Memories...Computer Ambush

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 26, 2015, 05:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I played the hell out of that when it first came out.  I would shorten the turn length from 25 seconds down to 2 because I found that it took 10-15 minutes for the old ][+ (with an extra 16k of RAM!) to process a 10v10 turn at the default time setting.

RooksBailey

I loved that game.  One of the my all time favorites.  That and Sid Meir's NATO Commander were two of my wargame favorites from the 8-bit era.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

BanzaiCat

I played NATO Commander too...but only after I discovered Crusade in Europe, Decision in the Desert, and Conflict in Vietnam first.

Red Lightning kind of replaced NATO Commander for me, too.

Grim.Reaper

Those were the days with all these games....posted this in the past, but receiving the SSI game catalog in the mail was always an awesome time for me...remember reading it over and over again, drooling over the games...link to a bunch of the old catalogs.

http://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=header-ssi

RooksBailey

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 26, 2015, 08:37:08 PM
I played NATO Commander too...but only after I discovered Crusade in Europe, Decision in the Desert, and Conflict in Vietnam first.

Red Lightning kind of replaced NATO Commander for me, too.

I loved Red Lightning too!  That was my favorite after NATO Commander.  I think Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm is the heir apparent to that august lineage.  I just wish Red Storm generated those cool newspaper reports that we had in NATO Commander.  That, along with the breaking news announcements that would scroll across the top of the map, really added to the immersion.

Anybody remember Theater: Europe?  :)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Cyrano

Denny Dumke...the "D" in "Computer Ambush".

Seriously, this may be, for me, as judged in its era, the greatest game ever made.

I figured out how to copy floppy disks just to make sure I had not one but three backups for it on my C64.

I used to cite that line mentioned in the article from the designer about "One day when we all have a Cray II computer..." as if it were holy writ...

I can still write those commands in painful detail if put to it.

I didn't realize how long I had left my C64 on while playing this game until I smelled it melting from overuse...seriously.

A fine, fine memory.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806