming soon, Plano Federation and Empire Storage System!

I think I might start a Gamma World1E campaign. I was going to start either a Star Trek or Traveller game but this sounds a bit more fun right now.  GJK, thanks for the "This is Not a Test" link. That's looks interesting too. I've started reading through it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on August 02, 2015, 07:29:25 AM

Ha! They should start making special board game boxes.

I was thinking the exact same thing last time I ordered some for that purpose. 

I'm sure a notable percentage of their regular customers buying the thinner models are tabletop gamers, so it would might make sense for them to come up with some new models tailor-made for game component storage. 

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: bbmike on August 02, 2015, 07:29:25 AM

Ha! They should start making special board game boxes. Coming soon, Plano Federation and Empire Storage System!

I think I might start a Gamma World1E campaign. I was going to start either a Star Trek or Traveller game but this sounds a bit more fun right now.  GJK, thanks for the "This is Not a Test" link. That's looks interesting too. I've started reading through it.

Mix a Gamma World like setting into a Star Trek game and watch the sweet, sweet cross-pollination of rpgs commence!

"In ages past, clean-limbed ones came from  beyond the sky to study us.  To learn from us."  There was a long pause as Elder Brook took to collect his thoughts; his limbs and branches twitched and his leaves rustled from  left to right and from right to left - this looked to be the start of one of the good stories that the Elders, a group of intelligent and ancient trees our village took care of and listened to for advice, liked to tell on occasion.

"They arrived in a shimmering light from above," Elder Brook said and we reflexively looked skyward, "and they were suddenly just here on the soil.  Where we felt no weight before on the soil was now heavy with the steps of these "Federation," creatures.  All with two legs and two arms yet all were different in their own ways.  While we Elders cannot "see," like you do (referring to us who weren't plants) a certain young, observant otter told us what he saw in the time the Federations were here.

We all giggled as we could never imagine an otter spending one moment outside of the wet, but legends of Perry Otter run rampant in our part of the Land - we are certain that is whom the Elder Brook is referring to but he never tells.

"Their leader wore gold - gold for the value of his dash and intelligence.  His chief leaders wore blue - blue for their deep reasoning and counsel.  The leader's lower followers wore red - red for the blood, sweat and toil that they would shed once the hoops learned of their presence."

We booed and hissed at mention of the hated hoops.

"The Federation was here for five cycles of the sun before the hoops came.  It was long enough to get our measure of these creatures and we found them to be good but very stubborn.  Their pride wouldn't hear of how dangerous the hoops were, yet we tried to get them to leave back to the shimmering light and sky from which they came.  They stayed.  On the sixth cycle of the sun, the hoops came."

More boos and hissses are heard but quiter this time.  We know how it is when the hoops come.  We don't wish that for anyone.

"They tried to talk to the hoops - the leader in gold and his sub leaders in blue - the hoops just laughed and tore one of the blue ones in half.  The ones in red struck as one with their amazing light beams and many hoops died that instant but these Federations did not know of the speed of the hoops or their powers.  In a wink, the hoops were among the Reds and Blues and Golds and lashing out furiously with paw, tooth and mind.  In a flash, the Federations were lifted from the field taking both their living and their dead.  The hoops laughed, and loped about trying to find where their enemies had gone but they never found them."

"So, now we wait and see if these beings from the sky and shimmering light will ever return."

Nefaro

For crazy futuristic post-apoc RPG, I picked up The Mutant Epoch core book and 'monster manual' equivalent awhile back.

While I didn't get a very good impression on it's unique d100 system, it has lots of crazy mutant-ry goin on.  Along with lots of random encounter/loot/everything tables.  And every item, creature, etc has it's own illustration in the books.  There are MANY.  It's interesting.  ;D

I haven't read it all, but I don't think there's much in the way of detailed background setting info in the core book.  So I'm still very curious about the big sourcebook for that.  It's sorely missed because that's the real draw to it.