Consolidated Commands Ops 2 Gameplay thread

Started by bayonetbrant, March 21, 2015, 05:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

With much of the chatter in the other CO2 thread dealing with pricing, upgrades, compatibility, and bundling, we needed a thread specific to gameplay where discussions of tactics, scenarios, etc wouldn't get lost in the "business" dealings.

Chatter away!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jomni

Can I reassign a unit from one HQ to another?

TacticalWargames

Click the HQ then left shift and click what ever units you want to add.

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

MikeGER

in addition to -budd-s kind offer  :)

for new gamers who like to try the free 2.0 engine and the tutorial scenario, or those old hands, who didn't touched Command Ops for a longer time, i can highly recommend to (re)watch the older Battle from the Bulge Tutorial videos by PantherGames  ...its shows 'The way its meant to be played' by the developer himself  8)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqCQ9_6_8TlcBZZ5t5zVMowvZSOzoxoXG

there still very usefull even so the UI changed a bit and new features got added 

-budd-

the video's are the first thing i started with when i jumped back in....there  very well done O0.

Grim.Reaper

Have to agree, the videos were great and I am going through them again to familiarize myself again...I like the fact he talks about the "why", just not the "what".

Con

Is there an updated "whats new" section that explains all the new CO2 features and possibly the implications

these are just some example sI have and this is not a comprehensive list by any means
The new LOS is great but I was used to the old one so what does the new one do better?
Also the new supply rules
How to size the icons and can you change the new informtion they give now as smaller icons on them etc
What the footprint of the units means (why square versus rounded etc)

Thanks
Con

z1812

Is the commander pack and the core engine sold as a digital download?

Father Ted

Does anyone micro-manage arty?  On the tutorial video the chap sets aside some batteries for player-control, but I find I just leave it nearly all up to the AI.  I'll occasionally throw some harassing fire onto a juicy target, but when it comes to attacks I don't bother to coordinate the arty.  Am I missing something there?

-budd-

if i'm planning an attack, especially if i'm hitting more than one objective i'll make fire support groups and manage those for an attack including scheduling a pre-attack bombardment. if its a prepared defense i'll micro-manage my fire support groups to hammer them a little more then usual. it all depends on how many assets i have, i always try to leave some for the AI to manage. i can always re-attach when the need is over. you have to watch your ammo levels when micro-manage though.

dinsdale

Quote from: Father Ted on March 29, 2015, 12:19:31 PM
Does anyone micro-manage arty?  On the tutorial video the chap sets aside some batteries for player-control, but I find I just leave it nearly all up to the AI.  I'll occasionally throw some harassing fire onto a juicy target, but when it comes to attacks I don't bother to coordinate the arty.  Am I missing something there?

I try and assign artillery to a regiment or battalion and have that HQ coordinate the attack/defense. Divisional level artillery seems to be hard to predict. I try and avoid micromanaging except for rear guards or mopping up companies.

However, I have been slaughtered as the Germans in the Hoffen scenario three straight times, so maybe I need to reassess :)

-budd-

just played Hoffen last night. I got overly ambitious, I planned 3 attacks to go off at the same time on the near 3 objectives with one regiment per attack with 1 fire support group per attack. Hoffen north and south got repulsed, but managed to get into Monschau on the first attempt  and cleaned the objective area the next day. In Hoffen i pulled back and had them rest and switched the Hoffen north attack group to hit Hoffen south from the north and while the other regiment hit it from the south and after harrassing the units in Hoffen south with arty while my group rested and prepared to attack again.Manage to push them out of Hoffen proper and when the 751th arrived brought them up with haste up from the south to clear Hoffen south and then let them get some rest after securing Hoffen South. Once the assault guns arrived i put an attack group together and hit Hoffen north, my assault guns got destroyed by an AT gun but i managed to push them out of  Hoffen north proper, but ran out of time before i could clear the objective zone....result...DRAW.. wasn't too unhappy with this result i was always on the attack and i inflicted more casualties than i took.