Remember The Old SSI Game Colonial Conquest?

Started by tgb, July 25, 2015, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

It's coming back with a facelift.

Not only that, but the developers have said that they've added things like random events, terrain modifiers, morale, and routing, which should help the combat, which I remember to be very Risk-like.

It releases Tuesday with a list price of $9.99, but a discount has been promised at launch.  Unless word of mouth is extraordinarily bad, this is a Day One purchase, especially at $10 which is just what I have sitting in my Steam wallet at the moment.

I hope this didn't sound too much like advertising the game.

Grim.Reaper

I believe this might be the same where the dev did a quick drive by....since I saw the original post, forgotten about it, will be interesting to see how it turns out...

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=13257.msg345180#msg345180

bayonetbrant

We're going to have some coverage coming up :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Rayfer

Looks like EUIV done in the 90's. Never played the game so I can't comment on gameplay.

WallysWorld

I played a lot of the original game on my old Commodore 64 so I'll keep on eye on this new version.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Queeg

I'm looking forward to this one too.  Hoping it's what Pride of Nations should have been.

Nefaro

Quote from: WallysWorld on July 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM
I played a lot of the original game on my old Commodore 64 so I'll keep on eye on this new version.

I played it on there too.  But my nostalgia alarm is sounding.

IIRC, the original game was pretty much just shifting numbers of troops from one place to another.  Basically just Risk on the computer, and it was possibly even less sophisticated than that.

:-\

Unless this developer has added a large amount of extra gameplay, I'm not going to be impressed with moving a few thousand troops from space to space every turn and then watching the numbers slowly tick down to represent battles. 

kassdhal

Colonial Conquest... OMG I ve spent so much time on this game back in the days!

Looking forward to it :)

orpheus

Hey guys,
Thanks for bringing back the game here. We've been busy refining the game since I first posted here in the wake of release.

Brant, I had missed your email but responded this morning!

Hope you'll all like the game :)

Cheers
Orpheus

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on July 25, 2015, 11:15:28 PM
Quote from: WallysWorld on July 25, 2015, 02:16:16 PM

I played it on there too.  But my nostalgia alarm is sounding.

IIRC, the original game was pretty much just shifting numbers of troops from one place to another.  Basically just Risk on the computer, and it was possibly even less sophisticated than that.

:-\

Unless this developer has added a large amount of extra gameplay, I'm not going to be impressed with moving a few thousand troops from space to space every turn and then watching the numbers slowly tick down to represent battles.

Might be a nice break to go back to some more simpler games:)  Nowadays I spend my time trying to wrap my head around all the complexities, but fondly remember in my early days playing these types of games right of the box and forever....but I guess we'll see, with the game only being $10, seems like a reasonable risk to take.

DennisS

Release date is 7/28...steam doesn't give a price. I should think that for a game like this that $12.99 would be a good price point. Shall we play a guessing game?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 08:48:11 AM
Release date is 7/28...steam doesn't give a price. I should think that for a game like this that $12.99 would be a good price point. Shall we play a guessing game?

No need to guess, they have stated price is 9.99 and will even be further discounted on release.

Grim.Reaper

Also in case folks didn't see, the manual is available for viewing from the steam store page at

http://store.steampowered.com/manual/341030

tgb

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 26, 2015, 08:49:28 AM
Quote from: DennisS on July 26, 2015, 08:48:11 AM

No need to guess, they have stated price is 9.99 and will even be further discounted on release.

Not only that, but I mentioned the $9.99 price in my opening post.

Remember kids, reading is FUNdamental.

bayonetbrant

We also covered it in GARPA a while ago

http://grogheads.com/?p=7861

I know you guys are allergic to the front page, but please try to keep up ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers