Clap Your Hands and BELIEVE that there will be an Up Front!!

Started by Cyrano, April 23, 2015, 04:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

In my e-mail box today -- yes, I am a backer...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Status Update

Posted by Rik Falch
   Hello All, 

We have finally concluded the lawsuit with Phil Sauer, this has left our company depleted of all resources as most would understand happens from lawsuits. 

We were unable to post status updates during that time and now that the case has been dismissed, we can speak to the future of Up Front. 

We are trying to find some help from some other publishers to complete this project and move forward. There is interest and we are working to sort out the details but nothing has been agreed to. 

Your understanding during this time while we try to get this completed will be appreciated. Once we have solidified a deal, there will be an announcement. We appreciate these folks listening to our plea and we are hopeful to come to an arrangement as quickly as possible. 

Our biggest concern is that the supporters of this project can see the finished product. 

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

GJK

Yeah, just read that.  Not sure what to think but at least he said *something* where as everyone expected never to hear from him again.  It's my understanding that he lost his contract with Courtney Allen in February so not sure how this could get published without that (nevermind not having a publisher now).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Yep... at least it's something. I've got money in this too so the message was welcome.

Nefaro

So when does the next KS asking for more money start?  >:D

Cyrano

I was honestly wondering the exact same thing...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

:o  :D  :o  ???

Found on BGG...

Hasbro/WOTC releases Up Front as Print on Demand

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/148406/Up-Front-Complete-Game-BUNDLE?term=up+front

Now what? Do I sink more money into Up Front and buy this version or do I wait on the never to see the light of day KS version?

:(

Cyrano

Yeah, crossed my FB feed this morning.

I don't know WHAT to think, really...in the end, I think I'm sad.  This deserves a rules re-work and a re-print by someone good at it like GMT.

I fear that will never occur...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

GJK

The rules rewrite that I used (same rules but explained much better) as the original rules were a mess to try and learn.  That made learning the game fairly simple:  https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/611952/beginning-rules-rewrite

I don't know about that copy from Wargamevault.  It almost sounds like they took pictures of the original cards and then printed those; not even true scans.  ?

If I didn't have two copies already, I'd go the artscow route and print a copy from there:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18830118#18830118
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Nefaro

GJK

I can thank the "Mad Russian" Steve Overton for my 2nd copy plus Banzai expansion.  :)

I just watched the video on the WargameVault site showing the components from this UF "kit" and actuallly, for $45.00 I think that'd be a great way to give the game a try if someone was looking to do so.  It looked a lot better than what I imagined from just reading the description (which still sounds like they just took pictures of the originals and don't have the actual artwork in electronic format).
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Cyrano

I should have mentioned, I'd LOVE to know what prompted AH/Hasbro/WotC to release this this way.

We know the lawsuit was resolved, so the timing's likely less than mere coincidence, but just cutting the IP loose that way after so many people were willing to dump so much money into it for the KS is interesting to say the least.

This has got to put the final shiv to Falch, right?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

GJK

Quote from: Cyrano on April 30, 2015, 04:19:45 PM
I should have mentioned, I'd LOVE to know what prompted AH/Hasbro/WotC to release this this way.

We know the lawsuit was resolved, so the timing's likely less than mere coincidence, but just cutting the IP loose that way after so many people were willing to dump so much money into it for the KS is interesting to say the least.

This has got to put the final shiv to Falch, right?

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"

I haven't checked my sources for validity, but as posted on the Avalon Hill group on facebook:

QuoteChris Pramas I don't think there's any risk here. Hasbro bought Avalon Hill and put WotC in charge of its legacy back when I worked there (1998 to 2002). WotC has been working with OneBookShelf (the company that runs Wargames Vault) to release PDFs of many old D&D books. I bet this is part of a similar effort.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Double Deuce

The counters look like they are just printed on regular paper, maybe a  little thicker cardstock. Seems kind of rushed. I wonder if the KS interest and GMT reprinting Fields of Fire prompted them to try and milk some $$ out of it.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers