How many gamers actually finish RPG's

Started by Rayfer, May 24, 2015, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Grim.Reaper

I rarely finish any game...think the last was sniper 2..  It's a sickness.

mikeck

Except for Baldurs Gate 2....never. I spend an eternity setting up my characters just right, buy the guide book and set out while uncovering every little side quest possible. About 10-12 game hours later I'm on to something else. Then 6 months later when I come back, I can't remember what I'm doing
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RooksBailey

Quote from: mikeck on May 24, 2015, 08:02:57 PM
About 10-12 game hours later I'm on to something else. Then 6 months later when I come back, I can't remember what I'm doing

That is me, too!   ;D  I finish very few games because of this.  But I have been endeavoring to complete more games the last few years (and it helps that my game purchases are way down - I am less likely to be distracted by something new these days). 

Games I recently finished include STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, Fallout 3, Shadowrun Returns: Deadman's Switch, Saint's Row: The Third, Torchlight, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and BlackOps 2, and Borderlands.  That is about it over the past three years. 

Games I am currently working on completing: Frozen Synapse campaign, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Metro 2033, and Gunpoint (yes, I haven't even managed to complete that five hour game!  LOL!). 

Another complication for me is that when I really like a game, particularly a story-driven game, I DO NOT want to finish it.  It makes me sad when I know there is nothing left to explore, so I deliberately drag my heels.   :idiot2:
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

jomni

That's why I don't play that genre.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Almost always.

Having said that, I didn't even start Divinity: OS because I can't remap the keys.

I was very far into Pillars of Eternity when I tried to take on the big boss at the bottom of the keep.  Even with all party characters at max level, I couldn't get the bad guy's health below 50% before losing the entire party.  It didn't matter which combo of characters I took or what combo of spells and potions I used, it was just a slaughter even after I lowered the difficulty to easy.  I tried dozens of times but never even came close to winning that fight.  Even though it's just a side quest, it put me off enough that I haven't gone back to the game.

Gusington

I 'finished' Skyrim, meaning, I completed the main storyline. And it was awesome. It took me 150 hours, and I also completed all the DLCs. But I know there's 100s of hours left in there.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 24, 2015, 08:28:02 PM
I was very far into Pillars of Eternity when I tried to take on the big boss at the bottom of the keep.  Even with all party characters at max level, I couldn't get the bad guy's health below 50% before losing the entire party.  It didn't matter which combo of characters I took or what combo of spells and potions I used, it was just a slaughter even after I lowered the difficulty to easy.  I tried dozens of times but never even came close to winning that fight.  Even though it's just a side quest, it put me off enough that I haven't gone back to the game.

I'm a bit into PoE now (chars are 7th level). What keep are you talking about? The endless maze or whatever it's called under the run down base I got to take over?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

-budd-

I'm not the biggest RPG guy but i did finish dragon age origin, got the final boss battle on the third try ;D. I also finished Oblivion, bioshock 1&2-twice, system shock 2- twice , borderlands 1 if you count that, thats about it as far as i remember. Dragon age, Bioshock1 and system shock2 are on my favorite games list.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Ubercat on May 24, 2015, 09:05:38 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 24, 2015, 08:28:02 PM

I'm a bit into PoE now (chars are 7th level). What keep are you talking about? The endless maze or whatever it's called under the run down base I got to take over?

Yes.  There's a nasty beasty at the bottom.  Even after I completed another side quest to get a special ability that is supposed to help defeat said beast, I still get slaughtered.

Bison

My problem is that I keep creating new characters because I want to see how the classes play, what they look like, what the combat effects look like and then I find my self watching youtube videos.

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on May 24, 2015, 08:02:57 PM
Except for Baldurs Gate 2....never. I spend an eternity setting up my characters just right, buy the guide book and set out while uncovering every little side quest possible. About 10-12 game hours later I'm on to something else. Then 6 months later when I come back, I can't remember what I'm doing

Yep. 
That happened to me with Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor.

Nefaro

I also rarely finish ANY digital game. 

Actually, I've finished more RPG campaigns than any other genre.  So the specific targetting of RPGs may not be a fair assessment.

ComradeP

If a game eventually comes down to doing the same things I've been doing for hours already, I might get bored and move on. It does depend on whether there's a good story or not, as if there is I'm inclined to finish the game.

It is sort of a sickness that creeps up on you as you play more games: I've played so many games throughout the years that few of them feel like they're original enough to truly grab my attention. Taking breaks from a certain genre helps, but the problem doesn't go away entirely.

My attention span for games that are similar to ones I've already played isn't what it's used to be. I can spend hours on a wargame turn without any difficulty, but killing more or less the same guys over and over in an RPG isn't something that I find as enjoyable as I once did.

I'm currently playing Dragon Age: Origins, which I never finished when I bought it the first time after the DLC stopped working due to all the DRM hoops you had to jump through. I'm now 40 or so hours in and although I feel the characters and story are actually fairly flat and not that great, I find myself going back to it for short bursts.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45