Using Ultimate General with 6th Graders

Started by James Sterrett, May 01, 2015, 06:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Excellent application of the technology. I had never really thought about this game and a touch screen, but that makes sense, too.

i imagine if schools did more to teach history through simulation and experiential tools, more students would be interested and would retain more. I'm going to share this with my wife (a school administrator) and brainstorm opportunities where I might br able to help out with something like this.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Boggit

Good point, Panzerde. I think simulations are a great way for kids to engage with history. It's all very well yacking on about dates and events, but if you can make it a relevant context, then that makes sense to people.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Ian C

Quote from: panzerde on May 02, 2015, 10:35:57 AM
i imagine if schools did more to teach history through simulation and experiential tools, more students would be interested and would retain more.

This is basically what Muzzy Lane has been doing for years and what Making History was originally created for.

Gusington

It works well, at least with my kids. When they see an animated armored hoplite or huscarl on screen, or an IS-2 rolling across a steppe landscape, they are enthralled. And they're still pretty young (6 and 9). I don't know why games aren't used more for teaching.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd