Battle Brothers Hits Early Access

Started by tgb, April 27, 2015, 11:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

I'm surprised a thread hadn't already been started. $20

I've only watched the tutorial and played a couple of the training scenarios so far.  Solid, deep turn-based combat with punishing difficulty.  It's been described as turn-based Mount & Blade, but I haven't played enough to comment on that as yet.

salazarus

I think it is more a Jagged Alliance in fantasy setting. For now they don't have storyline so it feels more like Mount & Blade. I like the tactical combat. It is hard and punishing. For now the game is bit clunky. I have few crashes, but nonetheless I like it very much.

undercovergeek

I saw it, watched the vids - couldn't get past the massive heads for player pieces, my fault I knowv

amandachen

The graphics are great, very erm graphic - you can see the faces of your little guys get all cut and bruised. One of my darlings got decapitated, and then a burly bandit stomped on his body. He didn't recover from it.

Grim.Reaper

I saw it a couple of days ago and tried the demo..just didn't immediately grab my attention, although I realize the demo is pretty old.  Will watch and see how things go.....graphics aren't my favorite looking, but if the rest of the game turns out wel, can overlook it.

Tpek

Played it a bit.
It seems pretty hard.
Either that or I'm doing things wrong.

My guys, even with 2-3 additional idiots added to my roster, can't even take out the first bandit outpost.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

tgb

Quote from: Tpek on April 28, 2015, 04:33:47 AM
Played it a bit.
It seems pretty hard.
Either that or I'm doing things wrong.

My guys, even with 2-3 additional idiots added to my roster, can't even take out the first bandit outpost.

I've read elsewhere that even though the bandit outpost is the first mission and the map lists it as "weak", it's only weak once you have a full compliment of 12 guys.  You have to wander around fighting random stuff and build up first.

As to the graphics, I didn't like them at first, either, but i'm getting used to them.

salazarus

Yes fights are brutal. Mercenaries die after 2-3 hits. You have to buy shields and keep you guys together. It is also important to keep eye on fatigue. Don't rush into the battle. Wait for the enemy so you can attack first. I had no problem with first battle and I had 6 guys.
I was very excited about this game and I'm glad that I bought it. So if you are excited about it you should get it too. The tactical battle are solid and fun to play. Strategic part is a bit clunky and needs some work. It can crash from time to time but they aren't frequent. The game isn't balanced so even week opponent can be very hard. I find orcs deadly. They charge at you doing massive damage so you need change tactic. Zombies are straightforward but they can resurrect themselves. 
If you are not excited about it wait for some more content and polishing.

tgb

One thing I'm definitely not digging is the micromanagement of travel.  I'm sure this will be straightened out eventually, but if you want to move your party along a road to get it to cross a bridge, you have to move one hex at a time.

Boggit

I wasn't impressed with the graphics, but the game itself looks like it has more potential. I'm wondering what you can do apart from just fight?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

tgb

Quote from: Boggit on April 28, 2015, 09:10:28 AM
I wasn't impressed with the graphics, but the game itself looks like it has more potential. I'm wondering what you can do apart from just fight?

So far, nothing.  Recruit units, fight, buy and sell equipment, upgrade and replace units after battle, rinse and repeat.  There supposed is a story campaign in the works with different factions you can owe allegiance to, but that's not in yet.

I'd like to see the excellent combat system in a game with a deeper strategy layer.  A remake of Darklands using this engine would be awesome.

JasonPratt

I would like to say that since despite the title this isn't a WH40K game I'm not interested.

But I would be lying.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

I plan on picking this up sometime.  Just not yet.  Gonna let it simmer (like many others).

Tpek

Hooo....
Finally won (survived) my first battle.
My 6 idiots against a few orcs.
Only lost 1 guy.
The rest leveled up and I've found some loot and enough gold to recruit a replacement. :)