Upcoming Combat Mission stuff

Started by WallysWorld, July 25, 2015, 09:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallysWorld

Preview pics of some units in the upcoming Bulge game: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120091-operation-tumbleweed/#entry1617226

And Battlefront is working on their first battle pack for CMBN which I think is a great idea: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120281-preview-of-the-first-battle-pack/

"In just two months, between 6th June and mid August, the Allied armies in Normandy destroyed the cream of the 1944 German Army. Following this resounding defeat the Allies bounded across France in just a few days. It is during this period of stunning advance that Battlepack 1: The Great Swan is set, following the advance of the British 2nd Army from the Seine River, through Belgium, and all the way to the high water mark of the advance along the Meuse and lower Rhine."
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

sandman2575

Love the battle pack idea.  SP Campaigns are worth their weight in (virtual) gold.

Con

I dunno.  I think that Battlefront has made me a vicitim of their success switching me from WW2 to their modern series CM Black Sea.  Somehow WW2 just doesnt hold my interest as much now especially another Bulge setting.  What I cant wait for are the battlepacks for the Marines/NATO forces (I am assuming they will do something similar as the modules in CM Shock Force).  I am for the first time going to hold off on buying any of these new Battlefront WW2 CM modules/battlepacks etc.  But I cant wait to give them my money for any modern stuff.

Con

Sir Slash

That's great news. An altogether new region for the game to kick my ass in. I was getting tired of picking bocage out of my shorts anyway.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MinmatarCitizen

The main thing I'm looking forward to are expansions for CMBS. Any new news on the CMSF revival/update? I remember hearing something about it.
I Stand For Brutal Frankness

WallysWorld

Well, here's an overview of where Battlefront says they are headed: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120172-brief-overview-of-where-cm-is-headed/

"In the mid-term we will switch our development efforts over to CMFI's second Module; Gothic Line. This takes CMFI through the end of the war and introduces a bunch of new forces. It's too early to spill the beans on details at this point, but for sure you'll see such things as Waffen SS and various Commonwealth forces.

We will also soon start work on the first Module for Red Thunder. The details of this are a little fuzzy at present, though it is safe to say that it will be packed full of fun. Think winter combat and the inclusion of Waffen SS and LW forces not seen in Red Thunder.

Black Sea is definitely not being neglected! After the Bulge game is released we're focused on extending the content of the existing Families instead of venturing into new ones until we get caught up on Modules. While more are planned they aren't going to be available for a while yet."
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Yskonyn

Sounds all fine and dandy to me.
Expanding the current games (save for Bulge which is going to be new) is a move I like.
I hate having to buy a new game in a series every year or so to get the newest content. I am much more an expansion pack kinda guy. With the added benefit of all themed content under one convenient executable.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Apocalypse 31

For the love of everything holy, this game needs a new engine.

Still running the same engine from 2001. Needs optimization and better performance.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 26, 2015, 07:48:57 AM
Still running the same engine from 2001. Needs optimization and better performance.

im not sure version 3 is 2 years old yet

Zulu1966

Well - sure its newer than that.
In any event - it is still the only game out there that does what it does - and it does it extremely well. I have never spent money on a game that delivers  better value - I am still playing CMSF years after it was released.

Will buy everything they produce without question - no matter what it may be or cost.

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MinmatarCitizen

Well it needs a better way to make maps.

I heard it uses one LOD for vehicles. Optimization might be difficult in that case.
I Stand For Brutal Frankness

undercovergeek

sandman2575

Quote from: Zulu1966 on July 26, 2015, 08:23:42 AM
Will buy everything they produce without question - no matter what it may be or cost.

I'm pretty much in this camp too.  I understand some of the grumblings about optimization and the fact that Bulge is not a very daring departure for the series, but at the end of the day, CMx2 draws me in in a way that no other game of this scope does, not even Graviteam Tactics.

RyanE

I think the bulge should have been a module or two in CMBN.  Upgrade CMBN to 4.0, add two modules, and you have CM Bulge.

Skoop

^ I agree.

Progress is so slow with their dev path, I feel like they are going kill their customers with wait time like eagle dynamics is doing with dcs world 2.0.