Main Menu

GTA V

Started by JudgeDredd, April 18, 2015, 02:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Has anyone experienced the auld BSOD?

I just got one only after maybe 15 or 20 minutes in?

I know JH has this - but anyone else and is there a fix? I've seen other people mention it on Google search, but I haven't found a fix yet

Ta
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

I was considering picking this up at sone point but are you saying an actual windows blue screen of death comes up while playing it?  I haven't seen a game cause that for me in ages so if that's the case I'll likely hold out until something like that is confirmed fixed, unless isolated to very unique situations.

undercovergeek

I'd seen a theory that the bsod was caused by the game absorbing all the PCs resources - like aaaalllllll of them

JudgeDredd

Yes...that's what happened. I haven't had one in a long time either.

Having said that, the Times I did have it, it was often driver related. Could even be heat...I didn't get to check.

I'll let you know if it's a consistent problem
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 18, 2015, 03:47:09 AM
Yes...that's what happened. I haven't had one in a long time either.

Having said that, the Times I did have it, it was often driver related. Could even be heat...I didn't get to check.

I'll let you know if it's a consistent problem

Thanks, appreciate that....hopefully they will sort things out...

JudgeDredd

I've just played for over an hour and no issues.

Watch this space  :)
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 18, 2015, 05:55:52 AM

I guess on top of whether there are issues, would also be interested in your thoughts on the actual gameplay....seems to be mostly universally loved, but I have not seriously played any of the past versions.  Just curious too, do you own the Steam version, physical version, or the rockstar download?  I am leaning towards the physical version just because of the hefty download requirements (60gb).

Tpek

The game is pretty buggy (lots of crashes).
And I've seen it having over-heating issues sometimes for no reason.

You could try to throttle the FPS on the game (limiting it to only 60 or even 30 or such) if you have over-heating problems.

Ian C

I'd not recommend using the NVIDIA game optimisation on the NIVIDA Experience.
It suggested settings too high for GTA 5, and too low for GTA 4.

Game works for me on my domestic rig of  i5 661 3.33GHz dual core, 4GB RAM and GeForce GTX 760 2GB VRAM, which is not a special pc by any means. I've been reading posts on Reddit and elsewhere saying that 'Behemoth' rigs are having stuttering issues and other things that are not spec-related.
For example, increasing water graphics to max on my rig has no performance impact.
TBH, seems like new release teething issues. GTA 4 was the same.

As far as content, it's mind blowing, no doubt about it. It's like twenty games in-one. RPG, FPS, Sports, Exploration...There are mini-games, easter eggs, a UFO conspiracy hidden in-game, bank heists with your own crews that improve skill levels,  upgrades on weapons, vehicles, clothes, haircuts, shades, underwater exploration, playing the stock market and too much to list here...it's freaking unbelievable how much depth there is in this game. You can switch between major characters and they have skill levels that can be improved via activity and experience. It's also impossible to gain money with cheats, which adds some gravity to making cash in the game.
My summary: a must-have, but has post-release issues so you may want to invest in it now and let it sit on your drive if it bombs, or wait for general fixes and community approval before buying. Your call.

Wiki here:
http://gta.wikia.com/Grand_Theft_Auto_V

other stuff:
http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-create-a-custom-radio-station-in-gta-5/
http://www.pcgamer.com/help-us-solve-gta-5s-huge-hidden-conspiracy/

List of in-game hobbies:

Scuba Diving
Shooting Range
Street Races
Tennis
Golf
Darts
Strip Club
Triathlon
Offroad Races
Bail Bond
Arms Trafficking Air
Arms Trafficking Ground
Hunting
Flight School
Sea Races
Yoga
Parachute Jumps

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 18, 2015, 06:05:12 AM

I guess on top of whether there are issues, would also be interested in your thoughts on the actual gameplay....seems to be mostly universally loved, but I have not seriously played any of the past versions.  Just curious too, do you own the Steam version, physical version, or the rockstar download?  I am leaning towards the physical version just because of the hefty download requirements (60gb).
Gameplay so far is pretty cool. I love stories in games and good characterisations. It keeps them immersive for me. Open world with missions when you want - right up my street.

Car driving is pretty crap. I was never good at it in GTA IV and I'm no better here. It's the "swing" camera thing where it doesn't stay locked to the boot of the car. This does have an FPS view for driving, but these kind of games I like to stay in third person...including when driving.

Overall, I'm impressed. It looks absolutely amazing to boot. At the start I'm playing a couple of gang bangers (is that the right term?) and they are good characters to play. I like the banter between them and the dialogue seems pretty realistic if not stereotypical. Actually kind of stereotypical overall.

I'm surprised at the amount of use the N word gets. It's not a word used very often in the UK and kind of generally frowned upon. Having said that - it fits - so why not. I'm not totally against PC - but I'm not totally for it either.

I bought the £39.99 version from Steam. It did take about 4 hours to download, but I left it overnight.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 18, 2015, 07:30:29 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 18, 2015, 06:05:12 AM

Gameplay so far is pretty cool. I love stories in games and good characterisations. It keeps them immersive for me. Open world with missions when you want - right up my street.

Car driving is pretty crap. I was never good at it in GTA IV and I'm no better here. It's the "swing" camera thing where it doesn't stay locked to the boot of the car. This does have an FPS view for driving, but these kind of games I like to stay in third person...including when driving.

Overall, I'm impressed. It looks absolutely amazing to boot. At the start I'm playing a couple of gang bangers (is that the right term?) and they are good characters to play. I like the banter between them and the dialogue seems pretty realistic if not stereotypical. Actually kind of stereotypical overall.

I'm surprised at the amount of use the N word gets. It's not a word used very often in the UK and kind of generally frowned upon. Having said that - it fits - so why not. I'm not totally against PC - but I'm not totally for it either.

I bought the £39.99 version from Steam. It did take about 4 hours to download, but I left it overnight.

Thanks...appreciate it...I see GMG (maybe I'll give download a shot, although that is Rockstar) has for $46 so thinking it might find its way into my hands soon:)

JudgeDredd

Oh...in case anyone it's under any illusions, this isn't for kids. In fact I'm pretty sure there are a few adults who would be shocked with some of the language and conversations...just a friendly warning
Alba gu' brath

Tpek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 18, 2015, 08:25:37 AM
Oh...in case anyone it's under any illusions, this isn't for kids. In fact I'm pretty sure there are a few adults who would be shocked with some of the language and conversations...just a friendly warning

LOL. Saying the GTA series isn't PG-13 is an understatement :P

Btw, how are you, as a Brit, handling having to drive on the right side of the road?
I know that even in my last trip to the UK (couple of weeks ago) I still found myself befuddled by the idea
of driving on the wrong side of the road   :))

JudgeDredd

I find it generally hard to drive in the game

But...as a family we go to Europe occasionally and I was in the army so I've had practice driving on the right hand side of the road...it's no biggie
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on April 18, 2015, 06:49:50 AM
The game is pretty buggy (lots of crashes).
And I've seen it having over-heating issues sometimes for no reason.

You could try to throttle the FPS on the game (limiting it to only 60 or even 30 or such) if you have over-heating problems.

I take exception to "game is pretty buggy comment"...I've played for over 5 hours. Not a single crash. Not a single glitch. Not a single bug. So with out more specifics, I think your problems are system related, not Game related.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18