boys, I just played Age of rifles on a samsumg galaxy tab 4 in a dosbox

Started by gameleaper, July 06, 2015, 05:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

I just played Age of rifles on a samsumg galaxy tab 4 in a dosbox. I saw the dosbox app and decided to try it out, Im new to tablets so if this is old news sorry.

I found the dosbox to have lots of settings keyboard mouse joystick.

I had to hotswitch beteewn relative to absolute mouse tracking to do things in AoR and mouse sensitivity. Im not sure if its fully playable but it looks fine so far, ##I need to tinker with the settings more on the dosbox. you should give it ago if you has an android device

it looks like you can play almost any dos game on the tab, wow im blown away, with tablet gameimng, being mobile is great

Shelldrake

How difficult was the process of getting the game to run? A tablet seems like the perfect platform for a lot of DOS strategy classics.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

gameleaper

OK AN UPDATE on AoR on my galaxy tab 4 ,Im not useing any external hamepads or anything and im useing dosbox tutbo, I mapped the four virtial buttons to DPAD_UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT , then i checked the checkbox to show buttons on screen. I changed mouse tracking to absolute, you can rotate the screen to get the buttons out of the way to emd turn.

The only niggle is chosing menu items, this will be better if your on a 10inch screen, or useing a stylus, buts its possible without, and im useing a 7inch galaxy tab 4.

you have to mount d storage/emulated/0/Download/doscd -t cdrom .. after you place RILES folder and CD files (doscd) into download folder

Toonces

I read about a bunch of folks trying to get the old Elder Scrolls games like Daggerfall to work on an Android tablet. 

Let me know if you get anywhere on that, GL.  That would be totally epic!  and you seem to know what the heck you're doing...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

Not that I need it (I have a Surface so I can run Dosbox in Win 8.1 if I want), but is there a good shell program for Dosbox on the Android yet? I don't use DB directly on my Windows systems, I use... uh... {trying to recall} well, it's maybe the most famous shell, crap I'm not at home to check right now... D-Fend? I think it's D-Fend.

It makes things a lot easier, and still allows for all the manual fiddling that anyone would want.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

gameleaper

there is a twin app dosbox profiler, that people share game settings for different games

I will keep messing with it toonces, it seems like powerfull dosbox to me. external attachments would help run games too.

the commands for dosbox seem complex but im just using the built in help of dosbox, its very easy, the difficult bit was to find where to put the game files, but its just in the download folder

gameleaper

I just loaded Tie Fighter the DOS 1984 version(gog.com) in the Dosbox, and it ran, but I cant control it just yet until I play with the mouse and joystick settings, im just testing the dosbox, im going to load dark forces later

don't be put off its not complex to run any dosgame, its as easy as putting the dos files in download folder and settin the cdrom folder.

the command for running games with a cdrom is above posts, its easy the command is practicaly wrote for you when you start the dosbox.

dosbox turbo has some great features, you can popup a keyboard or a joystick, and change settings while running.