Front Office Football Seven

Started by JudgeDredd, May 29, 2015, 05:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So Arctic Blast, Grim Reaper and kyzmo44 - what's it like? Seems fairly positive on Steam with 89% average

Nevermind - found this thread (which I was active in!!)

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6827.135

But - are you still playing it? Is it ok? Seems rather positive on Steam.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

I haven't played it much recently, too many other things on my plate...but if your looking for the best American football career game, you can't go wrong.  With OOTp's version likely delayed due to developer health issues, might be awhile before there are any alternatives.

Nefaro

The percentage matrices used for setting up your style of playcalling, formations, etc are a tiresome pain in the ass.   That facet of the game needs an extra user-friendly & intuitive layer over the top of it.  It detracts from the football scheme feeling when you're just punching in a huge amount of percentage chances like that.

You can just let the AI set up all that stuff for you.  But it's never really played to your roster strengths very much.  Basically, the AI sets up every team to run the same style of Offensive or Defensive strategies with only very slight variations in the numbers.  Much of the wonderfully deep strategy in American Football seems to get lost in that wall of numbers.  :tickedoff:

I'm hoping future versions have some major changes in this part because the rest of it is fairly solid, albeit digitally primitive as far as modern sports manager games go.  It seriously needs some real football strategies to deal with in the UI - not likelihood percentages that make it feel more like a slot machine.  For someone unfamiliar with all the little details of setting up an Offensive Scheme, it probably isn't going to be very intuitive and, worse, not very representative of the real thing.

That being said, I bought the last version knowing it still has this flaw.  It's the only one out there that's received any additions in the past few years.

There are some user-created Offensive Scheme saves that can be downloaded to help as a better starting base for what kind of focus you want (Run heavy, Short Pass, Big Plays, etc) somewhere on the one popular forum for it, if you get bored of letting the AI middle-ground it the whole way through.  Or you could spend the time changing all the numbers you want, to experiment.