The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985

Started by steve58, July 08, 2015, 02:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 06:31:16 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 06:07:38 PM
so if it's the best company scale system ever made it doesn't need to be changed, right? So if the system is unchanged. And the art is unchanged, what is new and why should anyone buy the same game again?

Divided Ground was a broken piece of software, but the Campaign Series is excellent. The game was re-written using the Campaign Series engine and not Divided Ground. The art is not the same - in fact, all of the counters have been redone and rescaled, there are completely new scenarios and maps.  It was produced by players of the Campaign Series that have also continued to support and modify East Front, West Front, and Rising Sun. The primary market for this game is for players of the Campaign system. There's been discussion on the Campaign Series forum at Matrix about this re-development effort for at least a year, with engagement from people who are dedicated players of this series.

Ok...cool. I'll probably pick it up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

I didn't know they modified the older Campaign Series version into this.  I thought they were fixing up the DG version. 

Must've been in even worse condition than anyone thought, if they threw it out and started from the earlier games in the series.  :o

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223

Release date looks to be late September 2015.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?

Because it is called Campaign Series and this look fits the series. It is a highly regarded and polished tactical wargame. Until today, CS  has a lot of coverage with regards to WW2. Now it is expanding post-WW2.

And it's true. Original divided ground was a mess.

JasonPratt

Oh good! -- I was hoping they weren't only borrowing the name.  O0

I for one welcome our new Middle Eastern overlords.

...you know how sometimes things in your head sound really funny and then you say them?  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

panzerde

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 08, 2015, 09:18:11 PM

I for one welcome our new Middle Eastern overlords.

...you know how sometimes things in your head sound really funny and then you say them?  :buck2:

ROFLMAO  :2funny:

If you weren't before, I suspect that gets you on a list, somewhere.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Staggerwing

I'll probably get this game as well even though I have the original DG. This version must be shinier, right?

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 08, 2015, 09:18:11 PM

I try to make it a point not to say the things in my head until they have been vetted.

Unless there is alcohol involved...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

JasonPratt

Quote from: panzerde on July 08, 2015, 09:23:48 PM
If you weren't before, I suspect that gets you on a list, somewhere.

I was briefly on a sig at least once maybe twice early in my career here, but that hasn't happened in a while. I'm hoping either this or the philosolabradoodle will get there.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

...from the forums:

A brief summary list of the key new features in Middle East:

Seven BattleView map modes: three 3D and four 2D (three and four levels of zoom-in & zoom-out respectively).

A massive graphics face-lift, with: new and improved map terrains, hex highlights, night graphics, transparent map labels; and redone 2D counters and graphical unit icons, an expanded set of NATO icons, alternative counter types, multiple 3D unit base types, markers-as-terrain, 2D unit thermometers, and more.

Air Levels for helicopter flight. Four unique zones that helicopters operate in; Ground, Nap of the Earth (NOE), Low, and High. Each having their own benefits and limitations.

Adaptive A/I, with dozens of game parameters and behaviors varied and set based on nation, year, and scenario. And a much more fully fleshed out Audacious/Cautious A/I.

Another, still larger toolbar option (joining the earlier, revised Standard, Small & None options). Expanded dialog boxes and Jump Map. New Infobox features and options.

Map editor, with up to 49 levels of elevation and no limitations on size (dependent on the graphics limitation of the customer's hardware).

Scenario editor, with the editors above, allows the customer to create any scenario the customer wishes. With dynamically reassigned nation sides.

A new file/folder scheme, with support for folders: data, graphics, logs, misc, OOBs, pictures, saves, scenarios, sounds, special, texts.

And a long list of minor new features. Please skim the Coder & Developer Diaries here for details.

We will be repeating some of the Diaries material, and posting new Diaries, in the coming weeks.

A major review and overhaul of the games' A/I is planned over the next year and beyond.

All of the new features, and still more to be developed in the coming year and more, will be retro-fitted to the original JTCS games (EF, WF & RS) in the planned "mega-update" scheduled for late 2016.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894632

...and mention of Vietnam and Cold War titles in the future:

In the future, you can expect at least two additional titles that are already under development; Vietnam (which will cover 1948-1979) and Cold War (spanning from 1948 to 1985/89).

Vietnam will be focused on historical/real battles.... from the French in Indochina to the USA in Vietnam to the Sino-Vietnam Conflict.

Cold War will have some historical/real battles but will be heavily focused on fictional (but historically plausable) timelines and situations. (For example, proposed invasion of Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis - what if it went hot?).

Don't forget that our games are living gives, we will continue to support and update them (for free, same as we have been doing with the Campaign Series).

Jason Petho

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894510

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Dammit Carl!

As a fan of the Campaign series (even have the old books, boxes, CDs 'cause I'm old like that), I will enjoy this one too.

berto

Quote from: jomni on July 08, 2015, 08:23:10 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 08, 2015, 04:33:24 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 08, 2015, 04:22:15 PM
The forum is up.  ...and an interesting comment from one of the devs (I think).

Divided Ground was scrapped. We found it didn't meet our standards, so while the theme is the same, it is actually a brand new game. Not a revamp.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894223

Release date looks to be late September 2015.

If you are going to make a totally new game, why make it look exactly like the old one?

Because it is called Campaign Series and this look fits the series. It is a highly regarded and polished tactical wargame. Until today, CS  has a lot of coverage with regards to WW2. Now it is expanding post-WW2.

And it's true. Original divided ground was a mess.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894878

More than a simple revamp, the Campaign Series really is evolving into a substantially new, but still familiar, modernized game series.

(Further note: In the years ahead, we don't rule out, indeed we plan for, significant new UI and graphics improvements also!)

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3894898

Making use of the limited time and resources we have, in Middle East we have substantially revamped the 2D map modes, adding two new larger, zoomed-in 2D modes (50% and 100% larger than the earlier largest zoom), along with a host of other 2D improvements. To some of us (old board war game grognards), the game has shifted focus, with 2D the new primary playing modes, and 3D in secondary status. (Much like, say, TOAW, where 2D is the primary interface, and 3D is an afterthought.)

That said, we do have longer-range plans to buff the Campaign Series' 3D. Rome Wasn't Built in a Day.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

panzerde

Thanks berto!

This man knows whereof he speaks, since he did most of it...  :)
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

The pixel art from the old games didn't bother me.  They have their own charm. 

It's the blocky or heavily pixelated 3D games that visually drive me nuts (Minecraft being a good example).