Best Free Wargames?

Started by davidshq, March 20, 2015, 08:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidshq

I'm wondering what your favorite free wargames are? e.g. freeware or open source.

Dave

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

if you consider Wesnoth a wargame, it's pretty fantastic.  We cover it on next week's podcast :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

it may not have shiny graphics but I cant think of a game that lets you do more with your sandbox.  Aurora that is.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

davidshq

I consider Wesnoth a wargame...it is a good game, whatever genre you put it in.

DoctorQuest

Global Conflict Blue - http://www.gcblue.com (hmm. download link does not work. hope that's a temporary issue. Try here. http://www.gcblue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1152#p6620)

Ok. REALLY NOT A WARGAME but absolutely one of the best free "games" out there. Orbiter..... http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Lowenstaat

I recommend Armored Brigade http://www.armoredbrigade.com/
Features description from the website:
Real-time engine
Time period: 1987
Nationalities: Finland, France, FRG, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, UK, USA, USSR, Yugoslavia
Lowest level unit is a single team/vehicle
Dynamic AI
Large maps, based on real terrain. The maximum battle size is about 15x15 kilometers
Neutral units
Artillery with several munition types
Close air support, air defences. Air-to-air engagements are possible
Fortifications, obstacles and breaching
Dynamic time of day and variable visibility, wind and ground conditions
Night vision equipment, smoke generators, illumination flares
Unit morale, experience level and fatigue, command delay
External XML database for the armies, units, weapons etc.
Battle and map generator
3D sound engine
"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

jomni

People's Tactics.  Advanced Tactics' predecessor. http://advancedtactics.org/

TripJack

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 20, 2015, 09:16:26 PM
if you consider Wesnoth a wargame, it's pretty fantastic.  We cover it on next week's podcast :)

Oooh, nice! I've always wanted to try Wesnoth. Should be another interesting podcast.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: TripJack on March 21, 2015, 12:04:57 PM
Steel Panthers of course
SPMBT
SPWW2

cant do Steel Panthers....

its that one chick in college that you totally jumped into but she ruined 2 semesters for you.

21sec

Armored Brigade
www.armoredbrigade.com

We continue to develop the freeware version. You can edit the database, create new maps, add your on images and sprites. It's fun and easy to play. Plus we're always working on improving the game, and will have some big news soon.

GDS_Starfury

hmmm  going to have to look into that one.