Turn based, 3rd person Skyrim?!

Started by undercovergeek, March 31, 2015, 04:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

BloodSweatNCode

Hey, I'm actually the developer of that game (I got eyes and ears everywhere!).

And I sort of wish that it was a little more Skyrim, but sadly it's really more of an FTL. But it's still a cool game!

Anyway - this post is the first post about the game (that I didn't write! It just went up on greenlight 3 days ago), so I'm taking a screenshot as a celebration!

Nefaro

I'm always up for some procedural turn-based Rogue-ish action.  O0

MetalDog

Quote from: BloodSweatNCode on March 31, 2015, 05:57:05 PM
Hey, I'm actually the developer of that game (I got eyes and ears everywhere!).

And I sort of wish that it was a little more Skyrim, but sadly it's really more of an FTL. But it's still a cool game!

Anyway - this post is the first post about the game (that I didn't write! It just went up on greenlight 3 days ago), so I'm taking a screenshot as a celebration!

Awesome!  Why don't you give us some insight on what you have here.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Huw the Poo

For anyone wondering, this game is called Blood, Sweat and Gold.  Looks interesting, but no mention of a Linux version so I'm out.

BloodSweatNCode

Sure, I'm supposed to be emailing press, but the reality is I'm way more comfortable in strat game forums.

The design for the game comes from a number of sources, from the original Darklands (1992) to XCOM:EU to King's Bounty/HOMM to Mount & Blade and finally, Faster Than Light. Although during the course of development, some elements didn't make it through to the final cut.

The real strategic elements were deeply inspired by FTL. You're pressed for time as you progress across the world map, chased by bounty hunters, you encounter a variety of situations where you take make decisions on the kinds of risks you're willing to take.

The skill system is based on finding Trainers at different towns. Since the trainers are placed randomly, you can't just blindly follow a character build, you need to adapt to what's being offered and how much you need new skills.

The combat system is hex based, and a great deal relies on surrounds and special abilities. Not all of the abilities are flashy, many of them are subtle requiring tactical trade-offs. You can push characters around through different hexes, and you can smash obstacles to change the shape of the map a bit.

Perma-death is a core part of the game. The entire design is based around the fact that your men are just men. But I also wanted to offer fair difficulty, and not just randomly kill your guys from across the map with the AI rolling a lucky 5% chance crit. So there's a system that's pretty cool in place where getting ko'd during a fight will leave wounds (the idea was inspired by afflictions in Dominions) although how exactly the wounds work and how curable they are is being tested.

The game is in alpha, and some things may change! But I think that any gamer who likes tb rpgs with perma death, or enjoyed FTL will like this game.

Anyway, there is literally no press. So let your strat gaming friends know! Vote for it on Greenlight, link it, share it with your strat gaming friends!

BloodSweatNCode

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 31, 2015, 06:40:14 PM
For anyone wondering, this game is called Blood, Sweat and Gold.  Looks interesting, but no mention of a Linux version so I'm out.

I can't commit to a linux release, but for the record it is a definite possibility. It depends largely on testing and how much linux based interest there is.

Barthheart

Voted. Looks cool. Darklands is still my favourite RPG game.

BloodSweatNCode

Quote from: Barthheart on March 31, 2015, 07:25:07 PM
Voted. Looks cool. Darklands is still my favourite RPG game.

I have it on my desktop right now. It'll always have a soft spot in my heart.

MetalDog

Thanks for the insight!  Good luck going forward :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

glen55

It sounds to me like FTL with different skins, improved combat, and this wounds system which I only vaguely understand from the description.

I'm interested.  FTL is a great game, and the same game with better combat could be great-tastic.  The other inspiration games are all winners, too.

Is your aim that the overall difficulty and probability of losing repeatedly be FTL-like?
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BloodSweatNCode

FTL was a huge inspiration. I actually sent an email to the guys who wrote FTL today. There are some differences, but the strategy map is very much FTL. The interface is largely inspired by XCOM:EU. If you watch the trailer, one of the town screens may remind you directly of XCOM's deployment screen.

The overall difficulty, pacing and length should be similar to FTL.

I have plans for more active AI agent interactions, inspired by Mount and Blade and mods like Diplomacy to really make the map more alive. But I don't want to release a buggy mess with features slapped on, and this may need to wait for an expansion.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 31, 2015, 06:40:14 PM
Looks interesting, but no mention of a Linux version so I'm out.

Man alive, Huw, will you just get a Windows box already?  You're like the only damned person in the world that uses Linux to game.   :idiot2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

Promptly voted for Greenlight. Hope it goes well, BS&C!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!