Ironcast-Turn based Steampunk Match-3 Combat w. Mechs? Yowza

Started by tgb, March 27, 2015, 09:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgb

Yep.  Turn-based mech combat during a French-English war in a steampunk universe.  Not enough? How about perma-death and Match-3 gameplay?

The Match-3 game is a way to collect resources that you need to blow stuff up - ammo, power, coolant, and repairs. You actually have two weapons, either energy or projectile based that are upgradable. Also completing a mission may earn you blueprints to build bigger guns.

The catch is you only have 3 tries at the board each turn. So do you use a shot at the board to get ammo, or are you desperately in need of coolant (doing anything with no coolant in the tank damages your own mech)? Do you have enough energy to power your shields and drives, or do you need more repair points for your big cannon?

The game is a roguelike in that there is perma-death - when your mech gets destroyed it's game over.  There's also a rogue-like element of luck not only in the Match-3 board but which missions come up as well as some random events.  The game has been compared to FTL for it's excellent meta-game.  At the end of every campaign, win or lose, you earn XP which is used to unlock new mechs, pilots, and perks for use in subsequent games.  It adds a lot to the replay value.

There are a lot of difficult choices to be made throughout the game. It may not have the marquee name attached, but this is a far better game than Sid's Starships.  $15 on Steam, currently on sale for $10.

Totalbiscuit's WTF

Windigo

Started watching the video before work. Will watch remainder over lunch... I could get into this game...  :smitten:
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I'm pretty sure I bought the hell out of this game yesterday during my post-Surface orgy. ...it's kind of a blur.

(Yesterday afternoon and night, I mean, not the game. Haven't tried it yet.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!