Oriental Empires -- 4x historical strategy

Started by Martok, April 16, 2015, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Official announcement from publisher Iceberg Interactive:

QuoteBecome Supreme Ruler of Ancient China in Oriental Empires (PC)

Iceberg Interactive to Publish 4x Strategy Game Oriental Empires, Coming to Steam Early Access Mid-2015.

Haarlem, The Netherlands – April 16th, 2015 – Publisher Iceberg Interactive is excited to announce that they have signed a worldwide publishing deal for the epic 4x strategy game Oriental Empires (PC). The game is currently set for a Summer 2015 Early Access debut on the Steam Platform.

Development of Oriental Empires is being led by R.T. Smith and John Carline, two veteran strategy game developers with more than 30 years' experience between them. Previously they worked together on the Total War series of games, in roles including Project Director and Lead Artist, and have credits on many other AAA titles from studios including Crystal Dynamics, Pandemic, Frontier Developments, and Slightly Mad Studios.

Oriental Empires is a turn based 4X style civilization-building game set in ancient China. It will feature both single player campaigns as well as a multiplayer mode.  Oriental Empires covers the period from earliest recorded history, until the widespread adoption of firearms (roughly 1500 BC to 1500 AD) and aims to realistically depict the world of ancient China, with a focus on the unique aspects of that civilization. This extremely deep strategy game includes both an historic scenario on a realistic period map of China, and skirmish-style scenarios on random or user generated maps.

"We are extremely pleased to be involved in the upcoming release of Oriental Empires; it really is such a beautiful, deep and elaborate game that we can't possibly list all of its intriguing features in one press release. There are also many detailed future plans for DLC, user generated content and other additions, so this game is going to be around for a long, long time. Gamers can rejoice and get their first taste of a very complex and compelling strategy game come the Early Access release this Summer. If you love strategy games, you can't afford to miss out on this one!", says Erik Schreuder, CEO at Iceberg Interactive.

"We are delighted to be working with Iceberg Interactive, and very excited to finally announce our project Oriental Empires, which we have been quietly developing for some time", says R.T. Smith speaking on behalf of the developers.

About Oriental Empires
Step into the world of the ancient Orient. Control a city or tribe from the dawn of Chinese history, and turn it into a great empire. Develop your land, create great cities, raise huge armies and fight epic wars. Advance your technology, culture and religion to create one of mankind's great civilizations. All the action takes place on one spectacular game map that brings to life the mountains, forests, plains and deserts of China. Zoom in close to review your troops and see your peasants toiling, or zoom out for a strategic overview. Plan your battles, end your turn, and then watch as your armies obey your orders, with hundreds of soldiers battling right on the game map.

Key Features
•    Start out as a single nation or tribe, starting from humble beginnings with a single settlement and expand your empire and develop your culture with the aim of becoming the universally recognized Son of Heaven and ruler of the world.
•    Persuade the other factions to recognize you as such by either military force, or by diplomatic persuasion.
•    Play as one of 16 different factions each with their own special bonuses or penalties.
•    Vast beautifully rendered map featuring an attractive and authentic depiction of the landscape of China and Mongolia.
•    Large scale battles with hundreds or thousands of soldiers, depicted in detail right on the game map. Watch skilled armies and reinforcements go to battle, according to the battle orders and formations set by the player.
•    Fully animated 3D models, with variations in face and clothing for each model, including infantry, cavalry, chariot and artillery units, as well as naval forces.
•    Long seamless zoom range lets you step right into the game world or zoom out for a strategic overview.
•    Develop your settlements by constructing buildings and developing the landscape around them, build markets and ports to enable trade by land and water.
•    Elaborate research tree including technology as well as cultural, philosophical and religious developments.
•    Many other elements will determine the outcome of you quest for dominance such as Leaders, Sieges, Unrest and Rebellion, and Authority and Culture ratings.
•    As Emperor, set edicts, laws and decrees to balance power and move into a glorious new Era, with new technologies and military units that change the game!

It should be noted that R. T. Smith was the lead designer for the original Medieval Total War and the lead developer for Armada 2526.  Given my love for those two games, combined with my interest in ancient/feudal China, has me pretty damn excited for this one.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Ah...i've been ninja'd!!! Just wanted to report this  O0

Martok

Looks sort of like a combination between Civ 5, Endless Legend, and Total War... 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on April 16, 2015, 02:25:52 PM
I figured it was going to be a race between the two of us as to who would be the first to post the news.  :P 

Anguille

Quote from: Martok on April 16, 2015, 02:28:34 PM
Quote from: Anguille on April 16, 2015, 02:25:52 PM
I figured it was going to be a race between the two of us as to who would be the first to post the news.  :P

You're the best!

Anyway this is day one purchase for me  :D

Sir Slash

Thanks for the post Martok. Looks to be one to follow. I confess to be totally ignorant of ancient China and all it's history.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

glen55

Looks pretty sweet, but did they bite off more than they can chew?  If the underlying Civ game isn't good, the TW-looking battles will be pointless.

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Anguille

Quote from: glen55 on April 16, 2015, 02:47:29 PM
Looks pretty sweet, but did they bite off more than they can chew?  If the underlying Civ game isn't good, the TW-looking battles will be pointless.

The civ part of Medieval TW, Shogun TW and Armada 2526 worked really well....i am not worried.  ;)

Nefaro

O Rearrry?

This could be good... if it's not like Armada 2526.

Anguille

Quote from: Nefaro on April 16, 2015, 02:57:23 PM
O Rearrry?

Heresy....Armada 2526 is almost perfect ;)

Nefaro

Quote from: Anguille on April 16, 2015, 03:00:33 PM
O Rearrry?

Blech!

:P

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Anguille

Quote from: Nefaro on April 16, 2015, 03:03:59 PM
Quote from: Anguille on April 16, 2015, 03:00:33 PM
O Rearrry?

Blech!

:P

Seriously, for Armada 2526 he was alone leading the project....now there's a big team...it's going to be great!

Martok

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 16, 2015, 02:31:44 PM
Thanks for the post Martok. Looks to be one to follow. I confess to be totally ignorant of ancient China and all it's history.
In truth, I don't know a great deal myself.  However, the little I do know fascinates me. 

Quote from: glen55 on April 16, 2015, 02:47:29 PM

The strategic/empire-management side of Armada 2526 is one of the best (and maybe *the* best) I've ever seen in a strategy title.  If OE's game design is even remotely similar -- and I believe it is -- then I'm not concerned.  :)