Wizardry 6 + 7 + 8 all for £0.99

Started by Asid, May 17, 2015, 05:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asid

Wizardry Pack

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/wizardry_complete_storefront

£0.99  for next 42 hours

The Wizardry Pack contains all 3 games in the trilogy of The Dark Savant - Wizardy 6, 7 and 8.

The universe is in the throes of violent upheaval and change. Vast and mysterious forces are preparing for the final confrontation. A small group of heroes from distant lands must plunge into the heart of the maelstrom, to uncover long-forgotten secrets, and bring about a new era. Should they succeed, they will gain the powers of the gods themselves. If they fail, countless worlds will fall into the grip of darkness.
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Gusington

Wizardry has always intrigued me, but I don't know any details on the games. Any of you guys play them?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

For a buck-forty-nine US you can take the risk. I aim to do so myself.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Is the series dead? Will there ever be a new game in the series?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

IIRC, Wizardry 8 came out around 2000 or 2001.  I recall it was a bit difficult to find, but reviews were pretty glowing.

It is a great old-style RPG, the epitome of it's kind.  Only recently have some of these types been showing up again.  Wiz8 holds up quite well for how old it is. 

Wiz6 & 7 are from the DOS era and it shows.  Wizardry 7 is manageable, even though I had to use the extra DOS executable because the "enhanced" Windows version was moving slow as dirt on Win7. 

I have them all from GOG. 

Gusington

I remember being fascinated by the original when I was a kid - just the box and packaging, I mean. I remember thinking about buying it but picking up The Bard's Tale instead.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

For that price you're paying probably $0.000000000001 per hour JUST with creating your characters, let alone any actual, real gameplay.

I'd love to play some Wizardry - I bought a pack of 6, 7, and 8 last year sometime on Steam, but it's immensely frustrating to create characters. For the record I did play Crusaders of the Dark Savant back in the day and remember having to talk to some friends playing it to figure out the best character combo - this is another example of games that screw you royally if you're not careful with party set-up.

Rayfer

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 18, 2015, 08:23:24 AM
For that price you're paying probably $0.000000000001 per hour JUST with creating your characters, let alone any actual, real gameplay.

I'd love to play some Wizardry - I bought a pack of 6, 7, and 8 last year sometime on Steam, but it's immensely frustrating to create characters. For the record I did play Crusaders of the Dark Savant back in the day and remember having to talk to some friends playing it to figure out the best character combo - this is another example of games that screw you royally if you're not careful with party set-up.

Agreed....the character creation and level advancement process in Wiz 8 was quite complex, more so than any other rpg I've played. Still, it was a very well done game.

Greybriar

£0.99 is a great price for Wizardry 6, 7, & 8. Too bad it's not the DRM-Free versions from GOG.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 18, 2015, 08:23:24 AM

I love the amount of options & detail in the character creation of Wizardry 8.  Doesn't feel like I'm taking some default cookie cutters.  O0

More options = better, to me.

sandman2575

Quote from: Gusington on May 18, 2015, 07:31:08 AM
I remember thinking about buying it but picking up The Bard's Tale instead.

Speaking of which (and not to derail), but I'm pretty damn stoked about this:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/18/bards-tale-4/

The Bards Tales I-III fall into that extremely miniscule category of "Games I Actually Completed." God I loved those games...

BanzaiCat

The Bard's Tale remake they did a few years back was pretty atrocious.

Gusington

Yeah reviews were poor and.I.never played that new version of Bards Tale...way to bring the room down!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Well, sounds like Bard's Tale IV is returning to the basics, esp. since Fargo secured the rights to the IP from EA. So when this comes out (as hopefully it will), we can all pretend the last BT "remake" never happened. (... if only we could do the same for the Star Wars prequels when The Force Awakens comes out   8) )

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on May 18, 2015, 01:33:59 PM
Yeah reviews were poor and.I.never played that new version of Bards Tale...way to bring the room down!

I did play it. The game was wonky. The dialogue was somewhat amusing but got annoying pretty quickly. I never finished it - got it for my iPad a while back and haven't ever revisited it.