Author Topic: No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?  (Read 53464 times)

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
Re: No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?
« Reply #345 on: October 29, 2018, 01:18:49 PM »
I've got about 80 hours in to it...so I guess that means I like it. Generally, I follow the story quests. It is a grinder however. Reminds me of a more sedate MMORPG...

So I would not be really happy about restarting and having to redo the quests...but I would say the same thing about Skyrim or Fallout 4.

I still haven't plumbed all of the play features in NMS either. I still don't have a merchant ship to act as my base for example.

But I can see that NMS would not be to some folk's taste. Particularly if you like combat. While you can definately get into fights in NMS, it is not really required. For the most part, combat can be avoided.
"Baseball's Sad Lexicon" - 1910

These are the saddest of possible words:
      ďTinker to Evers to Chance.Ē
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
      Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
      Making a Giant hit into a doubleó
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
      ďTinker to Evers to Chance.Ē

"Tinker to Evers to Chance"
"where doubles go to die"

These three players helped the Cubs win four National League championships and two World Series from 1906 to 1910.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #346 on: October 29, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »
I've got about 80 hours in to it...so I guess that means I like it. Generally, I follow the story quests. It is a grinder however. Reminds me of a more sedate MMORPG...

So I would not be really happy about restarting and having to redo the quests...but I would say the same thing about Skyrim or Fallout 4.

I still haven't plumbed all of the play features in NMS either. I still don't have a merchant ship to act as my base for example.

But I can see that NMS would not be to some folk's taste. Particularly if you like combat. While you can definately get into fights in NMS, it is not really required. For the most part, combat can be avoided.

Wow! 80 hours in and you don't have a capital ship or fleet yet!?! That was one of the first things I did after that update hit and building my little fleet up has probably been the most fun I've had in the game so far. Now, that being said, I don't really have a base on any planet and I have not constructed any ground vehicles...lol
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #347 on: October 29, 2018, 04:12:15 PM »
Anyone playing this actively?
I finally picked it up for a mere 10 dollah as what Iíve been reading looks like the game has improved quite a bit and for only a tenner Iíd be willing to take a look with my own eyes.
I understand the latest patch even added a whole underwater world!

where did u get for $10?

Offline AchillesLastStand

• Viking
« Reply #348 on: October 29, 2018, 10:57:09 PM »
Anyone playing this actively?
I finally picked it up for a mere 10 dollah as what Iíve been reading looks like the game has improved quite a bit and for only a tenner Iíd be willing to take a look with my own eyes.
I understand the latest patch even added a whole underwater world!

where did u get for $10?

It is half off @ Green Man Gaming right now which puts it around 30$. I got it during their summer sale for around 24.

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #349 on: October 30, 2018, 02:13:16 AM »
I got it from cdkeys for a tenner. Shady? Perhaps, I dont know.
"(...) running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline Grim.Reaper

• Crossbowman
« Reply #350 on: October 30, 2018, 03:17:36 AM »
I got it from cdkeys for a tenner. Shady? Perhaps, I dont know.

thanks....looks like back at $23 so will hold off for now

Offline jamus34

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2019, 02:38:48 PM »
Itís a grind and a bit of a PITA.

But Iíve been coming back to it more and more lately.
Insert witty comment here.

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
« Reply #352 on: June 16, 2019, 02:56:37 PM »

VR update should be hitting sometime this summer. That will draw me back in.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline AchillesLastStand

• Viking
« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2019, 12:11:11 AM »

VR update should be hitting sometime this summer. That will draw me back in.

This has me excited, the Beyond update coming this summer.
The first component of Beyond we are announcing today is No Manís Sky Online.

No Manís Sky Online includes a radical new social and multiplayer experience which empowers players everywhere in the universe to meet and play together. Whilst this brings people together like never before, and has many recognisable online elements, we donít consider No Manís Sky to be an MMO Ė it wonít require a subscription, wonít contain microtransactions, and will be free for all existing players.

I have to give the developer props, when the game came out it wasn't as advertised and got trashed big time in the reviews. With each update the game has gotten better and better. The developers have never given up and jumped ship.

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2019, 01:52:17 AM »
Though they changed concepts?

Offline Huw the Poo

• Landsknecht
« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2019, 10:44:59 AM »
I have to give the developer props, when the game came out it wasn't as advertised and got trashed big time in the reviews. With each update the game has gotten better and better. The developers have never given up and jumped ship.

100% agreed.  They did exactly the right thing given the circumstances.

What do you mean?  The core game has been the same all this time.

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »
I think I am going to give it a serious look when that drops, but I am wary of the stories of extensive grinding needed. If so, my stint will be short I think.
"(...) running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline jomni

• Landsknecht
« Reply #357 on: June 17, 2019, 07:17:24 PM »

100% agreed.  They did exactly the right thing given the circumstances.

What do you mean?  The core game has been the same all this time.

Originally they have justified ďNo multiplayerĒ. Universe so big you canít meet anyone. Apparently that all will change. Hopefully itís a good experience.

Offline Pete Dero

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #358 on: June 18, 2019, 01:51:59 AM »
I think I am going to give it a serious look when that drops, but I am wary of the stories of extensive grinding needed. If so, my stint will be short I think.

I think the game is meant to be a relaxing experience and these mods help to achieve that by removing or reducing small annoyances :

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/50  Reduces the cost for launching your ship from the ground
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/624 Instead of pressing a key for almost one second, this mod provides quicker inputs (and a small cursor as an option)
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1022 Increases the stack size by either x2, x3, x5, x10, x15, x20
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1036 Enforces a rule that substances and products that can be available in station terminals, will be available.

The bigger stack size reduces the grind because you don't have to travel every few minutes to the ship because your inventory is full !
If you don't want to cheat too much just use the x2 of x3 version.

Offline Rayfer

• Condottieri
« Reply #359 on: June 18, 2019, 06:03:50 AM »

I think the game is meant to be a relaxing experience and these mods help to achieve that by removing or reducing small annoyances :

https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/50  Reduces the cost for launching your ship from the ground
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/624 Instead of pressing a key for almost one second, this mod provides quicker inputs (and a small cursor as an option)
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1022 Increases the stack size by either x2, x3, x5, x10, x15, x20
https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/1036 Enforces a rule that substances and products that can be available in station terminals, will be available.

The bigger stack size reduces the grind because you don't have to travel every few minutes to the ship because your inventory is full !
If you don't want to cheat too much just use the x2 of x3 version.

PD...thanks for the links, the mods look great because the game is a grind and they look to help alleviate it to some degree.  Do you happen to know if they can be used in the Steam version of the game?