Falcon NW Tiki Steam machine on the way! (...oh, I guess from Asus, too...)

Started by JasonPratt, March 20, 2015, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

The Asus model will be like a "console" (read: PS4) and retail for $700 (plus monitor and accoutrements).

The Falcon model will not be like a "console" (read: it will be like a Falcon Tiki), and if you have to ask you can't afford it.   >:D

Both will run SteamOS.

...what's SteamOS? Win10 that works? Linux or Linux, however you say it, or find it or run it or mod it or play it?  ???

These are questions I don't care much about, but other people might and I love Falcon NW, so...  :smitten:

Edited to add a link to all the currently coming Steam Machines, which I originally forgot to do  :crazy2:

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

What's the advantage of one of these over a good ole fashioned Windows PC?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bbmike on March 20, 2015, 06:39:21 PM
What's the advantage of one of these over a good ole fashioned Windows PC?

That's an excellent question.  Even Steam diehards and Linux diehards are struggling to think what the target demographic might be.  I think it's a waste of time from Valve's perspective, but speaking purely (and selfishly) as a Linux user I'm all for it; anything that raises the profile of my chosen OS as a gaming platform is fine by me!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 20, 2015, 05:55:12 PM
So far this thread suffers from lack of link.

{smacking forehead}

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam_machines

That shows all the proposed Steam Machines coming, so far, not just the Falcon and Asus machines.

Will update the OP, too.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

I kind of think it's a waste of time from the buyers' perspective, but from a marketing perspective Valve would be foolish not to go for it assuming anyone bothered to set up a product, which clearly about a dozen manufactures decided to do.

Valve thus presumably picks up a small royalty from every unit sold, and never has to hit a lick at a snake. The manufacturers were already building that kind of thing anyway, so they sell a few more because of the connection to the Steam name.

Everyone wins, except the user. Maybe them, too, I can't tell yet.

Staggerwing

It remains to be seen if it will be cheaper to buy one of these readymades or build your own Steambox from comparable parts (though most likely a bit larger and more clunky-looking), factoring the value of one's own time and abilities into the build. The low-end Alienware offering does seem like it would a bit anemic in the performance dept.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

JasonPratt

Oh it will always be cheaper to build one's own, no doubt.

I gladly pay Falcon for their skill and ongoing tech support (and for not needing much tech support because of their skill). My late pupil, who was a genius in several ways (going for his master's degree in late teens, when he died), was skillful enough to build a new rig every year or two, and still didn't pay as much as I did on one rig (probably). His rigs also struggled to run as fast, despite them being giant towers and mine being a laptop. But he enjoyed the challenge, and was able to keep his rigs current, while my 'desktop replacement' laptop naturally started lagging behind eventually.

Then again, his all burned up eventually, and mine still works today, albeit only on XPSP2. But he learned a lot more doing his than I ever did or ever will. So there are pros and cons either way.  O0

JasonPratt

Like Mike and Huw said, though, I can't figure out why I would pay Falcon (or anyone else) for this, instead of for one of their regular Tikis (even running a Linux OS, assuming I wanted to do that for some reason).

Admittedly, it's nice that they'll be releasing around my birthday. But still. If I wanted a console sized Falcon, why wouldn't I get a Tiki Z or whatever the equivalent will be come this November?

http://www.falcon-nw.com/promo/tiki-z

Staggerwing

If you do build your own one advantage is that you can do some targeted upgrades to extend the life of your rig before replacing it. It will remain to be seen if the readymades will allow processor and gfx upgrades or more memory and, if so, you are restricted to only a few options due to space ( such as 1/2 height gfx cards) or proprietary board or power supply design.

JasonPratt

Upgrading isn't usually a problem for Falcs; though on the other hand that does somewhat depend on how much space you have and those Tiki rigs, by design, don't have much. They had to redesign the inside a little in order to put two Titans into the new Tiki Z.