Author Topic: Feedback on Video Review of Cyborg MMO Mouse  (Read 1927 times)

Online bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Blunderbuster
  • Loitering With Intent
Feedback on Video Review of Cyborg MMO Mouse
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:06:20 AM »
Is this mouse worthy of its cheese?  Discuss the video review here
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline MIGMaster

• Man-at-Arms
  • Watch your corners people.....
Re: Feedback on Video Review of Cyborg MMO Mouse
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:48:21 AM »
Good job SoM or should I say Birthday Boy ! - I found the review informative and thorough - even though I'm an old guy  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:50:40 AM by MIGMaster »

Offline TheCommandTent

• Crossbowman
  • On your left flank!
    • The Command Tent
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:25:54 AM »
Still not sure I need to buy one of these, that or I am just in denial. :)
“No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is.”

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:52:52 AM »
Still not sure I need to buy one of these, that or I am just in denial. :)

All those adjustable features are cool. I still like my Razer Naga, but I think this Cyborg is giving it a good run.

Offline Shelldrake

• Man-at-Arms
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:36:03 AM »
That is one crazy looking mouse!!  8)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:48:11 AM »
That is one crazy looking mouse!!  8)

It is unconventional, but I've watched a demo of it on the Cyborg site and it is mad-adjustable, which makes me think it actually works. This has weights that can be added to make it lighter or heavier, too, which is interesting.

The only thing I don't love about it is that it's corded. My Naga can be cordless. If I wear the battery out, I can plug in a cord and run with that, but being cordless is a big win in my book. Some folks have pristine gaming areas. I do not. Today I'm working on an armchair with some oversized flat armrests. Tomorrow I could be at my desk which is cluttered with everything from work-in-progress minis and models to papers and books. Having a cord - to me - is extra friction that just slows me down (at best) and at worst gets hung up on stuff.

That said, the Cyborg MMO 7 is less expensive and if you don't mind the cord (and the fact that the Naga changes colors!), it is a solid competitor to the Naga.

Offline son_of_montfort

• Ego rex Jerusalem et Sicilie, comitatus Provincie et Folcalquierii
  • Crossbowman
  • The Electronic Eremite
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
I'm not sure the Naga is more expensive. On Amazon they were pretty on par.

I tried out the Naga Epic first and, while I enjoyed the way it felt, the mouse is fairly light and has a "cheap" plastic feel. The number pad is a great idea, but it was harder to learn for me than the four way hat switch.

As to wireless versus wired, I've tried both for long periods of time and found that the effect of a wireless mouse is fairly inconsequential IF the wired mouse has a good quality braided cord. If the wire is too stiff, then it is a problem, but otherwise I haven't had the need for the wireless aspect. That is a highly subjective topic and some people flat out refuse to use wireless mice because of the threat of latency or batteries cutting out at a key moment. That is a little silly, latency in modern gaming mice is hardly a problem and one should plan ahead when it comes to battery power. The only caveat is that some wireless mice can get interference from other wireless devices and cut out. That is a serious problem, but one you will likely not be able to predict until you try the mouse out.

Where the naga has the slight upper hand is in its programming utility and in its out-of-the-box comfort level. The naga will feel good almost immediately, whereas the Cyborg requires "learning" and adjusting to get the proper configuration for your hand. Once you get there, the Cyborg has the potential to be more comfortable, but it is a flat-style mouse and wide mouse (compared to the Naga's arched and thing body), so that may throw some people. The naga is also able to be used for any game with a number pad with no programming, as the keys on the side automatically bind to the numbers on the keyboard. Now you may want to further refine these in the utility, but you can pretty much jump straight into several games with no extra work - something you can't do with the Cyborg (the buttons will do nothing until programmed).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we’ll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Offline LongBlade

• Unsanctioned Psyker
  • Blunderbuster
  • No Regerts
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 04:55:38 AM »
The Naga came with three different sized right-side finger rests for small, medium, and large. So while it is adjustable, it's not nearly so much as the Cyborg.

The programability is even more robust than you suggest. You can program it so that it knows which macros to load when a game is launched. It's not as complicated as it sounds - just find the .exe and name it. It'll know when you load Call of Duty or StarCraft. At present I'm not playing any twitch games so it's not a big deal. But it's a neat feature if you have different routines for different games.