This Weekend's Article: A Review of Total War Attila

Started by bayonetbrant, April 04, 2015, 07:25:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

We've got our review of Total War: Attila out there for your adulation and/or derision.  Send it all to Lloydington.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Boggit

Nice review. O0

It sounds a lot of fun. I truly hated the early release of Rome 2 with a passion, but I am slowly coming around to it now that it has had a zillion ;) patches. I otherwise agree with your take on the Total War series being a fan boy myself. I'm so very tempted to get Attila now, but I'll probably do so when I next upgrade my graphics card.

I hope they update the Rome 2 unit cards with the Attila ones. They look far better.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Staggerwing

Great job Gusinglloyd!

Maybe this will get me to take another look at the TW games. Sad Sack that I am, I own almost every iteration of them (excepting the original Samurai and this new one) but have never been able to get into them. (Eh? Why are you guys looking at me that way...?)

The one I played most was the Viking Expansion version of M:TW so now there may be hope...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Thanks guys. 'Wing you may be interested in one of the new 'Viking Forefathers' factions. They could be fleshed out a little more but they feel somewhat authentic and the Geats were fun for me to play.

Boggit - what kind of video card do you have? My GeForce card is not particularly new or edgy...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on April 04, 2015, 12:27:49 PM
Thanks guys. 'Wing you may be interested in one of the new 'Viking Forefathers' factions. They could be fleshed out a little more but they feel somewhat authentic and the Geats were fun for me to play.

Boggit - what kind of video card do you have? My GeForce card is not particularly new or edgy...
I have a Radeon HD5450. I have bought a Radeon R270 I bought last year, but struggles to fit my present case (together with a Corsair 750w PSU for it), but it awaits be buying a new case and transferring the motherboard, drives etc into it. That card will make a lot of difference.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

You may still be able to eke out a decent game on low or medium graphics-setting, especially if you have a decent amount of memory.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Good review!  It's pretty much what I expected Gus would say.  :) 

I suspect I'll end up waiting until they come out with the Attila version of the Emperor's Edition, but I will get it eventually.  I mostly like what's been added, but the era simply doesn't appeal that much to me, so I'm in no great hurry.  (That, and I honestly still enjoy Rome II so much!) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

If the era doesn't grab you, you most likely won't like Attila. Unless you enjoy the new game play mechanics. Which is a definite possibility because they are so different compared to what has come before in TW games.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on April 05, 2015, 02:10:37 PM
If the era doesn't grab you, you most likely won't like Attila. Unless you enjoy the new game play mechanics. Which is a definite possibility because they are so different compared to what has come before in TW games.
Thanks Gus.  Warning noted.  :) 

The mechanics do hold a fair degree of interest for me, including the addition/return of the family tree.  And I do have some interest in the late Roman Empire, just not nearly as much as when its strength was waxing/at its height.  (It's a bit dark for my tastes; I almost certainly qualify as a "historical romantic", hence why I'm such a sucker for the golden era of the Classical period...)  So I think there's enough in Attila that yes, I'll end up getting it down the road -- just not til an "everything edition" is available. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Great review Gus. Couldn't agree more, a tough Total War to win.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Thanks Slash. Have to admit I am enjoying the Lombard campaign I'm playing now more than the Huns or the Geats I mentioned in the article. I am barely more than surviving still, but there are many more interesting things going on in this campaign plus direct conflict with Western and Eastern Rome.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd