Total War Games: Empire and Napoleon

Started by solops, June 29, 2015, 12:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

What is the story on these two? I recall reading that one was the best Total war game and the other was the worst. Help?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on June 29, 2015, 12:52:44 PM
What is the story on these two? I recall reading that one was the best Total war game and the other was the worst. Help?

They are both awesome, although that won't stop some people from whining and moaning about one thing or another. Generally, I think most would take the position that Napoleon is the more polished of the two.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

Tuna

Love them both as well!.. Seems like a lot of people do not like these versions, but I have had spent many hours of fun playing both of them!

Swatter

I liked Empire the most, but I didn't find it worth playing without DarthMod.

Cyrano

I'm one of JH's moaners...wait...never mind.

Suffice it to say that in every aspect of Napoleonic warfare that I find relevant, N:TW fails and that rather badly.

Troop scale, ground scale, terrain scale, weapon effectiveness (particularly relative one to another), troop formations, and even some of the purposes to which different troop types were put are all poorly done...and that leaves the rubbish of the naval game to the side.   It's an ancients system that was never intended for the black powder era and it shows at every turn. 

I also, and this is a personal grievance I'll warrant, could never get either E:TW or N:TW working properly on my home rig even though I can easily run Rome II at all the highest settings with no problem whatsoever.

Strangely, perhaps because I care much less about the Lace Wars era, I wasn't driven half so mad by the experience of E:TW and even managed to finish an entire Grand Campaign.

At the least, there's absolutely no need to pay anything approaching Steam retail for either game as they go on sale for less than $10 fairly frequently.  If you're not looking for anything approaching historical verisimilitude, there's a lot of game there for that price.  I think of both games as the gaming equivalent of pixie sticks.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Sir Slash

I'll second what Swatter said. Darthmod is a big plus for both games and I liked ETW better than NTW. The hits on Empire relate to the game being very broken at release. I thought Shogun 2 was a bit better than both the aforementioned but it's close. Empire's world map is probably the largest of any TW game. Napoleon's combat maybe better than Empire.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I liked Empire and Napoleon the least in the series...it's been so long since I played either I can't even recall why.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Cyrano on June 29, 2015, 02:13:23 PM
I'm one of JH's moaners...wait...never mind.

Suffice it to say that in every aspect of Napoleonic warfare that I find relevant, N:TW fails and that rather badly.

Troop scale, ground scale, terrain scale, weapon effectiveness (particularly relative one to another), troop formations, and even some of the purposes to which different troop types were put are all poorly done...and that leaves the rubbish of the naval game to the side.   It's an ancients system that was never intended for the black powder era and it shows at every turn. 

I also, and this is a personal grievance I'll warrant, could never get either E:TW or N:TW working properly on my home rig even though I can easily run Rome II at all the highest settings with no problem whatsoever.

Strangely, perhaps because I care much less about the Lace Wars era, I wasn't driven half so mad by the experience of E:TW and even managed to finish an entire Grand Campaign.

At the least, there's absolutely no need to pay anything approaching Steam retail for either game as they go on sale for less than $10 fairly frequently.  If you're not looking for anything approaching historical verisimilitude, there's a lot of game there for that price.  I think of both games as the gaming equivalent of pixie sticks.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

See, but this critique is not fair in my opinion. The game was never meant to be an ultra realistic simulation of 18th and 19th century warfare. If that is what you are looking for, then yes, might was well not bother...but I don't think it is right to knock a game for being what it is not, and what it was never meant or advertised to be.

its one thing to say it is simply not your cup of tea and then pass on it, but its another thing completely to attack the game and urge someone to avoid paying retail for it because it is not what you wanted or hoped it would be. Quite frankly, I've certainly received my money's worth, and then some. And to say its the "gaming equivalent of pixie sticks"? Come on...that is just gratuitously inaccurate and offensive to those who enjoy it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Cyrano

I think the critique is fair, but I do not dispute for a moment that there's a whole lot of "courses for horses" where the critic is obligated to explain why a game like this hacks him off.  In fact, last time I slagged N:TW hereabouts one of our forum colleagues contacted me off-line and asked, in effect, "dude, why so angry?"

I did want more from these games because I wanted them to be at least different if not better than they turned out to be.  Others here and elsewhere have judged N:TW and E:TW within the confines of the TW series which, of course, comes with its own set of assumptions, and found them wanting.  For me -- although I've played every one of the damn things from Shogun forward -- that really wasn't ever an option.  Maybe, because of my love of the era, I couldn't bear the system's cheats and abstractions anymore.  They were always there, but it was all so damn pretty.  Maybe, on the contrary, I'm just a fun-killing, aging git.  I note in passing  that these are not mutually exclusive.    Whatever the case, I can't bear the thing for reasons aforesaid.

That others have enjoyed it and some immensely is unquestionable and perhaps I even envy them a bit.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Martok

I hated Empire for its strategic AI, which badly suffered from the "Black Knight syndrome" even worse than most TW titles (and was never really fixed from what I saw). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mikeck

I like them both...Empire is more for me because of the time period and scope. In the end...its total war, not Histwar. It's like complaining about Panzer general because it's nort War in the East
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

airboy

I just bought Empire Total War last weekend for $5 on the Steam sale.  It had overall good reviews both by users and by critics.

W8taminute

Both are good games in my humble opinion with Napoleon being slightly more polished than Empire.  These games are not to be taken seriously and if you just play them to have fun they're both good.  I prefer Empire simply because the map covers pretty much most of the civilized world at the time. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

To be fair, you can't tell how seriously not to take the games from their marketing campaigns.  ::)

From the stated intentions of the publishers they were meant to be taken seriously as strategic games for the period, and as tactical games for the period. If we have to plant our tongues firmly in cheek to enjoy playing them, they still failed to meet the expectations generated by Creative Assembly marketing -- in that broad sense. (They also failed to provide a particularly stable game for Empire on release, and for a long time afterward.)

As gorgeous games which feature a lot of somewhat-relevant strategic/cultural management and tactical action, I think they undoubtedly succeed, assuming you can get them to run stably.  ;) There have been many competitors but the Total War series is still, very deservedly, the champion for this kind of game, despite its frequent warts and aberrant mutations.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!