Game Forge > GameTalk

GameTalk - Map Design!

(1/2) > >>

bayonetbrant:
This week?  Map aesthetics!

Martok:
At the very least, a good-looking map will nearly always contribute towards a game's atmosphere/immersion.  In addition, a well-done map will often also give the player clues as to what type of terrain combat may occur in/on; and in grand-strategy games, what type of resources and/or special characteristics a province/region may have. 

I know it will surprise no one here, but two of my favorites are the campaign maps from the original Shogun and Medieval in the Total War series; I found them to be both visually pleasing as well as informative.  Other game maps I've enjoyed are those from Revolution Under Siege and Pandora: First Contact. 

--- Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 10:22:12 AM ---previously...  Map functionality

--- End quote ---

"The page you requested could not be found. "  :( 

bayonetbrant:

--- Quote from: Martok on July 20, 2015, 01:16:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 20, 2015, 10:22:12 AM ---previously...  Map functionality
--- End quote ---

"The page you requested could not be found. "  :( 

--- End quote ---

worked for me...  let me look into it

nm - that one's set to run next week...   :-[

Jack Nastyface:
I certainly appreciate it when a game designer puts time and effort into designing an aesthetically pleasing map.  Some of my favorites include AH Flight Leader, LnL Day of Heroes, Summer Storm (seen but haven't played it) and Devil's Cauldron.  In looking over that list, it occurs to me that I appear to like maps that suggest or enhance the period or milieu of the historical event.  This includes using interesting fonts, graphics and high-lights.  In some cases (Flight Leader, for example) the detailed map is almost a distraction from the game itself (why do you need a detail ground map for a game about aerial warfare?).

One thing I (perhaps oddly) don't enjoy are photo-realistic maps that use things like google maps, etc.

Yours in gaming,
Jack Nastyface

bayonetbrant:
This week - Map Functionality!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version