Main Menu

Advertising

Started by renobe, July 24, 2015, 10:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renobe

I know I am going to get the business for this, or be accused of trolling. But it seems like vast majority of the post here are trying to sell new games or sales in general . I am wondering if the people posting here are people connected to gaming companys.  Where  are the post for the older games. For example. The strategies, compatibility,quality, of the games.

tgb

You're overreacting.  Gamers by their nature are attracted to the new and shiny, and that's where most of the discussion between them will lie.  This site is no better or worse in that regard than any other gaming forum.

Boggit

Tgb is completely correct. O0

I still play Imperialism 1 and 2, Sid Meier's Alpha-Centauri, Colonization, WinSPWW2/MBT etc, none of which are new games - and I can honestly say from my conversations with others that I'm not alone in playing older games. You'll see from posts in the forum that many of us source games from GoG, which reissues older games in formats that newer OS's can cope with.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: renobe on July 24, 2015, 10:43:19 AM
seems like vast majority of the post here are trying to sell new games or sales in general

Really?  I don't see that much at all....sure, some of the forum members get excited about new purchases and share their impressions with the rest of us, which is exactly what I want to see from the site.  But most of them do not represent any specific company, just a fan.  I think there are very few occasional posts by companies letting us know about new versions or upcoming releases, but those are very much in the minority.

So I am not really sure where you are seeing the "vast majority" doing this in these forums....but maybe I am missing something...as for where are the other posts about older games, feel free to jump in start some of the posts yourself to help get things started if your interested in certain discussions.

Bison

I have no affiliation with any game company.  I usually just discuss what I'm playing at the moment on the table or computer, or jump in on a discussion for a game I have or want to play.  And as far as I know, the only game affiliation with the site are those games that have advertisement on the site which is like seeing a Coca-Cola commercial during a sports event or tv show.

Father Ted

What a peculiar thread!  The vast majority of posters here are consumers discussing both new games and the older games they enjoy.  A few devs may pop in now and then - but mostly to get feedback on their products or perhaps explain design decisions.  Of course there are adverts, but in my experience they are completely separate from the forum content.

Rayfer

Quote from: Father Ted on July 24, 2015, 12:23:10 PM
What a peculiar thread!  The vast majority of posters here are consumers discussing both new games and the older games they enjoy.  A few devs may pop in now and then - but mostly to get feedback on their products or perhaps explain design decisions.  Of course there are adverts, but in my experience they are completely separate from the forum content.

Agreed.  Not sure where renobe is coming from? There are numerous ongoing threads about game strategies, old and new....some of them go on for months across dozens of pages of posts, just check out the Rome 2 Total War thread. Like Bison, I have no affiliation with any gaming company. I find these forums a great place to get honest info (both positive and negative) before making a purchase decision and for tips on becoming a better strategy wargamer.

Toonces

I've got two active threads going on right now for ARMA 2 and ARMA 3.  Not sure how you could classify those as "new" games.   :idiot2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

When you get a group of people together that love games, they're going to talk about games. They will discuss them, lambast them, praise them, gush about them, bitch about them, moan, complain, or otherwise love on anything under the sun. This not only includes games specifically, but also developers AND publishers. This is not 'advertising' in the strictest sense of the word; it's the sharing of opinion, and the real thing that makes GH such a wonderful place to be is, people here see each side of an argument instead of blasting the side that they don't agree with. This isn't just limited to games, but also to tons of other topics that the forums here reflect.

Management here will absolutely not stand for conflicts of interest, nor will any writer worth their salt.

bbmike

Fairly certain you didn't really look at previous posts. We talk about all kinds of older games. Imperialism II, Birth of the Federation, Starflight, Age of Rifles come to mind immediately. We're always talking about what GOG.com has on sale or has released.

[stop  reading here Brant]
There's even a new article on the front page about Gaming Nostalgia!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Not only all of the above, but most of the regulars posting in our forums have known each other for over a decade. So, I'd be shocked to learn that some of them were secret agents planted in our forums to generate more sales.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 24, 2015, 02:02:56 PMSo, I'd be shocked to learn that some of them were secret agents planted in our forums to generate more sales.

my plan is still working ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Well...okay, I guess it depends on your perspective.

Someone posts something: "Hey I bought this cool thing, check it out!"
Second Someone replies: "Goddammit, that IS cool. Stop doing that, now I want to buy it!"
First Someone posts 198 pictures/screenshots/posts describing how cool it is.
Second Someone curses again, blaming First Someone for making them pull out their card to make yet another online purchase.

We stimulate the gaming economy, I suppose.  8)

Gusington

Not only is my real first name Lloyd, but my real last name is Sega.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: renobe on July 24, 2015, 10:43:19 AM
I know I am going to get the business for this, or be accused of trolling. But it seems like vast majority of the post here are trying to sell new games or sales in general . I am wondering if the people posting here are people connected to gaming companys.  Where  are the post for the older games. For example. The strategies, compatibility,quality, of the games.

To the best of my knowledge (and I'm a reviewer), nobody who does reviews has ever reviewed anything they have produced.  Brant has some game stuff - but he never reviews his own stuff.  Brant is the only person that I know of who posts on a lot of topics who has ever been on game design.  And Brant can correct me if I'm wrong - but he does board games and has not been releasing all that much stuff in recent years.  That is the staff side (and we are not paid for reviews). 

Most of the people who post actively have, over time, disclosed what they do for a living.  Almost nobody has any paid relationship with any gaming company.

Most reviewers will state in the review itself if they paid for the game or if it was provided (free) to them.  I always do when I write reviews.  Here the only thing a reviewer gets at best is a copy of the game. 

Last, the games that almost everyone talks about have small sales numbers in units.  There is not much discussion of Playstation, X-Box, or Wii games - and those make up almost all game revenues.  The console games are almost never reviewed - and when the games are launched across multiple portals most of the people here are playing the PC version.  Honestly, outside of the console games none of the manufacturers/publishers are making enough money to financially support paid forum people.

A (unnamed) competitive site is actually owned by a major wargame producer.  The fact is not hidden, but it is not actively promoted either.

Sure there are occasional developers who make posts that they have a new product, have made a update/expansion/patch, or that a game has had a price cut.  But even most of the sale information is posted by people who are ordinary users.  Readers here like these announcements because they are interesting information to us.

I think you have a false impression and the responses you are getting are trying to point this out in a polite fashion.