Ride forth to the Weekend (Friday Thread)

Started by Kushan, May 28, 2015, 11:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kushan

Weekend came early for me this week. As of 5pm PST Wednesday I'm on vacation until Monday. Spent all afternoon today playing Elite. Started playing around noon and the next thing I know its 6 in the evening. Finally started branching out from the starting area. Bought a Hauler early this week. and its already paid for itself and then some. Closing in on what I would need to buy and equip a Cobra Mk 3.

If I can tear myself away from Elite, I have CMANO, Cities Skyline, EUIV, and Distant Worlds games to continue.

I may also break out and start a new game of Steel Wolves but that will require some re-reading of the rules.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

MetalDog

I have a Single Player Civ IV BtS Duel going against Napoleon.  I have a lead and we are in the last 35 Turns of the game.  Nappy declared on me and took back the one city I had taken from him.  He threw over 75 units in to the fight in the initial assault.  I held, but, lost tons of materiel.  Once the Turn flipped, I loaded the survivors on Galleons and fled back to my own continent. 

I am attempting to pick off his navy as it comes across.  I also have a goodly size home defense force.  The problem is, I also own four islands with one city apiece.  I worry that he will pick them off before I can mount a defense.  In any case, it's only 35 Turns.  I have ICBM's, he is ahead of me in Tech AND army composition (upgrades).  Here's to holding out -fingerscrossed-
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Anguille

I will continue playing Civilization 5 as my main game. I have two games going on but i will focus on my Alexander the Great campaign. The game is growing on me even if it think that Civilization 3 is superior in different aspects. The current scenario i am playing now is much less historical than the one in Civ 3. The game seems to be much easier as well (though sometimes i get crazy with Civ3). Taking cities however is an extremely difficult undertaking...

Otherwise i think i'll play Birth of the Federation with Ultimate 5 mod (thanks Martok) and maybe some HPS Alexandrian Wars. Horizon is tempting me as well but i am not sure i'll have the time.  ;)

Huw the Poo

Mother in Law is visiting this weekend so probably very little for me.  If I do get an opportunity it will probably be X Rebirth.

JudgeDredd

Games in favour just now are The Witcher 3 and pCars. There will likely be some Assetto Corsa and my pbem CM:BS with UCG...contact has (at last) been made!
Alba gu' brath

Martok

Probably just more Ultimate Mod 5 for Birth of the Federation (hope you have fun with it, Anguille!).  I've gotta pack for my move (not far, just the next town over), so I likely won't have a ton of time for gaming this weekend. 

Good luck against the Corsican, MetalDog!  :) 

(I have to ask, though...galleons *and* ICBM's? ??? ) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

I played some Star Wars Imperial Assault with my daughter last night (the tutorial mission, twice). Great fun but there's a lot of moving parts. Also the Heroes can wipe the floor with the Imperials, at least in the set-up they give for the tutorial. Maybe that was the intention.

I've also been playing a bit of Civilization V, as Venice, which I've never played before. Civ V always struck me as a "MINE" game. That is, you see a choice piece of territory and you cry out, "MINE" and plop a Settler on it. If the AI puts a city there before you, you say "MINE" and attack them to conquer the city (maybe the rest of their cities just to show 'em they can't take YOUR property). Venice is an entirely different mindset in the Civ V universe and I've had great fun playing them thus far.

I'm going to do some more Ottoman Sunset for my AAR, then will probably do some B-29 and B-17 as well (both for AARs). Possibly some other board games too.

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 29, 2015, 01:01:44 AM
Games in favour just now are The Witcher 3 and pCars. There will likely be some Assetto Corsa and my pbem CM:BS with UCG...contact has (at last) been made!

I shall be avenging the slaughter of my fine chaps - for contact read high explosive tank shell to the face of half a squad!!

There will be some Silent Hunter IV, did the tutorials, got thoroughly smashed to bits by 2 destroyers so spent the night reading up on evasion, diving and keeping the hell away from them and then ill start a career

Some CMANO, and i think the PBEM may come to its sticky end

tgb

GalCiv III and Rebuild:Gangs of Deadville (1.0 is out later today)

MetalDog

Quote from: Martok on May 29, 2015, 03:01:09 AM

Yeah...about that.  The only way I was going to stay competitive with Nappy was to build a large enough army and navy to deter invasion.  And I am of the mindset that it is better to upgrade an existing unit than to disband it and build anew.  The problem with upgrading is that it is VERY expensive.  Especially when you have a boatload of obsolete units and limited Gold.  It's so bad that when I lost Lyons, there were still three Macemen defending the city.  The reasoning behind THAT move is that Macemen are the last unit that has the ability to get the City Attack buff.  I was hoping to include the Macemen in future attacks to get their experience up enough to max out the City Attack buffs available to them and THEN upgrade.  A three promotion City Attack Mechanized Infantry would have been a fearsome thing!

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on May 29, 2015, 06:14:06 AM
Quote from: Martok on May 29, 2015, 03:01:09 AM

Yeah...about that.  The only way I was going to stay competitive with Nappy was to build a large enough army and navy to deter invasion.  And I am of the mindset that it is better to upgrade an existing unit than to disband it and build anew.  The problem with upgrading is that it is VERY expensive.  Especially when you have a boatload of obsolete units and limited Gold.  It's so bad that when I lost Lyons, there were still three Macemen defending the city.  The reasoning behind THAT move is that Macemen are the last unit that has the ability to get the City Attack buff.  I was hoping to include the Macemen in future attacks to get their experience up enough to max out the City Attack buffs available to them and THEN upgrade.  A three promotion City Attack Mechanized Infantry would have been a fearsome thing!

i need to play Civ IV more

MetalDog

I agree!  I'd even offer my services to helping you get along.  We can mp and chat while on Steam.  Worked smashingly well for me and bob in Warlock.  Although, he already had a good handle on the game.

undercovergeek

across my entire portfolio Civ II is probably my most played, that feeling you get when you know the intricacies of a game, like you know about the City bonus - i wouldnt have had a clue, i need to upto my armpits in a game like that - im there with CKII but whenever i play that the sun comes up unexpectedly!

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 29, 2015, 05:20:05 AM
I played some Star Wars Imperial Assault with my daughter last night (the tutorial mission, twice). Great fun but there's a lot of moving parts. Also the Heroes can wipe the floor with the Imperials, at least in the set-up they give for the tutorial. Maybe that was the intention.

I think the first mission is an intentionally easy one for the heroes.  It's the same for Descent, which is it's mechanical predecessor.

I haven't played Imperial Assault yet.  It's been sitting in my "to play" stack, staring at me.  The way the missions are set up & chosen is much different than the fairly linear ones in Descent.  The latter's stock campaign scenarios seemed to ramp up in difficulty over the first two or three scenarios, regarding heroes.  After that it could get tough.  Of course, some of that depends upon the synergies between the hero's abilities and how effective the Keeper's own class level-ups are.

If you ever feel like playing it solitaire, there is a set of nice Co-Op rules on BGG that were ported from the Descent variant of same, IIRC.  They use a small deck of cards to run the Keeper's units.  If I use them, I'll probably just use the variant cards I have printed for Descent since they're probably the same other than the Star Wars art.

Gusington

Going to start a Japanese campaign in Order of Battle - Pacific Assault after playing through fhe tutorials for 5 hours. I'm decent with the ground and air combat bits, less so with the naval combat bit. May also play some Victory at Sea. And maybe some BOMB and IL21946.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd