Is there a "Battlecruiser 3000AD" sim about?

Started by JudgeDredd, May 27, 2015, 12:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

As the title.

I always liked the idea of Battlecruiser 3000AD. Unfortunately it did actually turn out to be a bit like a Desktop Commander (and besides, looks like shite...I couldn't go back even if it was working.

So - are there any other space sims out there like it?

Key elements would be

• Ability to deploy ground units for invasion/boarding etc
  • Ability to deploy fighters/bombers for defence/attack
  • Main focus of the game is commanding a huge space ship
  • No requirement to be able to jump into any other aspect (fighter/ground unit)
  • I don't want thousands of units

I know there's Homeworld redux out there - and whilst I like the idea of it and it fits (partially), there are too many units for me and there's no ground element.

Carrier Command is slightly too simplistic.

Is there anything else? Is Star Citizen going to be like that? Or is that more Elite-esque?

What about Star Drive? Or the other one I get confused with that?

Thanks.
Alba gu' brath

Anguille

Take a look at Nexus: the Jupiter Incident and Starpoint Gemini 2 (available on GOG).

Huw the Poo

As far as I'm aware no other game comes close to what the Battlecruiser series is tried to be.  Which makes it all the more bitter that the series sucks.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 27, 2015, 01:07:09 AM
As far as I'm aware no other game comes close to what the Battlecruiser series is tried to be.  Which makes it all the more bitter that the series sucks.
Quite. Superb concept badly implemented.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Anguille on May 27, 2015, 01:03:25 AM
Take a look at Nexus: the Jupiter Incident (available on GOG).
I'm a bit concerned it's on GoG bearing in mind I'm a shameless graphics whore - but I'll look - thank you  O0
Alba gu' brath

Anguille

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 27, 2015, 01:19:26 AM
Take a look at Nexus: the Jupiter Incident (available on GOG).
I'm a bit concerned it's on GoG bearing in mind I'm a shameless graphics whore - but I'll look - thank you  O0

I think that Nexus still looks great despite it's age.

I've added Starpoint Gemini 2 in my post (available on steam and GOG). ;)

spelk

+1

Nexus was brilliant. It had a real feel for managing a large starship, the graphics are still nice now. I kickstarted a Nexus 2 project but it sadly failed. I don't get it really, because surely running a whole starship (or fleet) is much more interesting/exciting than being a single fighter flyboy? Apparently not.

Your only issue with Nexus is that its a series of storied missions, not sandbox. It coming up in discussion will have me playing it again... bah...

Pete Dero

Product Description
Starshatter: The Gathering Storm integrates elements of real-time-strategy games by allowing fleet commanders to direct the battle on a tactical level launching fighters and directing destroyers to defend the fleet and annihilate enemy forces.Starshatter extends the gameplay concepts of classic sims by combining fighter and starship combat in a single game.

Matrix ( http://www.matrixgames.com/products/334/details/Starshatter.-.The.Gathering.Storm ) no longer sells this game but it is released as an open source project (i guess this is legit)

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=80935.0

Nefaro

Quote from: spelk on May 27, 2015, 02:04:23 AM

+1

Nexus was brilliant. It had a real feel for managing a large starship, the graphics are still nice now. I kickstarted a Nexus 2 project but it sadly failed. I don't get it really, because surely running a whole starship (or fleet) is much more interesting/exciting than being a single fighter flyboy? Apparently not.

Your only issue with Nexus is that its a series of storied missions, not sandbox. It coming up in discussion will have me playing it again... bah...

I thought there was some Megamod for Nexus that also featured a battle generator of sorts? 

Seem to recall reading some posts about it elsewhere, before I picked up the GOG version quite awhile back. 

Never got around to playing it, naturally.  Probably because I didn't want to go digging for a mod that had been around for awhile and there is always other stuff I haven't played yet.

Nefaro

As some of you may have noticed.. I've been resorting to Stafleet Command 2 for my single capital starship fix.  I'm using the Orion Pirates version lately, though, since it's more stable.  EAW Community Edition has all too regular CTDs at the moment.

Got the digital download for $6 here:

http://www.dynaverse.net/market/5-star-trek-starfleet-command-orion-pirates.html

I spoke with the developers of Starpoint Gemini a few years ago, as I was an early adoptee.  The original obviously borrowed from SFC's style of ship combat and he confessed as much.  I was rather sad to see Starpoint Gemini 2 switch to a more twitchy fighter-style system.  :-\

steve58

ack!  BC3000AD lives still??

http://store.steampowered.com/app/370810/

...side note, would be interesting to see HH / DS nit-picking/defending a game/sim/etc :crazy2:  :2funny:
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mikeck

Quote from: Nefaro on May 27, 2015, 05:03:10 AM
Quote from: spelk on May 27, 2015, 02:04:23 AM

+1

I thought there was some Megamod for Nexus that also featured a battle generator of sorts? 

Seem to recall reading some posts about it elsewhere, before I picked up the GOG version quite awhile back. 

Never got around to playing it, naturally.  Probably because I didn't want to go digging for a mod that had been around for awhile and there is always other stuff I haven't played yet.

Yes,
There is a battle editor. I still play nexus and the graphics are just as good as homeworld. It still has the best space combat engine with the ability to target specific ship sections with particular weapons at long range.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on May 29, 2015, 07:07:08 PM
ack!  BC3000AD lives still??

http://store.steampowered.com/app/370810/

...side note, would be interesting to see HH / DS nit-picking/defending a game/sim/etc :crazy2:  :2funny:

I saw this. I'm not holding my breath.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Battlecruiser 3000 AD. Man, I remember Dr. Derek Smart berating me because I dared ask him how I could avoid CTD's back when he was posting on AOL message boards.  He really lit into me when I asked why some features in the manual weren't working.  Called me a moron about the issues with the auto targeting defense systems if I remember correctly.

Blast from the past.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 29, 2015, 10:59:23 PM
Battlecruiser 3000 AD. Man, I remember Dr. Derek Smart berating me because I dared ask him how I could avoid CTD's back when he was posting on AOL message boards.  He really lit into me when I asked why some features in the manual weren't working.  Called me a moron about the issues with the auto targeting defense systems if I remember correctly.

Blast from the past.

So it was a normal day for him?